News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Chicago to Asheville - mid-November

Started by abefroman329, September 15, 2021, 11:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Hi all -

Exactly what it says on the tin.  I'm planning to drive to Asheville, NC in mid-November.  I hope to stop in Cincinnati to visit friends from out East on the way out or back and drive straight through on the opposite leg.  Any advice on the route, or can I follow Google Maps' recommendation?

Also, I'm planning to rent a car for the trip, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide between renting a sedan and an SUV.  We bought a new Tucson in April (and love it), but I'm keenly aware that driving it at high speeds is much different than driving a sedan at high speeds.  On the other hand, I'd much rather be in an SUV if there's winter weather, and it looks like I-75 takes me through some notably mountainous areas south of Berea, KY [stupid question, I know, but I-75 south of Cincinnati, I-64 east of Louisville, and I-40 south of I-81 are all new mileage for me].  What do you think, sedan or SUV?

Thanks!

snowc

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 15, 2021, 11:17:05 AM
Hi all -

Exactly what it says on the tin.  I'm planning to drive to Asheville, NC in mid-November.  I hope to stop in Cincinnati to visit friends from out East on the way out or back and drive straight through on the opposite leg.  Any advice on the route, or can I follow Google Maps' recommendation?

Also, I'm planning to rent a car for the trip, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide between renting a sedan and an SUV.  We bought a new Tucson in April (and love it), but I'm keenly aware that driving it at high speeds is much different than driving a sedan at high speeds.  On the other hand, I'd much rather be in an SUV if there's winter weather, and it looks like I-75 takes me through some notably mountainous areas south of Berea, KY [stupid question, I know, but I-75 south of Cincinnati, I-64 east of Louisville, and I-40 south of I-81 are all new mileage for me].  What do you think, sedan or SUV?

Thanks!
Its been a while since I visited Asheville.
I would recommend I75 to I40.
One thing, DO NOT STAY AT THE DAYS INN AT TUNNEL RD!
:colorful: :colorful: I ALMOST GOT KIDNAPPED IN 2007. :ded:

abefroman329

Quote from: snowc on September 15, 2021, 11:19:57 AM
I would recommend I77 to I40.

Really?  That'd be quite a detour.

Quote from: snowc on September 15, 2021, 11:19:57 AMOne thing, DO NOT STAY AT THE DAYS INN AT TUNNEL RD!

Yikes!  I definitely won't stay there.  I probably won't stay at any Days Inn, I'm getting to be a bit of a hotel snob in my old age.

SkyPesos

From Cincinnati to Asheville, I-75 to I-40 is the fastest route. If you want a drive off the interstates, but still on a 4 lane road most if the way, try the AA Highway (KY 9) to I-64, then US 23 (ADHS Corridor B) to Asheville.

abefroman329

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 15, 2021, 12:02:35 PM
From Cincinnati to Asheville, I-75 to I-40 is the fastest route. If you want a drive off the interstates, but still on a 4 lane road most if the way, try the AA Highway (KY 9) to I-64, then US 23 (ADHS Corridor B) to Asheville.

Thanks, I'll consider that route if time permits.

snowc

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 15, 2021, 11:40:33 AM

Quote from: snowc on September 15, 2021, 11:19:57 AMOne thing, DO NOT STAY AT THE DAYS INN AT TUNNEL RD!

Yikes!  I definitely won't stay there.  I probably won't stay at any Days Inn, I'm getting to be a bit of a hotel snob in my old age.
Updated because my 7 key was stuck! :colorful:

abefroman329

Quote from: snowc on September 15, 2021, 02:27:35 PM

Ah - that makes much more sense!

hbelkins

Exit off I-75 at Exit 29 and take US 25E through Cumberland Gap to Morristown. Use I-81 south for eight miles to rejoin I-40. You avoid the mountain just after crossing into Tennessee, which can be painfully frustrating since it's just two lanes due to micropassing trucks.

Lots of construction on I-75 between Mt. Vernon and Corbin.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2021, 03:12:07 PMLots of construction on I-75 between Mt. Vernon and Corbin.

And it will still be going on in two months?

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 15, 2021, 03:21:20 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2021, 03:12:07 PMLots of construction on I-75 between Mt. Vernon and Corbin.

And it will still be going on in two months?

Probably. This is long-term widening.

abefroman329

abefroman329

So spending Thursday night outside Cincinnati is looking to be the likeliest scenario.  I found this hotel, has anyone stayed there?

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/cvgmfru-tru-milford-cincinnati/

Also, just in case I don't feel like driving straight through when I go home, can anyone recommend a hotel, say, along the northeast portion of I-640, between I-40 and I-75?

snowc

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 24, 2021, 12:43:51 PM
So spending Thursday night outside Cincinnati is looking to be the likeliest scenario.  I found this hotel, has anyone stayed there?

Also, just in case I don't feel like driving straight through when I go home, can anyone recommend a hotel, say, along the northeast portion of I-640, between I-40 and I-75?
Tru by Hilton is very nice, but locations are near major cities and the one over by Camillus Costco is very snug! Much similar to a modernized version of Comfort Inn. Brand new construction and opened in 2021. Tru brand was built in 2019.  :clap:

abefroman329

Quote from: snowc on September 27, 2021, 03:11:28 PM

Tru by Hilton is very nice, but locations are near major cities and the one over by Camillus Costco is very snug! Much similar to a modernized version of Comfort Inn. Brand new construction and opened in 2021. Tru brand was built in 2019.  :clap:
Thanks - and thanks for the reminder to edit my post!  I'm now going to either stay with friends in Cincinnati or at the Comfort Suites in Newport, KY, depending on how a few things shake out.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 15, 2021, 03:09:59 PM

I'm not wishing for any ill will, but I'd sit for the story about how he was kidnapped in 2077.

Konza

I drove from Asheville to Chicago in early July.

Drove I-40 to I-75 to I-64 to I-65, mostly because I had not previously been on the segments in question on the east-west routes.  I broke it up with an overnight stay near Indianapolis.

The segment on I-40 between Asheville and Knoxville is simply gorgeous.  There was construction on I-75 in far southern Kentucky that, along with some extremely rainy weather, cost me at least two hours.  I definitely would check on its status.

Not sure if it would have been faster through Cincinnati, but I was going to be going through there later in the trip, so opted for some different scenery.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

hbelkins

Speaking of I-75 in Kentucky, there is an ongoing bridge project at the Clays Ferry Bridge (MM 98) that is really tying up traffic.

I suggest following KYTC's District 7 on Twitter or Facebook for updates.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Konza on September 27, 2021, 08:26:37 PM
Not sure if it would have been faster through Cincinnati, but I was going to be going through there later in the trip, so opted for some different scenery.
I-74 has less traffic than I-65 in IN, and you don't have to deal with the two toll bridges in Louisville.

SkyPesos

Never stayed in a Tru hotel before, but from the description, prices and images, looks like its around the quality of an Aloft or Hyatt House.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on September 27, 2021, 04:52:15 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on September 15, 2021, 03:09:59 PM

I'm not wishing for any ill will, but I'd sit for the story about how he was kidnapped in 2077.
It was (will be) in the year 2777. There won't be a thing to chew. No one will look at you.

abefroman329

Quote from: Konza on September 27, 2021, 08:26:37 PM
I drove from Asheville to Chicago in early July.

Drove I-40 to I-75 to I-64 to I-65, mostly because I had not previously been on the segments in question on the east-west routes.  I broke it up with an overnight stay near Indianapolis.

The segment on I-40 between Asheville and Knoxville is simply gorgeous.  There was construction on I-75 in far southern Kentucky that, along with some extremely rainy weather, cost me at least two hours.  I definitely would check on its status.

I-65 between Chicago and Indianapolis is probably going to be the most boring part of the trip. And it's not anything specific to NW Indiana, I've taken US-41 from Evansville to Chicago and it wasn't as boring.

I'm glad to hear the portion on I-40 will be interesting, and that I'll be driving it during daylight hours.

abefroman329

A few updates:

Current plan is to leave town on a Wednesday evening, spend that night at my mother-in-law's house in Valpo, IN (she'll be here), and then drive to Cincinnati on Thursday morning.  I'm planning to visit the American Sign Museum (https://www.americansignmuseum.org/), which I hadn't even heard of until my brother told me about it last weekend; I'm pretty excited about that.  I'll spend Thursday night at the Aloft in Newport, KY and then leave to finish the drive to Asheville very early on Friday morning.

Plans for the drive home are still very much TBD - we'll have to leave the AirBnB sometime on Monday morning, and I don't have to be back to work until Wednesday.

I think I've decided on a premium sedan from Hertz, although I have a reservation for a comparable car from Avis as well, and, frankly, I'm probably just going to call both agencies the day I'm to pick up the car to see what they're going to assign to me.

It would appear that I don't need to rent an SUV for the purposes of driving through potential wintery weather - is this correct?

1995hoo

I hadn't looked at this thread before. I see the various comments about Tru by Hilton. We stayed in the one on US-52 near Florence, SC, in June. We would not likely stay there again unless no other nearby hotel were available. The space was weird. No closet, no real storage space. I suppose that's not a big deal if you're only there for one night, as we were, but we didn't love hanging our stuff on hooks on the wall, there was only the one rolling desk chair, and the floor felt greasy under our bare feet. The bathroom was OK, though.

By no means the worst place we've ever stayed, but we prefer something a little less.....unconventional. I would never even consider a Tru for a multiple-night stay somewhere.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

^ I had a very similar reaction to Tru (in my case, the one in Greensboro GA). The nicer way to put it is that it's comparable to the best modern-design Motel 6s, with elevators and (unlike Motel 6s) might have some hot breakfast offerings.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Incidentally, one of the things we noted is that they suggested storing stuff under the bed (which was on sort of a metal shelf rather than a pedestal like in most hotels). That's one of the precise things we don't want to do in a hotel. Too easy to overlook a smaller object under there.

I think maybe Tru is aimed at a younger demographic than Ms1995hoo and me!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.