News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-75 Thru the Valley

Started by iBallasticwolf2, April 15, 2017, 11:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

Starting this fall, the I-75 Thru the Valley Project is going to begin with Phases 1 and 2.  The project includes improvements and widening between OH 126 Cross County Highway and I-275. Going by the current timeline on the ODOT page for Thru the Valley (http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D08/ThruTheValley/pages/default.aspx) most of the construction will be complete by Fall 2021, except for Phase 6.

PHASES 1 and 2 Fall 2017-Fall 2020
I-75 widening and resurfacing between Shepard Lane and Glendale-Milford Road.  The Shepard Lane interchange will be redesigned and the frontage roads at GE will be removed.  A new local roadway between Shepard Lane and Glendale-Milford Road directly through GE will replace the old frontage roads.
PHASE 3 Spring 2020-Fall 2021
Adding 4th lane in each direction and auxilary lanes at OH 126 interchange.  Reconstruct Galbraith road left exit as a right-hand exit, and improve ramps at the interchange.
PHASE 4 Unknown
Replace Norfolk Southern Railroad bridge over I-75 just north of Galbraith Road.
PHASE 5 Spring 2020-Fall 2021
Add 4th lane and auxiliary lane between Shepard Lane and Galbraith Road.  Considering what is involved in widening the Lockland Split, I estimate it will take 2-3 years to do this.  This involves rebuilding the southbound I-75 depressed freeway.  There has already been ROW acquisition here (https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.2286663,-84.450473,3a,75y,170.14h,95.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skgrjnNADCCosB5FPQmxFHA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656).  This phase also involves building a ramp from I-75 southbound to OH 126 westbound to complete one of the missing movements in the interchange.
PHASE 6 Spring 2022-Fall 2024
Add 4th lane and auxiliary lane on northbound I-75 between Galbraith Road and Shepard Lane.  This will involve widening the viaduct that carries I-75 northbound through the Lockland Split.  I am not sure if the lone ramp to Davis Street will be affected by this.  This phase also involves building a direct connection between westbound OH 126 and northbound I-75.  A direct connection will be very helpful but will involve a bridge over Mill Creek and Galbraith Road; how ODOT approaches this will be interesting.
Phase 7 was absorbed into the other phases
PHASE 8 Spring 2020-Fall 2021
Add 4th lane and auxiliary lanes on both directions of I-75 between Glendale-Milford Road and I-275 (I-275 interchange improvements next?).  Add turn lanes on Sharon Road at I-75 and Chester Road intersections.

Personally I welcome these improvements even if it is a mess during construction like it has been on the further south construction on I-75.  I am disappointed by the lack of any changes to Cooper Avenue death-ramps in the Lockland Split, and ODOT could have built ramps to complete ALL of the missing movements at the OH 126 interchange.  But otherwise, this will help traffic a lot.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Interstate 69 Fan

Meh. Widening isn't news for I-75...
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Alex

Good to finally see progress on this... Am familiar with the project from old updates to the web site.

From Interstate guide in 2005:
QuoteThe Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana (OKI) Regional Council voted on October 9, 2003, to approve the mixed highway expansion and new light-rail plan.

QuoteThe plan can now formally be considered for the 30-year long range transportation plan of the region. It is expected to take between 15 and 25 years for the project to be fully implemented.

From Interstate guide in 2006:
QuoteKnown as the Thru the Valley Project or North-South Transportation Initiative, construction is scheduled between 2010 and 2013.
The alternatives had not been finalized at that point, and it took until 2009 before they finally settled on eight phases.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on April 16, 2017, 06:35:37 PM
Meh. Widening isn't news for I-75...
But this project includes more than just widening.  The whole GE C/D ramps will be replaced and some of the OH 126 interchange fixed.  Hopefully we can see C/D ramps or a new flyover at the I-275 interchange next to stop the weaving problems.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Henry

I'm in favor for widening any interstate, as long as it's reasonable.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.