News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Queen Elizabeth II dies at age 96

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 08, 2022, 11:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2022, 06:50:43 AM
It would be one thing if we lived in the country she was actually queen of. But we don't. Her death is a mere curiosity here. It doesn't justify prime time coverage.
The point of the American Revolution was not to ensure we would never care about the UK again; it was to ensure we would have the freedom to choose whether to do so.

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2022, 01:06:40 PM
If PBS expected their viewership for the documentary to be less than for the funeral replay . . . then give the people what they want.
100%

bulldog1979

A friend last night though provided a good take on the passing of HM The Queen. Many people followed the events for reasons similar to following the election of a new pope. The events may not have much personal impact, as many of us are not citizens of a Commonwealth realm or Catholic, but they are a window into the traditions of history that don't happen every day.

While we elect and inaugurate a president every four years, a Demise of the Crown is much less infrequent. From the formation of the United States onward, this is only the ninth, and the first in the living memory of most of our population. Yes, much of that is due to the longevity of two queens who collectively reigned for over 164 years, but it is still an unpredictable and infrequent occurrence.

I have more personal reasons, which I'll share at some later time, but for me, it was a matter of respect for a very remarkable person to follow the events leading up to the funeral.

JayhawkCO

I'll be blunt. To me, it felt like the O.J. trial. Something that consumed the "front page" of all news outlets that seemed to make no sense the amount of attention that it was getting. Hell, part of the U.S. got crushed by a hurricane and the entire territory was without power and no one gave a shit.

triplemultiplex

All I can think about during this whole thing:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

elsmere241

Quote from: elsmere241 on September 14, 2022, 02:51:15 PMYes, it's telling that the UK's national anthem is about the monarchy, while the USA's is about the flag.

And now the directed allegiance will match too:

https://punchng.com/millions-to-swear-allegiance-to-king-charles-in-historic-coronation/

QuoteDuring the homage, 150 million people across the UK and Commonwealth will be called upon to say: "˜I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.' After a fanfare, the public will add: "˜God save King Charles. Long live King Charles. May the King live for ever.'

mgk920

Quote from: elsmere241 on May 04, 2023, 02:05:34 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on September 14, 2022, 02:51:15 PMYes, it's telling that the UK's national anthem is about the monarchy, while the USA's is about the flag.

And now the directed allegiance will match too:

https://punchng.com/millions-to-swear-allegiance-to-king-charles-in-historic-coronation/

QuoteDuring the homage, 150 million people across the UK and Commonwealth will be called upon to say: "˜I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.' After a fanfare, the public will add: "˜God save King Charles. Long live King Charles. May the King live for ever.'

And sing "God Save the King".

:nod:

Mike

LilianaUwU

All I gotta say about today's royal event is "ugh".
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

J N Winkler

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 06, 2023, 11:47:12 AMAll I gotta say about today's royal event is "ugh".

In the words of John Crace, the Guardian's parliamentary sketch writer:  "Strong bladders required."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

LilianaUwU

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 06, 2023, 12:18:06 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 06, 2023, 11:47:12 AMAll I gotta say about today's royal event is "ugh".

In the words of John Crace, the Guardian's parliamentary sketch writer:  "Strong bladders required."
The need for a strong bladder is the least of my problems here.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ClassicHasClass

I'm certain we'll be in the minority, but my wife (Aussie) and I (dual Aussie-US) got up at 2:30am U.S. Pacific time and watched it live. We found it interesting and liked the historical aspects.

J N Winkler

Today the Guardian reports that public bodies in Britain incurred expenses aggregating to £161.7 million in connection with the Queen's death.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 18, 2023, 01:07:22 PM
Today the Guardian reports that public bodies in Britain incurred expenses aggregating to £161.7 million in connection with the Queen's death.

That's about $200m USD.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.