News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AR: I-540/future I-49

Started by Voyager, January 20, 2009, 06:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Is the I-540 extension going ahead as they had planned north of Bentonville?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

Last I heard it was going to be built as a toll road.

agentsteel53

you mean Walmart's not gonna pay for it all by themselves?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: aaroads on January 20, 2009, 06:31:39 PM
Last I heard it was going to be built as a toll road.

That is still up for debate. The Arkansas Legislature will have to re-write a couple laws to allow a toll road.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

lamsalfl

I hope they get started on the first four miles remaining of I-49 to the LA border soon.  LA is already working on a 7 mile segment.  Actually construction started well over a year ago.. maybe even 2.  It won't connect to I-220 soon, but it's time to get cracking on Arkansas' road to the border.

Alex

Well Arkansas was waiting for Louisiana to do something. They didn't feel like building a road that would dead-end at the state line.

US71

Quote from: aaroads on January 28, 2009, 02:23:31 AM
Well Arkansas was waiting for Louisiana to do something. They didn't feel like building a road that would dead-end at the state line.

And Missouri has been waiting for Arkansas to commit on the Bella Vista-State Line section  ;-)

Not that we'll see any I-49 signs in the near future.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: aaroads on January 28, 2009, 02:23:31 AM

Hey, don't blame us... :pan: :pan:...LaDOTD just let a contract to complete the last section of I-49 North to the AR state line. Maybe it's just for clearing and grubbing for now, with actual paving awaiting the stimulus bill package passing Congress, but at least it's there.

Anthony

Tomahawkin

For such large Truck Traffic (J.B. Hunt/Tyson/Wal-Mart) in NWA I-540 is the most backwards Interstate in the state...I'mean C-mon, Even Conway and J-boro has Overhead lighting on its respective interstates and the NWA has none, WTF...? No Lighting and No Reflectors on the roads (Which is really bad during storms and freezing rain. It's No wonder why Arkansas is in the Top 5 when it Comes to interstate ratings by Truckers/Tourists...

I dunno How many people it has happened to but many will come across a deer or someother wildlife entering I-540 Between the Alma Exit and the end of its terminus...(Including myself) And I think the whole route needs median lighting just so Truckers/Tourists become easier aware of them

And I will start another thread about the underdeveloped interchanges in NWA, as well as I think there should be Barrier fances at least 25ft off the shoulders of the Boston Mtns. Area between mileposts 55 and 15 if you are going due south...

Thoughts....?

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on January 31, 2009, 02:56:24 AM

And I will start another thread about the underdeveloped interchanges in NWA, as well as I think there should be Barrier fances at least 25ft off the shoulders of the Boston Mtns. Area between mileposts 55 and 15 if you are going due south...

Thoughts....?

I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned barrier fences following the bridge accident a couple weeks ago. Yes, they are needed, but AHTD is cheap.

As far as interchanges, some superficial changes have been made at a few of them (extra turn lanes on the ramps, etc), but there is a proposal to upgrade 540 to 6 or 8 lanes plus add roundabouts & SPUI's at some interchanges, but no actual timetable.

See: http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning/I-540/FINREPORT40706.PDF

Alex

I got a copy of the 2008 Arkansas Highway map in the mail today and I was surprised to learn that Interstate 49 is shown as proposed heading northwest from Texarkana into a portion of Texas. Is this alignment set in stone? It also shows Future I-49 branching northeast from AR-245 to a new crossing of Interstate 30.

Alex

So that explains what was under construction in these Justin photos along Interstate 30:
https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/arkansas001/i-030_eb_exit_007_02.jpg
https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/arkansas001/i-030_eb_exit_007_03.jpg

What is the time table on this?

bugo

Quote from: froggie on March 29, 2009, 08:24:44 AM
The "branching northeast from AR 245 to I-30" was under construction last June when I passed through the area.

One of the items I was able to salvage (more like insisted on salvaging) from Katrina was a map I received from AHTD several years ago (I wanna say 2000 or 2001 but I don't remember) which shows the "preferred alternative" for I-49 between Texarkana and DeQueen.  The route shown on the 2008 Arkansas map is more or less the same as that preferred alternative from years ago.

I have a series of preferred alternative maps for I-49 from Alma to De Queen.  They're in storage in Mena, so I could have had a similar situation but luckily my mother's house where they're stored sustained little damage, unlike much of the rest of town.

Alex

I am updating the Interstate Guide on Future Interstate 130 at Texarkana to reflect that the designation was dropped in favor of signing the route as Interstate 49 once Louisiana finishes their portion? Is this more or less accurate?

The current page indicates that Future I-130 signs went up in winter 2001, but when we drove AR-245 in 2003, we saw no such signs.

Also, when Interstate 49 does come to town, will Arkansas 245 be retained as the designation west to Texas Loop 151?

US71

I was in Texarkana last year and there were still NO signs for I-130. Nor are there any "Future I-49" signs.

As far as 245, I'm going to guess "yes" since it also continues north of I-30 for about a mile, albeit as a 2 lane road.

I-555
AHTD reported in March the upgrade of US 63 is complete from US 49 to near Payneway and under construction between Payneway and I-55. I thought that section was already finished, however. I know the 55/63/555 interchange is complete and new exit signs are up (with a blank spot for the 555 shield).
I need to get over that way and check it out.

Tomahawkin

Anyone Who has ever been to Fayetteville or live there wish that I-540 was 8 lanes...?

Eventually that Route will be I-49 which will bring along added traffic, mainly trucks...If the state was wise they'd be doing interchange inprovements from exits 62-67 and exit 72 to accomdate future traffic counts...

We did several studies of what will happen once I-540 becomes I-49 as a way of lobbying for that route to get underway so that the N. Orleans to K. City corridor can get completed

Also I would like to see streetlights on I-540 From I-40 to Greenland...That route gets dangerous at night let alone when there is freezing drizzle/ice plus the deer population is rampant through there

US71

QuoteAnyone Who has ever been to Fayetteville or live there wish that I-540 was 8 lanes...?

I used to live there. There is a proposal to widen 540 to 6 lanes, but AHTD has no money. In the interim, some of the busier interchanges are being renovated.

The problem with going to 6 lanes will probably be the close proximity of businesses next to 540, many of which were built when it was merely US 71 (the Fayetteville section was built as an at-grade 2 Lane circa 1971) and the standards were not as strict.  I almost expect the median to be replaced by a Jersey Barrier if they are going to make things work.

8 Lanes is, I think, overkill. 6 lanes may be needed. However,  Exit 62 (US 62, AR 180: MLK Blvd) is in desperate need of upgrading due in a large part to all the football traffic stuck on the shoulder of SB 540 trying to turn off onto 180.

Tomahawkin

The Reason that I specify that 540 should be 8 lanes is because the city is one of the fastest growing in the country, mainly people form California moving there because the cost of living is cheap in comparision...

Plus If I-49 is completed then that will mean more trucks from J.B. Hunt Tyson and Wal-Mart using that route...And lastly It will help the Traffic from the Razorback games...Gotta plan for the future...

Agreed on one issue The State has no money to work with to expedite this matter...

US71

QuoteThe Reason that I specify that 540 should be 8 lanes is because the city is one of the fastest growing in the country, mainly people form California moving there because the cost of living is cheap in comparision...

Maybe it needs it, but is is feasable? As I said earlier, there are too many commercial interests too close to I-540 to make it easy to do 8 Lanes. 6 Lanes, they could probably do (I've seen plans somewhere), but I don't think 8 would work. Building an 8 lane freeway just to handle football traffic is like building a hotel that's only busy 3 days a week (oh wait! Bentonville already has those  :-P )

US71

apjung

bump

Has anyone snapped any pictures of new I-49 signs? How are the mileposts posted in Arkansas? Are they posted in Louisiana and Missouri style with the small Interstate shield and direction?

EDIT: Found this blog on I-49 signs in Arkansas.
http://road-less-taken.blogspot.com/2014/04/theyre-heeeere.html

Anthony_JK

US71

Quote from: apjung on April 29, 2014, 04:03:16 AM
bump

Has anyone snapped any pictures of new I-49 signs? How are the mileposts posted in Arkansas? Are they posted in Louisiana and Missouri style with the small Interstate shield and direction?

EDIT: Found this blog on I-49 signs in Arkansas.
http://road-less-taken.blogspot.com/2014/04/theyre-heeeere.html

The mileposts are "generic": no shields, just  "Mile XX"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.