Big construction project at the Newhall interchange--what are they building?

Started by hm insulators, January 06, 2010, 11:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hm insulators

I was in California over the holidays and I stayed at a motel in Sylmar. One evening, I decided to brave the Newhall interchange bottleneck for some prime rib at a Black Angus near Magic Mountain, and as I headed up the I-5 past California 14, I noticed in the gathering dusk huge construction cranes by the interchange and even some large bridge piles (supports) lying near the freeway. Intrigued, I drove through the interchange during the daytime a couple of afternoons later.

Looks like they're doing a major revamping of the I-5/I-210/California 14 interchange? Anybody in the San Fernando Valley area or Los Angeles care to elaborate?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

FreewayDan

The construction that's been going on at the Newhall Pass interchange is new Direct HOV Connectors from I-5 to California 14.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/travel/projects/details.php?id=32
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

J N Winkler

Construction plans are still available:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/project_ads_addenda/07/07-168004/plans/as_advertised/

(In order to find them, I had first to find the Caltrans engineering authorization [EA] number, which--with the district number--forms the Caltrans contract number.  It turns out that if you click on "Project-related press releases," you get sent to a Flash-generated page with links to relevant press releases, all of which have the first five digits of the EA in their URLs.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.