Bridges built to become movable, but never operated.

Started by SteveG1988, April 30, 2018, 03:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Quote from: Jacob1980 on August 16, 2020, 04:34:40 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 30, 2018, 03:47:54 PM
While bored after driving down I-85,65,10 to get to I-59 in the truck...i looked into why I-10 at the MS/LA state line has a high bridge that has oddly placed expansion joints. It just so happens that when it was built in the late 60s NASA wanted it to be movable because of a planned "Nova" rocket that was to be bigger than the Saturn V, and would need to go up the Pearl River from Michaud to Stennis. It requires a look from the side to see the original intent of the bridge design.

Are there any other bridges like this?

When the grate was removed from this drawbridge, I remembered my dad saying there was another one he hard in the news that was going to be removed on an interstate after the i10 pearl river was completed. Later that year We passed over the drawbridge that was going to be removed. I think for some strange reason it was i65 north of mobile. But i was so young, memory may be wrong. The other interstate bridge, like i10 pearl had no gates, no control tower.

Also, I took a trip down the pearl river and have more pictures of the i10 Bridge. I will have to figure out how to attach pictures.  One of the doors at the base were wide open. I was tempted to go exploring. Another interesting item was I did not see any electrical feeds or former electrical connections.  Perhaps this drawbridge
Never operated.  The i10 drawBridge over the pearl river has always been a mystery. I may go explore it one day.

I think you are confusing a road with a rail bridge, the big bayou canot bridge on the mobile-tensaw delta was built to rotate but never was equipped to do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bayou_Canot_rail_accident
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

MCRoads

Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 27, 2020, 12:32:48 PM
Quote from: Jacob1980 on August 16, 2020, 04:34:40 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 30, 2018, 03:47:54 PM
While bored after driving down I-85,65,10 to get to I-59 in the truck...i looked into why I-10 at the MS/LA state line has a high bridge that has oddly placed expansion joints. It just so happens that when it was built in the late 60s NASA wanted it to be movable because of a planned "Nova" rocket that was to be bigger than the Saturn V, and would need to go up the Pearl River from Michaud to Stennis. It requires a look from the side to see the original intent of the bridge design.

Are there any other bridges like this?

When the grate was removed from this drawbridge, I remembered my dad saying there was another one he hard in the news that was going to be removed on an interstate after the i10 pearl river was completed. Later that year We passed over the drawbridge that was going to be removed. I think for some strange reason it was i65 north of mobile. But i was so young, memory may be wrong. The other interstate bridge, like i10 pearl had no gates, no control tower.

Also, I took a trip down the pearl river and have more pictures of the i10 Bridge. I will have to figure out how to attach pictures.  One of the doors at the base were wide open. I was tempted to go exploring. Another interesting item was I did not see any electrical feeds or former electrical connections.  Perhaps this drawbridge
Never operated.  The i10 drawBridge over the pearl river has always been a mystery. I may go explore it one day.

I think you are confusing a road with a rail bridge, the big bayou canot bridge on the mobile-tensaw delta was built to rotate but never was equipped to do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bayou_Canot_rail_accident

Which is somewhat ironic and very humorous, as the swinging ability caused a rail accident, as the link above explains.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.