National Boards > General Highway Talk

AASHTO Route Numbering Database Documents

<< < (2/38) > >>

Eth:
Don't think I was previously aware of this: a 1961 proposal to extend US 13 all the way to New Orleans.

In Georgia, this was to follow GA 72 from South Carolina to Athens, then US 78 to Atlanta, then US 19/41 and GA 85 to Columbus, hopping on US 80 into Alabama.

Rejected, according to the document, because "certain sections" (not necessarily in GA, may have been in other states on the routing) were "not up to the required standards", along with "not enough through traffic" on the route.

Mapmikey:
US 5 was requested to replace US 13 and US 17 all the way to Punta Gorda FL!

Other things Iíve found spending 45 minutes with this:

US 319 extension to Clarksville VA
US 220 extension to Charleston via SC 41
US 158 extension to Jonesville SC
US 313 from Elizabethtown NC to Charleston using 41
US 33 as a real N-S route from Rogersville TN northward
Lengthy US 1 Alt from Columbia SC to southeast GA (AASHO said improve the roads and move US 1. This would use SC 3 and US 301.
US 23 extension to St Petersburg
2 other US 13 to SC attempts

paulthemapguy:

--- Quote from: Mapmikey on September 22, 2020, 05:36:01 PM ---US 5 was requested to replace US 13 and US 17 all the way to Punta Gorda FL!

--- End quote ---

Hey!  I have had that idea too, totally separately!

This is a really awesome find.  The exact kind of thing I hoped to discover when joining this forum.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: Rothman on September 22, 2020, 03:40:47 PM ---

--- Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 22, 2020, 03:36:05 PM ---I wonder who was the shortminded who proposed the number I-238 without checking if there was a I-38 first. Oh, wait...

--- End quote ---

I believe it was a CA state route and they didn't want another I-x80.

--- End quote ---

They didnít want to renumber CA 180 and the rest of the X80s were used up at the time.

oscar:

--- Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 22, 2020, 03:36:05 PM ---I wonder who was the shortminded who proposed the number I-238 without checking if there was a I-38 first. Oh, wait...
--- End quote ---

I-238/CA 238 is rather like your favorite Interstate, I-41/US 41. California generally takes the approach of "one route, one number", even if the shape of the route marker changes from Interstate to some other kind mid-route (as with routes 15, 110, and 210). Wisconsin and (nominally) Illinois did something similar with their portions of U.S. 41. I'm pleased that AASHTO didn't get overly fussy about either situation, like it can be on other things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version