Sometimes there are no fences over a railroad or a bridge with high foot traffic

Started by tolbs17, February 26, 2022, 01:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ozarkman417

Sometimes? Based on what you provided, are these fences on bridges a southeast thing, because these types of fences on bridges are very uncommon in general based on my observations, even on high-foot traffic bridges like those that carry dedicated hiking & biking trails. Any ol' guardrail will do.

hotdogPi

Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 26, 2022, 01:51:38 PM
Sometimes? Based on what you provided, are these fences on bridges a southeast thing, because these types of fences on bridges are very uncommon in general based on my observations, even on high-foot traffic bridges like those that carry dedicated hiking & biking trails. Any ol' guardrail will do.

They're common in Massachusetts.

jeffandnicole

High foot traffic? Where's the foot traffic in those GSVs?  Hell, where would they even walk from and to in at least 2 of those links?

Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 26, 2022, 01:51:38 PM

New Jersey usually will install fences - usually curved - on any overpass where there is a sidewalk or shoulder where pedestrians could be present.  They usually aren't installed on highways in which an overpass is over another roadway.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

dlsterner

Quote from: Rothman on February 26, 2022, 02:06:08 PM
Time to throw this stuff in a tolbs compilation thread.

Maybe title the compilation thread: "Inane observations about Roads and Bridges in North Carolina" ?

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 26, 2022, 02:13:16 PM
See the 1st response above by 1.

In fairness to Tolbs, the response by 1 pointed to the "Traffic Control" board.  Tolbs' posts aren't limited to traffic control; perhaps a "tolbs compilation thread" in a more generic board, like "General Highway Talk"?

Big John

Throw is correct as the primary reason for fences is to deter things from being thrown from the bridge.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Big John on February 26, 2022, 03:56:47 PM
Throw is correct as the primary reason for fences is to deter things from being thrown from the bridge.

I had always thought they were to prevent people from throwing themselves off the bridge (i.e. to prevent suicide).

Max Rockatansky

Like Mr. Highway?

tolbs17

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 26, 2022, 02:02:54 PM
High foot traffic? Where's the foot traffic in those GSVs?  Hell, where would they even walk from and to in at least 2 of those links?
Depending on the time of the day, obviously. They would walk to their homes from the grocery store?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 26, 2022, 04:08:00 PM
Depending on the time of the day, obviously. They would walk to their homes from the grocery store?

What?

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 26, 2022, 04:11:12 PM

What?
Yes. Some people prefer to walk (or take their bike) instead of drive.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 26, 2022, 04:20:41 PM

What?

Yes, the crowd that likes to walk limited access road grades?

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 26, 2022, 04:22:52 PM

What?

Yes

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 26, 2022, 04:23:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 26, 2022, 04:22:52 PM

What?

Yes

So to clarify, your concern is about the lack of fencing on freeway and expressway overpasses of railroads even though they may not be intended for pedestrian access?  That's the gist we are getting from some of those Google images you posted coupled with your statement.

skluth

Fences on bridges over freeways, rivers, and other roads has been normal wherever I've lived. I'd even call it standard, though I have no documentation. I've even seen bridges that are so fenced that it's like going through a Faraday Cage. I've lived in Wisconsin, St Louis MO, SE Virginia, and now So Cal. All the places I've lived in have been urban, so that may be a factor. Maybe it's a North Carolina thing.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on February 26, 2022, 04:30:24 PM
Fences on bridges over freeways, rivers, and other roads has been normal wherever I've lived. I'd even call it standard, though I have no documentation. I've even seen bridges that are so fenced that it's like going through a Faraday Cage. I've lived in Wisconsin, St Louis MO, SE Virginia, and now So Cal. All the places I've lived in have been urban, so that may be a factor. Maybe it's a North Carolina thing.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree it is normal for fences to be present on overpasses.  I just don't get how this is supposed to be a pedestrian feature with several of the examples given.

US 89

In my experience, pretty much every bridge fence I can think of meets one of the following two criteria:

1) It is immediately adjacent to a sidewalk or pedestrian path that sees a good deal of ped traffic, usually in a fairly dense urban area
2) It is on a bridge that crosses a railroad

I don't think I've ever seen fences on any bridge that didn't fit in one of those boxes. That said, there are way too many examples of bridges that meet one or both of those yet don't have a fence that it's silly to start listing them out.

english si

Quote from: 1 on February 26, 2022, 03:59:30 PM
Quote from: Big John on February 26, 2022, 03:56:47 PMThrow is correct as the primary reason for fences is to deter things from being thrown from the bridge.
I had always thought they were to prevent people from throwing themselves off the bridge (i.e. to prevent suicide).
It's typically a bit of both. Arguably more the former than the latter, which is more just a bonus.

SkyPesos

Quote from: US 89 on February 26, 2022, 05:24:59 PM
In my experience, pretty much every bridge fence I can think of meets one of the following two criteria:

1) It is immediately adjacent to a sidewalk or pedestrian path that sees a good deal of ped traffic, usually in a fairly dense urban area
2) It is on a bridge that crosses a railroad

I don't think I've ever seen fences on any bridge that didn't fit in one of those boxes. That said, there are way too many examples of bridges that meet one or both of those yet don't have a fence that it's silly to start listing them out.
Ohio has plenty of rural highway overpasses that have fences and meet neither of the criteria. And ODOT have ramped up efforts to place fences on freeway overpasses after a freeway overpass rock throwing incident in 2017.

Mr_Northside

In that regard, the first thing I thought of was the lack of fences on the northernmost section of the McKees Rocks bridge (near it's intersection with PA-65 (Ohio River Blvd).   There are fences where it passes over ALCOSAN (sewage treatment plant), but - actually on topic here - they didn't put them where it goes over a bunch of railroad tracks.

https://goo.gl/maps/c8xomdAwi7fAwy5u6

I imagine if it were a problem though, they'd put up fences there.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

SectorZ

Massachusetts is due to more than one person being killed by boulders being pushed off the edge of bridges. The final straw was the severe injury and death a few years later of a teacher in Tewksbury when I was quite young. The Trahan school (soon to be shuttered) was renamed in her honor.

http://homenewshere.com/tewksbury_town_crier/news/article_c8f5046e-db78-11e7-8d8f-c7c915aa7936.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.