News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Missed opportunities while roadgeeking

Started by webny99, October 11, 2022, 09:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

When I drove to central New Jersey on a whim in 2016, I was 22 miles from Staten Island on I-287 south. Instead of detouring there I decided to head back to Maryland, and exited at the turnpike. A few months later however, I did take a clinching trip specifically to Staten Island.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Quillz

Since I've been alive, CA-39 from the Crystal Lake campground to its junction with CA-2 has not been open. Theoretically it's going to be reopened, in practice it will probably be closed forever. So I've missed out on that. On a similar note, the unpaved segment of CA-173. It was closed forever in 2014 or so, although I suppose one could hike it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on October 18, 2022, 07:04:28 AM
Since I've been alive, CA-39 from the Crystal Lake campground to its junction with CA-2 has not been open. Theoretically it's going to be reopened, in practice it will probably be closed forever. So I've missed out on that. On a similar note, the unpaved segment of CA-173. It was closed forever in 2014 or so, although I suppose one could hike it.

Regarding CA 39 Corco actually hiked it from the bottom a couple years ago:

http://corcohighways.org/?p=6869

I did a little bit of dirt CA 173 myself a couple years ago.  FWIW I found hiking stuff like the Old Ridge Route, Old Big Oak Flat Road and Old Foresta Road to be more interesting than CA 173.

JoePCool14

My biggest regret is not getting into keeping track of clinches sooner. There are so many roads that I roughly know I've travelled on, but I'm not sure which segments. Everything from roads in Florida to New York to Europe. I'm pretty keen on only marking clinches if I'm certain I've travelled the road. If I can't remember, there's no point in marking it as a clinch in my opinion.

I regret spending so much time trudging the same roads around college instead of branching out to explore sooner. I probably could've clinched quite a few more segments if I had been more focused on that. I got to see and drive a lot of fun local roads though, but I also spent a lot of time just driving to Dubuque and back.

I also regret not finished my clinch of Illinois's I-88. I just need to connect to I-290 to be finished with it. It's not that far from me, but it's far enough to require a couple hours.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.