Is this a weird acceleration lane?

Started by zachary_amaryllis, October 27, 2022, 05:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

I've driven through here https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7179353,-106.2936617,294m/data=!3m1!1e3. It's just to the SW of Walden, CO. When coming in from the left on SH 14, to turn north onto 14/125, one's instinct is to turn into the left lane, is it not? And then this lane opens up to the right, and as far as I can see, it's not a remnant of something that used to be there. There's no signage on NB 125 (at least on Google Earth) indicating what's supposed to happen here.

There is some truck traffic that follows the same path, it just seems like truck traffic is expected to immediately go to the right there or ... is there some basic thing that's I'm not getting?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zzcarp

I don't see anything on Historic Aerials that would have had a reason for an acceleration lane.

I suspect it was built for a portable weigh station or some other inspection station. I've seen CDOT use the portable weigh stations at other locations on the western slope.
So many miles and so many roads

kphoger

Quote from: zzcarp on October 27, 2022, 05:31:55 PM
I suspect it was built for a portable weigh station or some other inspection station. I've seen CDOT use the portable weigh stations at other locations on the western slope.

Decent guess.  I found a news article from last month that quoted a CSP supervisor as saying they regularly set up mobile units "near Walden", but not a specific location.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2022, 06:30:03 PM
Quote from: zzcarp on October 27, 2022, 05:31:55 PM

Decent guess.  I found a news article from last month that quoted a CSP supervisor as saying they regularly set up mobile units "near Walden", but not a specific location.

I could see that actually... 125, once you go north of Walden, basically the next stop is Wyoming (Cowdrey doesn't count). I only go that way twice a year when me and Mom go to Glenwood, since 14's a decent road and generally free of Jackson County's finest. I've never seen anything there, but again, only twice a year. I've seen trucks turning there, and then dodging over to the right, but it's just unclear to me what one's actually supposed to do there. Thanks guys.

They used to do the mobile ones on east Harmony in Fort Collins, right after you exit the interstate to go west, but not for a long time, I want to say back in the CO-68 days.
clinched:

fillup420

my first thought was that its a chain-up spot, based on the one time i was in CO. But im pretty sure the spots i saw along I-70 were further from the main lanes.

kphoger

Quote from: fillup420 on October 28, 2022, 08:47:37 AM
my first thought was that its a chain-up spot, based on the one time i was in CO. But im pretty sure the spots i saw along I-70 were further from the main lanes.

I thought of that too, but chain-up spots are fairly new, aren't they?  At least the well-signed ones (which this wouldn't be).
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: fillup420 on October 28, 2022, 08:47:37 AM

There's a chain-up spot further south/west from here, at the bottom of the west side of Rabbit Ears. But, it's well marked, and lit. The spot I've mentioned is about 30-40 miles from anything resembling a mountain pass.

I'm going with someone upthread's suggestion - spot to set up portable weigh stations.
clinched:

GaryV

In Street View there's construction signs. Perhaps it's in preparation for that.

https://goo.gl/maps/ASfb7TwQGmCGDhSY7

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on October 28, 2022, 10:11:30 AM
In Street View there's construction signs. Perhaps it's in preparation for that.

No, it was already there for the 2007 GSV.
Male pronouns, please.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 10:33:18 AM
Quote from: GaryV on October 28, 2022, 10:11:30 AM

No, it was already there for the 2007 GSV.

I saw on that, a car that appeared to be heading for the right "lane". Maybe NB traffic feels they need to be on the right. But it appears the road 'defaults' you into the left lane -- i.e. you have to change your path to go to the right lane. When I turn north there, I turn into the left lane, and sometimes someone comes whizzing by me on the right.

We've been driving through there since I was a kid, I always remember that being there. When I was looking at the construction sign, it must have switched imagery around. When I went to move forward (N on 125), all the signs went away, and everything looked different. IIRC the construction was in the town of Walden. Last time we went through (coupla months ago), they were doing construction in town at the north 14/125 split.
clinched:

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

Double white lines. It must be the carpool lane.  :rolleyes:

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: GaryV on October 28, 2022, 11:20:30 AM
Double white lines. It must be the carpool lane.  :rolleyes:

Well, someone has to get those cows to the Greater Walden Metro Area.
clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.