News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Abandoned CA 152 in the San Luis Reservoir

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 01, 2022, 08:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Dinosaur Point Road east of Pacheco Pass to the waters of the San Luis Reservoir is the original alignment of California State Route 152.  Since July 1965, California State Route 152 has been realigned east of Pacheco Pass via a modernized expressway.  The original alignment of California State Route 152 on occasion reemerges from the San Luis Reservoir at Dinosaur Point.  Pictured above as the blog cover is the original alignment of California State Route 152 at Dinosaur Point disappearing eastward into the waters of the San Luis Reservoir.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/12/former-california-state-route-152-east.html?m=1

pderocco

If you're ever in the neighborhood of Lake Isabella, on the Kern River, it's even lower now than it was in 2014, when quite a bit of the old route 178 was visible, and even drivable.

Max Rockatansky

Funny thing, I had intended to check out southern Lake Isabella this last Wednesday.  My wife ended up giving me a huge honey-do list so paired the day down to Alfred Harrell Highway and Round Mountain Road.  I did check out the original Kernville town site in northern Lake Isabella back during 2016:

https://flic.kr/p/RDccmb

thsftw

I went to Lake Isabella over the Walker Pass a few weeks back and I have to say it looks so strange with the dead trees sticking up over the lake. That entire area has a bit of a "Hills Have Eyes" vibe to it.

pderocco

Ironically, they're still engaged in the major construction project to strengthen the Isabella dams, and raise it so that the lake can hold more water. I hope that turns out to be wise investment, but it looks foolhardy right now. But we'll see...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.