Should Tijuana be a Control City on I-5 signs in San Diego?

Started by Lytton, March 20, 2013, 09:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lytton

Whenever I always drive across the bridge, I notice that the signs for I-5 South have no control cities. Just 5 north.  :hmmm:

Should they add Tijuana to the I-5 signs so it can tell new drivers to the San Diego area. I also think it should have MX at the end so it would be.

Tijuana MX

What do you think?
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

FreewayDan

Quote from: Lytton on March 20, 2013, 09:33:22 PM
Whenever I always drive across the bridge, I notice that the signs for I-5 South have no control cities. Just 5 north.  :hmmm:

Should they add Tijuana to the I-5 signs so it can tell new drivers to the San Diego area. I also think it should have MX at the end so it would be.

Tijuana MX

What do you think?

The control city for southbound I-5 south of downtown San Diego to Route 905 should be San Ysidro; Tijuana or International Border would then be the control city south of Route 905.
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

broadhurst04

If Vancouver, BC can be the control city for northbound 5 in Seattle, then there's no reason that Tijuana shouldn't be the control city for southbound 5 in San Diego. It's silly not to acknowlege it.

FreewayDan

Quote from: broadhurst04 on March 20, 2013, 10:40:36 PM
If Vancouver, BC can be the control city for northbound 5 in Seattle, then there's no reason that Tijuana shouldn't be the control city for southbound 5 in San Diego. It's silly not to acknowlege it.

And there's a reason why its Vancouver, BC; so that people do not confuse it with Vancouver, WA, outside Portland, OR.  There had been some talk about renaming Vancouver, WA, to either Fort Vancouver, Vancouver USA, or even Old Vancouver, but those plans went nowhere.
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

ARMOURERERIC

Many years ago at the northern 5/805 split, the 805 south split was labeled "Mexico" for a control city.

agentsteel53

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 21, 2013, 10:17:14 PM
Many years ago at the northern 5/805 split, the 805 south split was labeled "Mexico" for a control city.

I would love to see a photo of this!

IIRC, there is a distance sign for Ensenada on I-805 somewhere just south of 15.  there are several for Int'l Border.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

andy3175

For what it's worth, my opinion is that the control city for I-805 south in its entirety should include Chula Vista and Tijuana. 805 is the shorter route to the international border (shorter than I-5 between the two endpoints). Note that doesn't necessarily mean faster. I'd prefer the control city for I-5 south of downtown San Diego to be Tijuana. But I'd hate to see some of those nice old I-5/US 101 overhead signs from the mid-1960s removed and replaced to include control cities! :-)

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Lytton

Quote from: andy3175 on March 22, 2013, 01:14:57 AM
For what it's worth, my opinion is that the control city for I-805 south in its entirety should include Chula Vista and Tijuana. 805 is the shorter route to the international border (shorter than I-5 between the two endpoints). Note that doesn't necessarily mean faster. I'd prefer the control city for I-5 south of downtown San Diego to be Tijuana. But I'd hate to see some of those nice old I-5/US 101 overhead signs from the mid-1960s removed and replaced to include control cities! :-)

Regards,
Andy

Well, where to start...

They won't replace entire signage just to put a control city. All they have to do is to make Tijuana MX in one of their sign shops, probably depending on which district we are in. I think it would be the San Diego Sign Shop, and then they can put that green strip of words onto the mid-60s sign. See? They didn't need to replace the entire sign. They could just put Tijuana MX under San Diego on the original signs, and not even replace it. I don't even know if California wants to replace signage right now since they're going almost bankrupt. Damn spending on illegal aliens.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Lytton on March 22, 2013, 09:16:43 AM
Well, where to start...

They won't replace entire signage just to put a control city. All they have to do is to make Tijuana MX in one of their sign shops, probably depending on which district we are in. I think it would be the San Diego Sign Shop, and then they can put that green strip of words onto the mid-60s sign. See? They didn't need to replace the entire sign. They could just put Tijuana MX under San Diego on the original signs, and not even replace it. I don't even know if California wants to replace signage right now since they're going almost bankrupt. Damn spending on illegal aliens.

are you drunk?

jake@aaroads.com

jrouse

Caltrans District 11 for some reason has not put control cities on a lot of freeway signs.  Many of the signs on Interstate 5 were replaced just a few years ago as part of exit number installation, and if there had been an opportunity to place control cities, that would have been it. 

In the one location where I have seen control cities used for southbound I-5 south of downtown San Diego, they are listed as National City and Chula Vista.   I've also seen those control cities used on I-805.

NE2

If only they'd sign Tijuana those illegal rapists would know how to get home.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Quote from: andy3175 on March 22, 2013, 01:14:57 AM

Regards,
Andy

Well, where to start...

I guess there's a difference between adding the control city the right way and adding it the CalTrans way...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Lytton

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 22, 2013, 09:19:02 AM
Well, where to start...

are you drunk?

I don't know why you're asking me for, but no, I wasn't on alcohol.

I saw a few in Los Angeles, where they would keep the old sign but replace the faded button copy words with new ones. Or maybe...I don't know much about roadgeek terminology.

SP Cook

IMHO, the control city should be "Border" or "Mexico".  An unfamiliar motorist (and that is who signage is for in the first place) might think Tijuana refers to some place in California and get in a long border crossing line for no reason.

oscar

Quote from: SP Cook on March 23, 2013, 07:23:23 AM
IMHO, the control city should be "Border" or "Mexico".  An unfamiliar motorist (and that is who signage is for in the first place) might think Tijuana refers to some place in California and get in a long border crossing line for no reason.

There are plenty of signs, well ahead of the border, warning of the upcoming border crossing and then the last exit/U-turn before the border, so that confused motorists can bail out before getting in line for Mexican customs.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

KEK Inc.

I think it should be Tijuana, B.C.  Matches with the Vancouver, B.C. up north. 

That's why the OP has Tijuana MX.  The MX implies that it's not in the U.S. 
Take the road less traveled.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

IMO, I think the signs should read "Tijuana BN Mexico."

I really dislike signs that read things like "Mexico" or "International Border" or "Canada" or "Bridge to USA."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

JustDrive

Quote from: jrouse on March 22, 2013, 10:41:09 AM
Caltrans District 11 for some reason has not put control cities on a lot of freeway signs.  Many of the signs on Interstate 5 were replaced just a few years ago as part of exit number installation, and if there had been an opportunity to place control cities, that would have been it. 

In the one location where I have seen control cities used for southbound I-5 south of downtown San Diego, they are listed as National City and Chula Vista.   I've also seen those control cities used on I-805.

I've noticed that, even with signs on the major interstates.  Riverside is not signed on the 15 until the 805 interchange, and even then only sporadically until Escondido.  El Centro got erased when the 125/8 interchange got upgraded.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Lytton on March 23, 2013, 02:52:59 AM

I don't know why you're asking me for, but no, I wasn't on alcohol.

I'm asking you because that post reeked of diminished intelligence, and increased belligerence.  damn posting by illegal aliens.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 23, 2013, 10:50:01 AM

IMO, I think the signs should read "Tijuana BN Mexico."

I really dislike signs that read things like "Mexico" or "International Border" or "Canada" or "Bridge to USA."

I would much prefer BC to BN.  Good luck finding a road sign in México with "Tijuana BN" on it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kphoger on March 25, 2013, 12:51:19 PM
I would much prefer BC to BN.  Good luck finding a road sign in México with "Tijuana BN" on it.

I don't dispute that.  I would personally be fine with BC, but I recall that the place is (semi) officially divided into Baja California Sur and Baja California Norte.

I got BN from an "official" list of state and provincial abbreviations from online USDOT/FMCSA here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

this is the one I've seen used most.

the BCN/BCS division is not unofficial: the two are legally separate states - Baja California and Baja California Sur, like Virginia and West Virginia, or Alanland and Alanland.

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 25, 2013, 02:00:51 PM
the BCN/BCS division is not unofficial: the two are legally separate states - Baja California and Baja California Sur, like Virginia and West Virginia, or Alanland and Alanland.
You had to throw in an Alanland reference didn't you!  :biggrin:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.