News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Least valuable baseball cards

Started by bandit957, April 06, 2019, 07:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

What's the least valuable baseball card you've ever had?

When I was in 8th grade, I found a Razor Shines card just laying around at school. Mr. Shines appears on many lists of the all-time worst players ever in Major League Baseball.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Duke87

A rather difficult question to answer considering the large number of "common" cards in my collection... many of them from the late 80s / early 90s when there was massive overproduction, such that cards from that era are for the most part barely worth the cardboard they're printed on.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

RobbieL2415

Avalanchez71

We would call those cards "Bobo Head"  cards.

Beltway

How much is a Sandy Koufax card worth?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Duke87

Quote from: Beltway on April 18, 2019, 11:31:08 PM

Varies a lot depending on what year and what condition it's in.

If you have a near-mint specimen of his rookie card (1955 Topps), that's worth potentially $5000. But the same card in "Good" condition is more like $500.

Go forward a few years and it goes down from there. A 1959 Sandy Koufax, for example, is worth anywhere from $50-$250 depending on what condition it's in.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Beltway

Quote from: Duke87 on April 19, 2019, 01:53:25 AM
If you have a near-mint specimen of his rookie card (1955 Topps), that's worth potentially $5000. But the same card in "Good" condition is more like $500.
Go forward a few years and it goes down from there. A 1959 Sandy Koufax, for example, is worth anywhere from $50-$250 depending on what condition it's in.

How about 1965?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Scott5114

Quote from: Beltway on April 19, 2019, 06:30:20 AM

How about 1965?

Perhaps it would be better to do your own research on this if you have many questions about the value of baseball cards. I'm sure there are several tools for looking them up online, as there are other collectibles.

Beltway

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 19, 2019, 12:21:04 PM
How about 1965?
Perhaps it would be better to do your own research on this if you have many questions about the value of baseball cards. I'm sure there are several tools for looking them up online, as there are other collectibles.

I see that the values vary widely over the various years of his career --

https://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/player/Sandy_Koufax/mlb-baseball-cards/

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Scott5114

I don't see any of them worth less than 8¢, so I'm still winning.

Duke87

How about 1965?

Being sold at $45 for fair and $480 for mint here.

Keep in mind that if you are in possession of one you are looking to sell, you will get less for it than these numbers because the companies reselling them have to cover their costs and make some profit.

Either way, what condition it's in makes a BIG difference. Near Mint cards from the 1960s are rare because kids played with them, threw them in shoeboxes, etc. rather than putting them in plastic sheets to preserve them and leaving them there as collectors now do.

DandyDan

Quote from: bandit957 on April 06, 2019, 07:45:40 PM
What's the least valuable baseball card you've ever had?

When I was in 8th grade, I found a Razor Shines card just laying around at school. Mr. Shines appears on many lists of the all-time worst players ever in Major League Baseball.
Razor Shines may be one of the worst players in MLB history, but he has one of the greatest names, too. My old high school buddy TJ and I would make each other laugh just by saying Razor Shines.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 06, 2019, 10:07:26 PM

The Favorite Player of the Sports or Consequences crew during the Gary Burbank Show on 700 WLW...

"We don't, we don't, we don't mess around!  Hey!"

hotdogPi

Counterfeits are worth 0¢. This is less than the 8¢ that Scott5114 posted.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on April 26, 2019, 12:28:03 PM
Counterfeits are worth 0¢. This is less than the 8¢ that Scott5114 posted.

Presumably they are worth the scrap recycling value of the cardstock, which is likely to be between 0¢ and 8¢.

Skye

I at one point owned nearly every 1990 and 1991 Topps baseball cards.  So take your pick as to which one is least valuable.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.