News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on May 25, 2009, 03:29:49 AM
Richmond, it's on Laburnum Avenue southbound. I did a double-take when I saw it. :spin:

I looked at it closely, and I don't think there has EVER been a 5 on that VA shield!
Well at least this wasn't VDOT's fault but the infamous Henrico County
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 25, 2009, 08:55:51 AM
Richmond, it's on Laburnum Avenue southbound. I did a double-take when I saw it. :spin:

I looked at it closely, and I don't think there has EVER been a 5 on that VA shield!

Actually, the sign has a VDOT decal on the back of it.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2009, 03:31:08 AM
I remember reading about a sign goof in Massachusetts that was big enough to have a newspaper article written about it. There was a need for a state highway marker to be put up and the guy making it flipped to the state highway section of his sign plan book and made the first sign he saw there.

Apparently his book had all the states' diagrams in it, in alphabetical order, because what got made and put up was an Alabama state route marker!

I remembered that well. Fortunately the article that reported the goof (complete with a photo) is still online!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/07/26/word_to_road_crews_tuscaloosa_is_over_1000_miles_thataway/

74/171FAN

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on May 25, 2009, 02:26:44 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 25, 2009, 08:55:51 AM

Actually, the sign has a VDOT decal on the back of it.
That must be because it seems that VDOT maintains the US Routes in Henrico County(at least the traffic lights :-|)?????
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

US71

I found this today near Idabel, OK
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

reminds me of this problem. 

the sign was once mounted right side up - now it shows the wrong polarity!  Very dangerous at first glance.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Quote from: US71 on May 25, 2009, 11:42:03 PM

Idabel is like a nexus of poor signing. Same for Hugo.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2009, 04:34:37 AM
Quote from: US71 on May 25, 2009, 11:42:03 PM

Idabel Oklahoma is like a nexus of poor signing.

fixed

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2009, 04:34:37 AM

Idabel is like a nexus of poor signing. Same for Hugo.

Well, Arkansas isn't immune

akotchi

Quote from: AARoads on May 25, 2009, 07:52:14 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2009, 03:31:08 AM
I remember reading about a sign goof in Massachusetts that was big enough to have a newspaper article written about it. There was a need for a state highway marker to be put up and the guy making it flipped to the state highway section of his sign plan book and made the first sign he saw there.

Apparently his book had all the states' diagrams in it, in alphabetical order, because what got made and put up was an Alabama state route marker!

I remembered that well. Fortunately the article that reported the goof (complete with a photo) is still online!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/07/26/word_to_road_crews_tuscaloosa_is_over_1000_miles_thataway/

The detail for the state highway shield in the Standard Highway Signs book happens to be an Alabama shield.  I suspect that had something to do with it . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

donutbandit

Christiansburg, VA is a treasure trove of odd signs and goofs.

This one is on the nearby Virginia Tech campus.

US71

Quote from: donutbandit on June 03, 2009, 10:35:23 PM
Christiansburg, VA is a treasure trove of odd signs and goofs.

Those are downright strange.  :eyebrow:

donutbandit

I have a lot more of them.

donutbandit

US71

Quote from: donutbandit on June 03, 2009, 10:41:52 PM
I have a lot more of them.

I have some scattered throughout my Flickr pages, such as the AR 270 pic, a MO 71 and AR 62 among others. Not a lot of state showing as US like the 152 sine in Kansas City, though Mark Roberts has a US V on his cosmos-monitor site: http://www.cosmos-monitor.com/mo/main/us-v-indep.html

donutbandit

Sign geeks love Virginia.  :spin:

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: donutbandit on June 03, 2009, 10:58:06 PM
Sign geeks love Virginia.  :spin:

EDIT: Never mind, I can't read. Oh well, I guess we know there's an interstate somewhere over there... :P
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

J N Winkler

Quote from: froggie on June 01, 2009, 09:44:43 PM
QuoteThe detail for the state highway shield in the Standard Highway Signs book happens to be an Alabama shield.  I suspect that had something to do with it . . .

From what I recall, that had everything to do with it.

Also, the Alabama route marker is the only example of a state route marker in Standard Highway Signs.  What the fabricator needed to do, but in this case did not, is to refer to a state specification.  MHD now has a selection of traffic design guidance online (which I haven't yet checked in depth to see if there is a specification for state route markers).

IMO it does not help, either, that Massachusetts is one of the states where sign rehabilitation plans lack sign design sheets.  It is actually rare to see dimensioned drawings in a MHD signing plans set except for diagrammatic signs.

Edit:  See the pattern-accurate drawing for the M1-5 state route marker here:

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/downloads/manuals/1996Mconst.pdf

I am pretty sure this specification is duplicated in some other manuals accessible through this page, also:

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/default.asp?pgid=content/publicationmanuals&sid=about
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

donutbandit

Another oddity in Christiansburg - a VA 111 cutout under a speed limit sign.

donutbandit

Between C'burg and Radford - state secondary route              - the road to nowhere.

donutbandit

US71

Quote from: donutbandit on June 06, 2009, 12:05:24 AM
Between C'burg and Radford - state secondary route              - the road to nowhere.

Here's one from Oklahoma

And a set of weirdness from Texas:

agentsteel53

what's so bad about the Texas?  other than no state name on the I-20 shields?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 06, 2009, 12:52:05 AM
what's so bad about the Texas?  other than no state name on the I-20 shields?

Just 3 different directions to the Interstate... very confusing to people not from the area.   :crazy:

hbelkins

Quote from: akotchi on February 04, 2009, 01:04:43 PM
Seems pretty common also to see 3-digit route numbers in 2-digit shields, both interstate and U.S.  Erroneous, perhaps, only to designers like me . . .

I don't consider that to be a goof. I hate ... absolutely HATE ... the wide shields that sprang into use in Kentucky in the 1970s. I much prefer the square shields with the smaller numbers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.