News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mefailenglish

Poor US 40, downgraded to State Route status.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hellfighter

Alex

No respect for U.S. 441 either:

Scott5114

Nor for U.S. 77:

(since corrected)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

74/171FAN

Quote from: thenetwork on July 28, 2009, 08:58:30 AM
Quote from: Chris on July 28, 2009, 06:42:21 AM
QuoteEvery Word Except "Exit" Spelled Wrong on Wisconsin Highway Sign

A sign pointing southbound travelers onto Business Highway 51 in Rothschild and Schofield bears an incorrect spelling for every word except "exit."

David Vieth, director of the bureau of highway operations for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, said the mistake was made by Decker Supply Company of Madison, which printed the sign.

The sign for exit 185 on southbound Highway 51 reads "Business 51 Rothschield Schofeild."

"How do I politely say it shows some incompetence on someone's part?" said Rothschild Village President Neal Torney.

:pan:

And where the heck is the exit arrow?!?!? I'm surprised they didn't use a state shield by mistake.  :banghead:
This was so bad it was actually shown on Headline News a couple of days before even though it has reportedly been fixed  :-D  Anyway now looking at the access road for US 17 Business SB from US 501 SB    I know at one point US 17 Business was US 17 but US 17 was moved onto its "Myrtle Beach Bypass" over 20 years ago  :-o :wow:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

One from years ago, and there was a shopping center that signed U.S. 40 as State 40 on all of its signs at one point.

US71

This goes back to sometime in 2002, a couple years after I-530 was created

1. Should be West US 270

2 Should be US 65B

3 East 270 should be AR 365S

This has long since been corrected

bugo

More images of "AR 270"

US71

This one is kind of subtle unless you know the area:

You're looking due east into Arkansas from Oklahoma, so why does it show MO 43 going straight?

Two years later, Oklahoma put up the "meat cleaver" signs:

agentsteel53

is it in general an error that AR-43 goes into Oklahoma for a bit?  (or is it OK-20 that goes into Arkansas for a bit ... I know they are multiplexed as they cross state lines near the AR-MO-OK tripoint.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Not really an error, as the concurrency was intentional, but if you turn left to go northbound it is posted as MO-43 as well, even though it's still a few miles out from the tripoint. But it is AR-43 that goes into Oklahoma. I'm sure the curve in the road is to avoid some problem that ODOT didn't feel was worth paving over.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bickendan

Quote from: xonhulu on July 26, 2009, 03:32:57 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on July 26, 2009, 03:05:56 AM
Incorrect BGS on westbound WA 14 entering Washougal, signing for Bus US 14. Saw it and barely missed the photo-op  :banghead:

I didn't:

That's the one.

The US 82's on OR 82 have been replaced with the correct trailblazer shields.

xonhulu

Quote from: Bickendan on August 02, 2009, 04:39:52 AM
The US 82's on OR 82 have been replaced with the correct trailblazer shields.

I'm sad to report the US 86 in Halfway and the US 245 near Baker are also gone.  However, the OR 199's in Grant Pass are still there in force, as is the cosignage of OR 99/US 199 through downtown GP (which is not the actual route of 199).  I'm not sure about the US 99 shields on OR 99 in the area; here's one by Gold Hill:

So, basically, there are a lot of wrong shields in the Grants Pass area.

agentsteel53

yes, 199 is signed very poorly there ...

did you happen to come across any state named I-5 shields?  I've heard there's one supposedly somewhere in Grants Pass but I've never been able to find it.  Similarly, I've heard there's one supposedly somewhere in Ashland.

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

White I-80 shield posted on BL-80 in Elko:

D.C. has a similar version but used for the wrong route type:

okroads

This sign goof picture was taken in 2003...as of three weeks ago, it's still there...

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 02, 2009, 02:01:25 PM
did you happen to come across any state named I-5 shields?  I've heard there's one supposedly somewhere in Grants Pass but I've never been able to find it.  Similarly, I've heard there's one supposedly somewhere in Ashland.

I've never seen either, but I haven't been in Ashland in awhile.  I probably will be down there in 2 weeks, so I'll look then.  Any clue exactly where either is?  I haven't seen a state-named shield in Oregon in years (except the I-5/I-105 in Eugene), but I always figure if one does still exist it would be on some obscure side-street.  Ditto state-named US Shields.

I still kick myself for somehow losing a box of old photos I had.  I know I had a photo of the US 20/OR 34/OR 99W triplex through Corvallis where all three shields were old-style.  Arghhhhhhh!

agentsteel53

as of June 2007, there was an 18x18 state named I-5 shield on an old US-99 alignment that is not OR-99. 

I had just heard rumors of the ones in Ashland and Grants Pass; not specific locations. 

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: AARoads on August 02, 2009, 02:22:02 PM
White I-80 shield posted on BL-80 in Elko:

And, quite possibly, the largest "TO" I've ever seen on a sign  :-o
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 02, 2009, 02:53:09 AM
Not really an error, as the concurrency was intentional, but if you turn left to go northbound it is posted as MO-43 as well, even though it's still a few miles out from the tripoint. But it is AR-43 that goes into Oklahoma. I'm sure the curve in the road is to avoid some problem that ODOT didn't feel was worth paving over.

NB it's posted as MO 43, SB it's AR 43. The signage is all ODOT, though.

florida

NOT in Georgia.

The error might be hard to spot.
So many roads...so little time.

agentsteel53

is the 111 in Florida?

and what is wrong with the 263?  is it supposed to be unsigned there?

jake@aaroads.com

florida

Yeah, the 111 is on US 27 at the Georgia State Line. The older white car is on CR 157, the blue car is heading up the access road for GA 111.

263 doesn't come anywhere close to or being on Adams Street (SR 363). Someone only paid attention to the last two digits.
So many roads...so little time.

WNYroadgeek

And now for some signing goofs in the great state of New York:

The NY 96 shield is upside down, even though the shield above it is right-side up!

Same as above.

The one on the left should be US 20A. And there's plenty of others in the same area.

Wrong font.

Same as above.

Meet the square I-290 shield's long-lost cousin.

Should be NY 15. (Granted, it might be a remnant from when NY 15 was US 15.)

The one on the right should be NY 245.

The one on top should be US 20A.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.