News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

Here's a WHITE Wyoming highway shield on SB 287/789 between WYO 220 and Rawlins

TheStranger

agentsteel53: Correct, that shield should be Business 80 and not I-80 (though before 1982, it was correct).  It's on Stockton Boulevard at US 50.
Chris Sampang

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 11, 2009, 11:55:55 PM
Quote from: Hellfighter on September 11, 2009, 12:30:21 AM
Here's one from Synthetic Dreamer...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3434/3891886482_576bcde05a.jpg

I can't figure out what's wrong with that one...  :confused: I-64 is north of US-60 and VA 5 is south of US-60. Though that might be more evident if I knew where exactly the sign was.

The VA 5 shield is too wide; it's a 3-digit shield for a 1-digit route.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

very nice!  I will get a picture of it next week when I am in the area. 

now, the real question is, are there any 880 remnants anywhere?  I believe there is an 880 paddle on current 80, and some of the signs show evidence of a wider shield having been scraped off, but I have never seen an actual 880 shield in Sacramento.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 12, 2009, 10:42:41 AM
very nice!  I will get a picture of it next week when I am in the area. 

now, the real question is, are there any 880 remnants anywhere?  I believe there is an 880 paddle on current 80, and some of the signs show evidence of a wider shield having been scraped off, but I have never seen an actual 880 shield in Sacramento.

There is at least one IR 880 paddle on Interstate 80 eastbound north of Sacramento. I half-saw it as it whizzed by, so no photo...

agentsteel53

that's the paddle I saw too.  Eastbound.  I'll have to get a photo.

I remember the scraped off 880 shield being westbound, at the eastern 80/880 split, but there may be one in the other direction too.

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Quote^^^ I've also seen detours that have to go the opposite direction.  For example, when a bridge on NY 31 was being replaced, there was a long detour.  To follow it, people trying to go east on NY 31 east of the start of the detour had to go in the opposite (west) direction to get to the "beginning".  Signs in that area said "NY 31 WEST/DETOUR NY 31 EAST".

As a matter of fact I bumped into this in Nebraska a couple weeks ago on N-2

WNYroadgeek

Admittedly, it might be a remnant of when NY 104 was US 104, but still:

agentsteel53

that one is indeed an old US-104 sign.  A couple float around.

jake@aaroads.com

okroads

U.S. 121?? It should say VA 121...

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 12, 2009, 06:36:08 PM
that one is indeed an old US-104 sign.  A couple float around.

Yes it was quite old, the shield facing was more worn than the photo suggests. I remember walking up to that assembly and shooting it, puzzling three people sitting on a front step nearby.

TheStranger

agentsteel53: The signage at the Business 80/I-80 split in Foothill Farms has been replaced in the last couple of years with the reflective signs of this era, so I'm not sure any old button copy-era signs are left in the vicinity.

One example of a scraped sign - for I think I-80 - exists on 65th Street northbound right before the ramp to westbound US 50, where Tahoe Park and East Sacramento border.
Chris Sampang

SSOWorld

I confirm TheStranger's first comment seeing that first hand two Fridays ago.  I didn't notice (wasn't paying attention) on the second comment.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Duke87

Q: What do you do when you need to replace a green arrow panel on a shield assembly, but you're just fresh out of them in the sign shop?

A: you use one of those blue ones that you ordered too many of and have a million of lying around, figuring no one will ever notice.

Well, someone noticed. ;-)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

I was on 70A/79 3-4 years ago and there were 2-3 glitches like that.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

Quote from: Duke87 on September 16, 2009, 01:27:01 AM
Q: What do you do when you need to replace a green arrow panel on a shield assembly, but you're just fresh out of them in the sign shop?

A: you use one of those blue ones that you ordered too many of and have a million of lying around, figuring no one will ever notice.

Either that or the DOT employee that replaced it is blue-green colorblind.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

nerdly_dood

throughout Roanoke, VA, there are several US-11 signs that are white with the shield outline, not black with the white shield in it... Like this:
(and with the width=800)

Is that entirely wrong? The signs are all reflective, and they aren't particularly old - some are only a year or two old.

hbelkins

Quote from: nerdly_dood on September 16, 2009, 07:11:03 PM
throughout Roanoke, VA, there are several US-11 signs that are white with the shield outline, not black with the white shield in it... Like this:

Is that entirely wrong? The signs are all reflective, and they aren't particularly old - some are only a year or two old.

They're probably city-installed, not VDOT installed. As mentioned elsewhere, there are lots of those types of signs around for US 220, US 221 and some of the state routes as well in Roanoke.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

The white-border signs aren't errors. That's how many (though not most) signs in Virginia looked a few decades ago when they weren't cutouts.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

mefailenglish

At one point, this used to be a normal US 1.  Then the sign got knocked down and replaced with this abomination.

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

wisp2007

I'm surprised no one's put this sign up yet. Or maybe they have and I just missed it. :)  :confused:
( It's not US 99 - it's SR 99 )

TheStranger

If that's the Alsakan Way Viaduct...it was once US 99 so it's more a case of the route decomissioning changing the accuracy of the sign.

Speaking of which, in midtown Sacramento this morning, I saw a "Route 80" postmile paddle on the N Street ramp off of Business 80, a route which is now hidden Route 51...
Chris Sampang

corco

That US-99 sign has been around since the viaduct was built. When the viaduct was built, the highway was still US-99, so it's not erroneous

Tom

Actually, I like seeing a US-99 sign, because it's another way of keeping the memory of US-99 alive. :coffee:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.