News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

It was only a matter of time, Norfolk, VA. Of Norfolk's portion of VA 168, which I drove this afternoon, I counted *TWO* correctly done shields. Almost all were the ugly interstate-esque ones, and then there was this shield, and 6 other circle ones southbound approaching VA 247.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

Used to be normal shields at the 168/247 junction.  Norfolk must've felt they needed to replace them.  Surprised they didn't make them US shields.  But then again, they only have jurisdiction over "US 165"...

deathtopumpkins

Where was a US 165 shield? All the ones I've found from VA 337 or VA 168 have been correct, even if misshapen.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 23, 2010, 10:31:44 PM
Where was a US 165 shield? All the ones I've found from VA 337 or VA 168 have been correct, even if misshapen.

There are at least two (both of which are on the VA Hwys Project error page), one of which is this one at the intersection with VA 166 and US 13. There's also a US 166 shield at this intersection.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

froggie

There are three I'm aware of.  Besides the two on the VHP error page, there is a third on SB Military Hwy at Norview Ave.

deathtopumpkins

Hmm... I'll have to go check those out next time I'm down that way.

74/171FAN

I posted this here because I'm not sure if this is technically an error or not as the view is from US 11 NB but there the "TO" for the I-81 is missing and there should at least be a "TO US 220 NORTH" signed posted along with that especially with the fact that it is posted as "US 220 NORTH to I-81" from US 220 ALT NB heading into the intersection. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

Nothing wrong with the first photo...it's correct, except for missing the "TO" above I-81 as you mentioned.  By the book, the second photo is in error for missing the ALT with 220, though I can understand VDOT's intent there since I-81 is just beyond (the overpass in the background) and mainline US 220 picks up the roadway right there.

Coincidentally, I was through that same intersection last Saturday, though heading southbound.

(EDIT: clarified first sentence)

74/171FAN

Quote from: froggie on November 03, 2010, 05:36:24 PM
Nothing wrong with the first photo is correct, except for missing the "TO" above I-81 as you mentioned.  By the book, the second photo is in error for missing the ALT with 220, though I can understand VDOT's intent there since I-81 is just beyond (the overpass in the background) and mainline US 220 picks up the roadway right there.

Coincidentally, I was through that same intersection last Saturday, though heading southbound.

Thanks for the verification. I get to go through that intersection all the time now whenever I am going to/leaving Blacksburg as I take US 460 most of the way since I'm from the Petersburg area.  I was actually through there last Sunday but I was on the way back from Lynchburg that time.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Nothing wrong with the first photo...it's correct, except for missing the "TO" above I-81 as you mentioned.  By the book, the second photo is in error for missing the ALT with 220, though I can understand VDOT's intent there since I-81 is just beyond (the overpass in the background) and mainline US 220 picks up the roadway right there.

I thought the route in question is actually VA Alternate 220 but is signed as a US route.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2010, 10:32:56 AM
Nothing wrong with the first photo...it's correct, except for missing the "TO" above I-81 as you mentioned.  By the book, the second photo is in error for missing the ALT with 220, though I can understand VDOT's intent there since I-81 is just beyond (the overpass in the background) and mainline US 220 picks up the roadway right there.

I thought the route in question is actually VA Alternate 220 but is signed as a US route.
Technically yes but that is obviously not even the point of why I posted that  :nod: ;-)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

SW of Mt. Vernon at the intersection of Columbus Rd (Old 3-C) and Harcourt Rd (present day Oh 3/US 36)

I don't understand Eastern Ohio's ODOT districts fascination with 3 digit wide shields for 2 (or 1) digit routes either.
Example #2, just up the road...

(at least they got designation for US 36 correct here) Harcourt Rd (US 36/Oh 3) and Old Delaware Rd (Oh 229)

Meanwhile for your run-of-the-mill sign error

What I like about this sign mistake, ODOT district 6 office is 200 yds behind this sign.
It must be a Delaware city, not ODOT, problem because theres another US 37 shield a mile back also.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Quillz

My guess is they used a wide shield for 1- and 2di routes simply for the sake of consistency and having both signs the same size.

But what I would have done was reduced the kerning between the numbers and even made them smaller so you could fit both 2- and 3di onto a shield meant for one or two numerals.

mightyace

^^^

Interesting theory Quillz, but it doesn't jive with normal ODOT practice.  Normally wide shields are ONLY used for 3 digit routes.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on November 09, 2010, 09:07:11 PM
But what I would have done was reduced the kerning between the numbers and even made them smaller so you could fit both 2- and 3di onto a shield meant for one or two numerals.

that's ODOT practice from before 1970, when the feds mandated wide shields.  Oklahoma immediately stepped up and implemented the new specifications.

this style was used 1967-1970 or so.  before that, the shields had an additional inner black border.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 10, 2010, 11:38:28 AM
Quote from: Quillz on November 09, 2010, 09:07:11 PM

that's ODOT practice from before 1970, when the feds mandated wide shields.  Oklahoma immediately stepped up and implemented the new specifications.

this style was used 1967-1970 or so.  before that, the shields had an additional inner black border.

Inner black borders are superior.

Was my favorite US Route shield until I saw the old Ohio ones.

Scott5114

When did US 322 and US 23 pass through Oklahoma? I think you have the wrong ODOT!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 11, 2010, 12:35:51 PM
When did US 322 and US 23 pass through Oklahoma? I think you have the wrong ODOT!

To some of us, ODOT is Ohio, not Oklahoma.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 10, 2010, 11:38:28 AM
Quote from: Brandon on November 12, 2010, 10:28:44 AM

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 11, 2010, 12:35:51 PM

To some of us, ODOT is Ohio, not Oklahoma.

Apparently, Jake is not one of those people!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

oops.  Indeed, Oklahoma was a few years behind and kept using '61 spec shields a while longer.

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

The mileage is wrong and a 3dus shield shouldn't be used for a 1dus.

Alps

Quote from: Quillz on November 16, 2010, 03:04:38 AM
The mileage is wrong and a 3dus shield shouldn't be used for a 1dus.
The mileage is correct.  Where's your source of being incorrect?  (I was just at the other end, where 6 is signed "from Long Beach," and I don't have a problem with that)

Ian

The infamous US 202 shield error along I-95 southbound at exit 8A in Wilmington, DE is still there:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

I wouldn't really consider that error "infamous", seeing as US-202 switches to DE-202 not too far north of there.  It's a fairly silly switch in route importance; why not call the whole thing US-202 all the way to the end?  especially since at least three or four signs are in error.

jake@aaroads.com

dfilpus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 21, 2010, 05:03:09 PM
I wouldn't really consider that error "infamous", seeing as US-202 switches to DE-202 not too far north of there.  It's a fairly silly switch in route importance; why not call the whole thing US-202 all the way to the end?  especially since at least three or four signs are in error.
AFAIK, at exit 8, US 202 goes north on the Concord Pike and west multiplexed with I 95. DE 202 goes south on Concord Road. The sign error is that US 202 continues on I 95 and does not exit. Where US 202 transitions to DE 202 depends on the direction of travel.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.