News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Near Joplin, MO

Near Perry, AR

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Truvelo

It's not the signs that's errorneous in this picture but the lane markings. The newly rebuilt I-39/I-90 interchange near Rockford was a building site when I last drove through it in 2009. Today I noticed the lane markings are wrong. There are four lanes on the approach with two lanes going each way. However the markings suggest the left three lanes are for I-90 and the right hand lane is for I-39. The short dotted lines should be between the middle two lanes. The two right lanes continue beyond the next exit so there should be the normal lane markings before the solid line.

Speed limits limit life

Duke87

This is actually hilarious. NY 23 is nowhere near here, the sign is for NJ 23 (in New York). They did, however, get the black border part right! :-D
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Quillz

Isn't it actually wrong, though? I thought NYS route shields were supposed to lack the black background and use Series F numerals.

Central Avenue

Quote from: Quillz on April 07, 2011, 10:38:06 PM
Isn't it actually wrong, though? I thought NYS route shields were supposed to lack the black background and use Series F numerals.
Right, but the black background and Series D numerals are correct for a New Jersey shield (which is what that one should be).
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Quillz

Oh, I see what you're saying.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Truvelo on April 07, 2011, 08:19:01 PM

In fact, shouldn't the arrows beon the "Exit Only" yellow part?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Michael

Quote from: Quillz on April 05, 2011, 07:23:44 PM
I guess California was jealous of Pennsylvania...

I'm pretty sure this was fixed several years back. And while it's an error shield, at least it's a nice looking one.

If Bud had his way, that might be an accurate sign someday.  See Kurumi's Trippy Drive '71 for the ultimate I-99 nightmare.

InterstateNG

Quote from: Rupertus on April 03, 2011, 08:09:34 PM
I found a nice one today, at the stoplight at the end of the ramp from north I-275 to Michigan Avenue. There is a new Clearview guide sign at that location that for some reason has an M-12 shield on it instead of the correct US 12 shield. Not sure where that came from as there is no such road as M-12. Unfortunately the photo I took didn't come out very well...

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/205110_138043372935046_100001881518423_239451_6861108_n.jpg
I demand an apology.

mobilene

Found by a buddy of mine on the south side of Indianapolis.
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

tdindy88

Quote from: mobilene on April 19, 2011, 09:42:09 PM

Found by a buddy of mine on the south side of Indianapolis.

Is that recent with the construction in that area? Speaking of which, just north of the exit there are SR 37 signs hovering over Harding Street that are Kentucky-style and not Indiana-style.

agentsteel53

you mean circle shields?  can you please get a photo of them for the shield gallery?

37 must really attract oddities - in some town there is a pair of black squares with the state outline!  the old embossed Indiana shields had the state outline, but by the time the state moved into the black-square era (for US markers), they were strictly using the modern style square with a state name.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

tdindy88

Well, I've never had much luck putting pictures up on here, but here is a link to the Streetview of the site. If you would like, I could email the picture that I do have of these same signs, plus the ones of the SR 37 with the state outline which are from Bloomington of the gallery.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Indianapolis,+IN&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.643082,86.220703&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Indianapolis,+Marion,+Indiana&ll=39.698247,-86.184762&spn=0,0.014613&z=17&layer=c&cbll=39.698038,-86.186604&panoid=Ze3EDWXEDmi-GcGhElbg6Q&cbp=12,191.51,,0,0

agentsteel53

if you could please email them to me, that would be perfect

jake@aaroads.com

thanks!

jake@aaroads.com

mobilene

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 19, 2011, 11:17:43 PM
Is that recent with the construction in that area? Speaking of which, just north of the exit there are SR 37 signs hovering over Harding Street that are Kentucky-style and not Indiana-style.

Yes, I believe it is. I haven't been down there to see. Doesn't it look like those shields are hanging over northbound lanes, as if the southbound are closed?
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

shadyjay

While not in the "wild", I found this on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_the_United_States#Guide

Check out the second sign - something seems strange with that route number   ;-)

national highway 1

I believe the Major Deegan Expressway is I-87, not I-78 (I-78 hardly enters NY)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

roadman65

What about Pocono being used as a control city on I-380 near Pocono Summit, PA for the PA 934 exit?  There is no such place as Pocono, but there is a Mount Pocono, Pocono Pines, and Pocono Summit!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

OracleUsr

Quote from: ausinterkid on April 27, 2011, 05:49:40 AM
I believe the Major Deegan Expressway is I-87, not I-78 (I-78 hardly enters NY)

Yes, that is correct.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

agentsteel53

someone took a photo in the early 2000s of an I-78 shield more than halfway across Queens!!!  looked like a late 50s vintage route marker.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

If it's the one I remember, it was actually up in the Bronx (!) near I-295 or I-695.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dougtone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 29, 2011, 12:22:11 AM
someone took a photo in the early 2000s of an I-78 shield more than halfway across Queens!!!  looked like a late 50s vintage route marker.

The I-78 shield was in the Bronx, near I-295 (Randall Ave. exit).  The shield has since been removed, if I recall correctly.  I've looked for it a few times, to no avail.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Dougtone on April 29, 2011, 06:46:35 AM

The I-78 shield was in the Bronx, near I-295 (Randall Ave. exit).  The shield has since been removed, if I recall correctly.  I've looked for it a few times, to no avail.

yeah, it's gone.  what was the purpose of it?  how far down were they going to extend I-78 at one time?

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

As far as I-95 via Throgs Neck.

The short stretch of the Cross Bronx between the Bruckner Interchange and the Throgs Neck Bridge was designated I-78 between 1958 and 1971, when it became I-295.

US71

Quote from: Master son on July 01, 2009, 12:48:58 PM
I wouldn't call sign that erroneous - I'd call that funny as hell! :-D

Then you'll like this one

Or maybe we need a separate thread for humorous signs? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.