News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pderocco

I those days, when you didn't need a passport, I suppose there was little need for I-95 to go from Houlton to Fort Kent, since you could always take route 2 in Canada.

vdeane

I've decided to take the Maine discussion over the the main thread for Maine (pun intended).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Henry

Quote from: vdeane on February 08, 2024, 12:48:39 PM
I've decided to take the Maine discussion over the the main thread for Maine (pun intended).
That is quite a tongue-twister, if I ever heard one!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

I look forward to the Interstate 515 signs coming down this year, and the erection of Interstate 11 signs in their place. Hopefully, Interstate 11 will be signposted from Interstate 215 all the way to NV 157, and the new signs have the new exit numbers as well. They probably won't renumber Exit 99 and Exit 136 until Interstate 11 officially reaches those exits, which will probably happen eventually.

DenverBrian

There are also two last McCarran Airport signs that I assume will come down for Harry Reid Airport signs.

kernals12

Quote from: DenverBrian on February 09, 2024, 09:05:56 PM
There are also two last McCarran Airport signs that I assume will come down for Harry Reid Airport signs.

Hopefully they'll the replace the ones *inside* the airport soon

kernals12

I've done some research and Nevada is the only state in the lower 48 that doesn't have a controlled access highway between its two largest urban areas! Even Wyoming lets you drive directly from Cheyenne to Casper.

triplemultiplex

Alaska and Hawaii are states...
:poke:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hotdogPi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 20, 2024, 09:59:26 AM
Alaska and Hawaii are states...
:poke:

That's why kernals12 said "in the lower 48".
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

roadman65

Nevada is also one that has both an E-W and N-S primary interstates that don't intersect within its borders.  Okay Idaho too, but like I-15 and I-90 meeting outside Idaho inside Montana, both I-15 and I-80 meet in another state in the City of Salt Lake City.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

sprjus4

Quote from: roadman65 on February 20, 2024, 10:31:25 AM
Nevada is also one that has both an E-W and N-S primary interstates that don't intersect within its borders.  Okay Idaho too, but like I-15 and I-90 meeting outside Idaho inside Montana, both I-15 and I-80 meet in another state in the City of Salt Lake City.
Then there's Delaware.

jlam

The Ghostbuster

Do they have a date yet for extending the Interstate 11 designation up Interstate 515 and US 95 to the NV 157 interchange? I believe it was planned to happen this year.

Plutonic Panda

It almost makes sense that Nevada doesn't have that given the terrain challenges which would be expensive to overcome and the cities didn't seem very big back during the interstate boom. Wyoming seems to have gotten lucky that it was in the way of a north to south corridor planned for the region and Cheyenne and Casper just happened to be part of it. No way those cities would be connected by a controlled access highway by themselves.

I'd have to imagine a fair amount of traffic using a Vegas to Reno interstate would not be through traffic.

Max Rockatansky

The problem is getting that jog to Reno.  Likely any improved corridor would reach I-80 via Fernley or USA Parkway. 

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 20, 2024, 01:44:47 PM
The problem is getting that jog to Reno.  Likely any improved corridor would reach I-80 via Fernley or USA Parkway.
Ideally it would tie into Carson City at I-580 and that road would be remembered I-11. I understand this to be a costly endeavor however it probably won't happen.

If I-11 ever gets extended north(and I peg that having as much as a chance as it getting extended south of I-10) it would have a pretty large concurrency along I-80. I wonder if tying into I-80 that far east if it would even save time versus the current route.

Max Rockatansky

Fair to note though, travelers heading to Reno aren't likely to pass Carson City even now.  The opening of USA Parkway really streamlined getting between Reno-Las Vegas by way of US 95A.

roadman65

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 20, 2024, 01:22:17 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 20, 2024, 10:31:25 AM
Then there's Delaware.

Delaware don't have an E- W interstate. Heck they don't want East West freeways at all such as upgrades to the DE 404 corridor which is a summer beach travel route.😄
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 20, 2024, 01:59:26 PM
Fair to note though, travelers heading to Reno aren't likely to pass Carson City even now.  The opening of USA Parkway really streamlined getting between Reno-Las Vegas by way of US 95A.
Yep. I had forgotten all about this road actually. Really came in handy last time around.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 20, 2024, 02:07:33 PM
Yep. I had forgotten all about this road actually. Really came in handy last time around.

A proper bypass or Yerington would be welcome.  All the same, most local traffic knows what local roads to use to bypass the city already.

kphoger

The opening of USA Parkway really streamlined getting between Reno-Las Vegas by way of US 95A.

Except they'll all die a horrible death shortly before leaving home, because the roundabout at USA Parkway's southern terminus is a multi-lane roundabout with fixed objects inside the circle.  I can only assume it's a crash-prone roundabout of the highest order.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

pderocco

I was looking at the Nevada Official maps online, and noticed something interesting. Those older ones that included city insets always included Las Vegas, Reno, and ... Ely until 1972. Few of them showed Carson City until 2002, even though that's the capitol, and a heck of a lot bigger than Ely. They had Tahoe region insets that included CC, but didn't show any CC streets.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 02:13:06 PM
The opening of USA Parkway really streamlined getting between Reno-Las Vegas by way of US 95A.

Except they'll all die a horrible death shortly before leaving home, because the roundabout at USA Parkway's southern terminus is a multi-lane roundabout with fixed objects inside the circle.  I can only assume it's a crash-prone roundabout of the highest order.

...if they're drunken idiots.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 21, 2024, 10:01:34 AM

Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 02:13:06 PM

...if they're drunken idiots.

Sorry, I forgot the [/sarc] tag.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.