News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ted Cruz to run for president, but how?

Started by US 41, March 22, 2015, 08:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 24, 2015, 04:50:13 PM
Quote from: bugo on March 24, 2015, 03:22:02 PMI've always been under the impression that one must have actually been born in the US to be eligible to run for president. I don't know if they changed it or what, but that is what I was taught in school.

You must have been taught that nonsense about Alexander Hamilton being ineligible to run for President, as I was.

Hamilton was just as ineligible as Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, JQ Adams, and Jackson.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on March 24, 2015, 05:40:04 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 24, 2015, 04:50:13 PM
Quote from: bugo on March 24, 2015, 03:22:02 PMI've always been under the impression that one must have actually been born in the US to be eligible to run for president. I don't know if they changed it or what, but that is what I was taught in school.

You must have been taught that nonsense about Alexander Hamilton being ineligible to run for President, as I was.

Hamilton was just as ineligible as Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, JQ Adams, and Jackson.

Also William Henry Harrison, who was the final president born prior to the Declaration of Independence (1773), and Martin Van Buren, who was born after the Declaration but prior to the Constitution (1782).

Edited to add: BTW, that made Van Buren a "natural-born citizen" because citizenship is reckoned back to 1776. Harrison was therefore the last president to qualify under the other provision about being a citizen when the Constitution was adopted.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Road Hog

Don't forget Chester Arthur. Ted Cruz could be our second Canadian president.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-original-birther-controversy/

Roadrunner75

I am shocked to find a topic about Ted Cruz not locked within five posts.

bing101

bing101

I-39

Ted Cruz won't win the nomination (anyone with half a brain won't vote for him), so all of this will be rendered moot

triplemultiplex

Regardless of the individual's politics, why in the 21st Century does it matter where they were extruded from a birth canal?

The intent of the Constitution was to avoid having some Briton move here and run for office while rallying support among people who still had sympathies for the Crown.  It was a real possibility in the early years of America.  But these days, that's only a threat for people with a loose grip on reality.

A person who has spent their entire adult life in a country shouldn't be banned from holding a political office just because they were potty trained someplace that doesn't have Walmarts.

They should be judged by their asinine ideas and not something as silly as where they were born.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

oscar

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 27, 2015, 08:25:50 PM
Regardless of the individual's politics, why in the 21st Century does it matter where they were extruded from a birth canal?

The intent of the Constitution was to avoid having some Briton move here and run for office while rallying support among people who still had sympathies for the Crown.  It was a real possibility in the early years of America.  But these days, that's only a threat for people with a loose grip on reality.

A person who has spent their entire adult life in a country shouldn't be banned from holding a political office just because they were potty trained someplace that doesn't have Walmarts.

They should be judged by their asinine ideas and not something as silly as where they were born.

So push for a constitutional amendment.  That's been proposed, but IIRC California's Sen. Feinstein objected, apparently fearing it could help former Gov. Schwarzenegger, and the proposal stalled thereafter.  His political ambitions having been derailed, and the most notable politician who would benefit (not counting Sen. Cruz, who doesn't really need the help and has bigger problems to worry about) is former Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm, maybe it's time to try again and end this nonsense one and for all. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Brandon

Quote from: oscar on March 27, 2015, 08:57:00 PM
So push for a constitutional amendment.  That's been proposed, but IIRC California's Sen. Feinstein objected, apparently fearing it could help former Gov. Schwarzenegger, and the proposal stalled thereafter.  His political ambitions having been derailed, and the most notable politician who would benefit (not counting Sen. Cruz, who doesn't really need the help and has bigger problems to worry about) is former Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm, maybe it's time to try again and end this nonsense one and for all. 

After what she did in Michigan, I'm in favor of keeping things as they are.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.