News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

As of 6:45 MDT, it is 18 degrees in Missoula under clear skies. Very chilly. Brisk breeze. Low temperature expected to fall into single digits below zero tonight.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

US 89

We had yet another round of very heavy rain yesterday evening, with over 3 inches of rain falling in many places in the Atlanta metro. A flash flood warning was issued with a "considerable" damage threat, so the alert went out to everyone's cell phones. Apparently there were water rescues in some flood-prone areas last night.

Should be nice weather for the next couple days, but then we'll have to worry about impacts from yet another tropical system. Much will depend on the final track of Tropical Storm Zeta, but we are likely to see a good bit of rain. If it winds up on the western side of the current model guidance, depending on timing and some other factors we might even see another tornado event similar to what we had with Delta.

kphoger

Snow this early in the year is unusual for Wichita.  The first snowfall is often in December, sometimes even January or February.  Out where I grew up in northwestern Kansas, snow in October was more normal because, even though it was kind of in the rain shadow of the Rockies, some mountain snowstorms strong enough to make it past the front range were also strong enough to make it past the state line as well.  Here in the southeastern part of the state, though, snow in October is unusual.

The highways were slick as I was coming to work, and the some of the clearest spots were actually the worst:  ice instead of snow to drive on.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Max Rockatansky

44F at 7 AM according to my outdoor thermostat in Fresno this morning. 

ozarkman417

Missed what would have been a major ice-storm by not even 3 degrees. Oklahoma City isn't going to be so lucky.

Scott5114

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 26, 2020, 02:59:45 PM
Missed what would have been a major ice-storm by not even 3 degrees. Oklahoma City isn't going to be so lucky.

Yeah, the roads here are nice and slushy, the yard is full of sleet (I don't think it's snow, but it's hard to tell), and there's a good coating of ice on the trees. Additional ice accumulation to follow tomorrow and into Wednesday. As kphoger mentioned, this is unusual for this early in the year; we usually don't see any sort of winter precipitation until December at the earliest.

None of my trees have dropped their leaves yet, and it's kind of funny since it looks like the oak tree is trying to start going through the color-change process as fast as possible (it was uniformly green yesterday and is now starting to turn red on the uppermost leaves).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

allniter89

Warm & humid now dewpoints near 70 . It looks like another tropical storm will be in our neighboirhood Wednesday night. NHC sez maybe a cat 1 (80mph) but its too early to know 4 sure. Where ever it landfalls we will likely be on the dirty side, the NE quadrant, the more favored area for twisters. Its been a helluva yr, I think this is the 3rd storm to our west. Praying Lousiana misses this one, Lord knows they've had enough to deal with! Like LA we still have huge debri piles on the ROW, its only been 9 days since Sally. NOA is saying Zeta will be moving at 20+ mph so maybe it will be like a quick severe thunderstorm. After 40 yrs of life in FL I'm about ready to pack up & move back to Delaware :angry:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

US 89

Zeta is going to absolutely book it across the southeast. Should make the journey from Louisiana landfall to the Delmarva region in about a day, which averages out to around a 45 mph forward speed.

We’re already gearing up for some potential impacts in Atlanta. A flash flood watch has already been issued for most of north GA: although rain totals will likely only be in the 2-3 inch range, it will come rather quickly and our soils are pretty much saturated after all the rain we’ve had this fall (including the significant flash flood event last Saturday). Tornado threat may exist but seems like it will be lower that it was with Delta.

More interesting is because Zeta will be moving so fast, it won’t really have a ton of time to weaken a lot before it passes us. It’s starting to look more likely that ATL will see some decent winds - perhaps even to tropical storm force. Will depend on ultimate track and intensity.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2020, 09:04:08 AM

Snow this early in the year is unusual for Wichita.  The first snowfall is often in December, sometimes even January or February.  Out where I grew up in northwestern Kansas, snow in October was more normal because, even though it was kind of in the rain shadow of the Rockies, some mountain snowstorms strong enough to make it past the front range were also strong enough to make it past the state line as well.  Here in the southeastern part of the state, though, snow in October is unusual.

The highways were slick as I was coming to work, and the some of the clearest spots were actually the worst:  ice instead of snow to drive on.

Well, I just found out that this October snow is even more unusual than I realized.  Wichita broke the record for snowfall on October 26, which had previously been only 0.5 inches.  Any snowfall today automatically breaks the record for October 27, because there has never been any recorded snowfall on this date in Wichita.  We also broke the record for lowest high temp and lowest low temp yesterday.

Contrast that to where I grew up in northwestern Kansas, where I have a distinct memory of trick-or-treating during a blizzard–complete with full-body snow suit over our costumes.  (My friend and I made out like bandits that year, because everyone had bought a bunch of candy but nobody but us was coming to their door.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2020, 11:34:49 AM
Well, I just found out that this October snow is even more unusual than I realized.  Wichita broke the record for snowfall on October 26, which had previously been only 0.5 inches.  Any snowfall today automatically breaks the record for October 27, because there has never been any recorded snowfall on this date in Wichita.  We also broke the record for lowest high temp and lowest low temp yesterday.

Wow, that is crazy. We average around 100 inches of snow a year and even here it's rare to get significant snow before Halloween. Last year we had a spell of bitter cold and several snowfalls around Veteran's Day, and even that felt early.

US 89

Another gray, cloudy day today with temperatures around 70. Tropical storm watch is in effect through Thursday morning thanks to Zeta; we'll see if it gets upgraded to a warning tomorrow. Could be the most significant wind impact Atlanta has seen from a tropical system since Irma.

Scott5114

Whereas down in the OKC area, we mostly just got ice, it seems. I just got off a 12-hour power outage due to downed power lines.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 28, 2020, 03:54:39 AM
Whereas down in the OKC area, we mostly just got ice, it seems. I just got off a 12-hour power outage due to downed power lines.

The snow here in Wichita froze over on top yesterday.  Before heading to bed, I took the boys outside to show them that one could knock on the snow in the yard with his knuckles.  By now, though, it has mostly melted.
Male pronouns, please.

thspfc

It snowed briefly here on Sunday. Melted by the middle of Monday. Since it has been fairly nice, sunny and upper 30s/40s.

ET21

Finally had sunshine for the first time over a week and a half
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ozarkman417

One more day of rain, then about a week or so of sunshine. For the weekend:

-Nice temperatures, in the 50s and 60s
-Peak fall foliage
-Water in the creeks around here, finally

kphoger

Quote from: ET21 on October 28, 2020, 11:49:30 PM
Finally had sunshine for the first time over a week and a half

The weather finally cleared up here as well.  Here's the mid-morning view from my driveway.  The street was still wet, but almost no clouds in the sky.

Male pronouns, please.

I-55

For the past few days its been cloudy with occasional showers. Needless to say I've been indoors a lot lately.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

US 89

We got hit by Tropical Storm Zeta early this morning. It did not rain as much as initially feared, but the wind lived up to expectations. Trees and branches were down everywhere. I never lost power, but apparently over a million customers did.

The sun is now out for the first time in four days, but it comes at the expense of high humidity. That won't last long, though: a strong, dry cold front should knock our highs down into the 60s starting tomorrow.

CoreySamson

Absolute gorgeous in Houston the past few days. Sunny with highs in the 50s and 60s, lows in the 40s, with a nippy breeze from the north.

A small observation here. It seems that the general sentiment around America is that winter is the dreariest and most depressing season when it comes to weather. They also can't wait for it to warm up in summer. However, my family is the exact opposite. We get really happy when winter rolls around because of days like today, but in the summertime, the heat drags and is honestly a bit depressing. Guess it's just a matter of perspective.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

US 89

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 29, 2020, 10:05:56 PM
A small observation here. It seems that the general sentiment around America is that winter is the dreariest and most depressing season when it comes to weather. They also can't wait for it to warm up in summer. However, my family is the exact opposite. We get really happy when winter rolls around because of days like today, but in the summertime, the heat drags and is honestly a bit depressing. Guess it's just a matter of perspective.

That's because Houston has some of the most oppressive heat you can find anywhere in the US. Summer heat in most of the US is either moderately hot and very humid (like say, Florida) or very hot and not so humid (interior plains or western US). Houston manages to combine the worst of both worlds.

As for winter, Houston has the advantage of being located far enough south that day length really doesn't vary a ton. Even in December, you'll always get at least 10 hours of daylight there. For anything located above 31 degrees latitude or so, this is not the case. At 40 degrees latitude, day length gets down to 9.25 hours in the heart of winter. And if you keep going north to a place like Seattle (47.6N), you'll find their shortest winter days are less than 8.5 hours long.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on October 30, 2020, 12:25:33 AM
At 40 degrees latitude, day length gets down to 9.25 hours in the heart of winter. And if you keep going north to a place like Seattle (47.6N), you'll find their shortest winter days are less than 8.5 hours long.

Thank you. Winter days here are far colder than anything Houston would regularly get, often things are wet (not always raining but often it has only been 24 to 48 hours since the last rainfall), and its dark. Like really dark. Like commuting to and from work in either dark or darkish conditions for months.

On the other hand, our summers are basically like Houston in the fall and, on colder days, Houston's winter. So yeah, I like summer :-D.

You will find Seattleites who will go out of their way to tell you how much they like our winters. There are some that genuinely do, but they're usually just nutty Cascadians who only permit themselves to enjoy the most PNW aspects of life, like driving a wagon, enjoying the rainy cold and dark days, and hiking. Oh, and eating granola bars. Okay, yes, I do those things too, but I like the sun as well lol. You will never see more people "out" in the Pacific Northwest than on a sunny day, since we don't have that many, and they're rarely oppressive (not humid, 80s at most).

roadman65

It was a nice cool this morning in Lakeland, Florida for a change. Been in 80s a lot lately.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Sunny, virtually no wind, 36 degrees.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.