News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most dangerous beaches

Started by Flint1979, February 03, 2024, 12:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: Rothman on February 14, 2024, 09:58:39 AM

Quote from: GaryV on February 14, 2024, 09:08:35 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 14, 2024, 09:03:18 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2024, 07:12:21 AM
New Smyrna Beach, Florida with all its shark attacks. Locally the city is known as the Shark Bite Capital.
32 shark attacks since 2010 there.  Chances still seem slim.

Worse than the Lake Michigan beaches that were listed upthread.   :-/

Hm.  I'd bet cold water kills more than sharks.

At least in Lake Michigan, you can wear a wet suit to deal with the cold water, and not have a shark mistake you for a yummy seal.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

Quote from: oscar on February 14, 2024, 10:04:25 AM

Quote from: GaryV on February 14, 2024, 09:08:35 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 14, 2024, 09:03:18 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2024, 07:12:21 AM
New Smyrna Beach, Florida with all its shark attacks. Locally the city is known as the Shark Bite Capital.
32 shark attacks since 2010 there.  Chances still seem slim.

Worse than the Lake Michigan beaches that were listed upthread.   :-/

Hm.  I'd bet cold water kills more than sharks.

At least in Lake Michigan, you can wear a wet suit to deal with the cold water, and not have a shark mistake you for a yummy seal.
Sure, but people are dying in the Great Lakes.  You don't necessarily die from a shark bite and, when you have only 32 attacks at the worst beach over a time period longer than a decade, it seems to me the cold water and whatever currents in the Great Lakes are the greater danger...let alone we probably don't keep track of people who just come down with a case of hypothermia.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Lake Michigan's problem is the amount of people that use the lake so with more people around Lake Michigan there are going to be more drownings but not any shark attacks. I almost refuse to go into the Great Lakes to swim or anything. I've been in 3 of the Great Lakes though (Superior, Michigan and Huron). Superior is cold but the spot I was in wasn't as cold as the rest of the lake. It is a beach called Sand Point Beach which is located at the very northern part of Munising and with Grand Island blocking most of the lake away from the beach the water is a bit warmer than the rest of the lake. The thing to watch out for in Lake Superior is how quickly the water gets deep, in this area there is a 65 foot drop off a little ways out in the water but if you stay close enough to shore it's not a problem. I then took the Pictured Rocks tour which goes out and turns around near Chapel Beach and I was asking the guy on the boat a bunch of questions and he's the one that told me about the drop off at Sand Point Beach.

kphoger

I'd bet cold water kills more than sharks.

You'd win that bet.  Cold water also kills humans.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on February 14, 2024, 12:39:30 PM
I'd bet cold water kills more than sharks.

You'd win that bet.  Cold water also kills humans.
Hey-o!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 14, 2024, 11:55:08 AM
Superior is cold but the spot I was in wasn't as cold as the rest of the lake. It is a beach called Sand Point Beach which is located at the very northern part of Munising and with Grand Island blocking most of the lake away from the beach the water is a bit warmer than the rest of the lake. The thing to watch out for in Lake Superior is how quickly the water gets deep, in this area there is a 65 foot drop off a little ways out in the water but if you stay close enough to shore it's not a problem. I then took the Pictured Rocks tour which goes out and turns around near Chapel Beach and I was asking the guy on the boat a bunch of questions and he's the one that told me about the drop off at Sand Point Beach.

The drop off thing isn't true everywhere along Lake Superior.  Swim off Minnesota Point in Duluth and you can walk a long, long ways out.  Several bays in Bayfield County stay waist-deep for so long, one gives up on walking out.
Chequamegon Bay is the warmest water in Lake Superior.  It's mostly sheltered from the main lake and is relatively shallow, so it's good for swimming.  Especially on the Ashland side.

Best conditions for swimming in Lake Superior are actually in like September because the lake has had all summer to warm up.  A few days of consistent wind blowing into whatever shore you're on will ensure that warm surface water piles up on your side of the lake.

The wind thing has such a dramatic effect on Lake Michigan.  Because the wind usually blows toward Michigan, the warmest water gets pushed over to that side.  Combined with the pure sand from Grand Traverse Bay south, it's some very fine swimming (assuming not too much filamentous algae has washed up on shore.). Meanwhile, on the Wisconsin side, those prevailing winds generally cause upwelling of colder water from deeper in the lake to replace the warm surface water pushed toward Michigan.  So it could be 90 degrees for a week, but if you got westerly winds, the water will still be absolutely frigid in the dog days of summer.  Just as well since the aforementioned algae is always piling up on our beaches.  Goddamn quagga mussels...
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Flint1979

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 14, 2024, 01:15:54 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 14, 2024, 11:55:08 AM
Superior is cold but the spot I was in wasn't as cold as the rest of the lake. It is a beach called Sand Point Beach which is located at the very northern part of Munising and with Grand Island blocking most of the lake away from the beach the water is a bit warmer than the rest of the lake. The thing to watch out for in Lake Superior is how quickly the water gets deep, in this area there is a 65 foot drop off a little ways out in the water but if you stay close enough to shore it's not a problem. I then took the Pictured Rocks tour which goes out and turns around near Chapel Beach and I was asking the guy on the boat a bunch of questions and he's the one that told me about the drop off at Sand Point Beach.

The drop off thing isn't true everywhere along Lake Superior.  Swim off Minnesota Point in Duluth and you can walk a long, long ways out.  Several bays in Bayfield County stay waist-deep for so long, one gives up on walking out.
Chequamegon Bay is the warmest water in Lake Superior.  It's mostly sheltered from the main lake and is relatively shallow, so it's good for swimming.  Especially on the Ashland side.

Best conditions for swimming in Lake Superior are actually in like September because the lake has had all summer to warm up.  A few days of consistent wind blowing into whatever shore you're on will ensure that warm surface water piles up on your side of the lake.

The wind thing has such a dramatic effect on Lake Michigan.  Because the wind usually blows toward Michigan, the warmest water gets pushed over to that side.  Combined with the pure sand from Grand Traverse Bay south, it's some very fine swimming (assuming not too much filamentous algae has washed up on shore.). Meanwhile, on the Wisconsin side, those prevailing winds generally cause upwelling of colder water from deeper in the lake to replace the warm surface water pushed toward Michigan.  So it could be 90 degrees for a week, but if you got westerly winds, the water will still be absolutely frigid in the dog days of summer.  Just as well since the aforementioned algae is always piling up on our beaches.  Goddamn quagga mussels...
Superior has deep enough water that you need to watch out for and some of those beaches drop off quickly. Yeah but the deep cold water in Lake Superior stays pretty cold year round. Usually the east side of the lakes has the best beaches.

Rothman

Oh, we haven't talked about lampreys latching onto Great Lakes swimmers yet...

triplemultiplex

Rothman

triplemultiplex

Flint1979

The thing with Michigan is that you don't have to go to a Great Lake to go to the beach. We have so many inland lakes that you can take your pick on what one you want to go to pretty much.

Rothman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.