AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: New Jersey  (Read 997703 times)

plain

• Last Login: Today at 03:34:00 PM
Re: New Jersey
« Reply #4625 on: March 06, 2024, 08:49:23 PM »

Well if you've ever driven through Hoboken, it's so congested that you can hardly get over 20mph on most streets.

THIS.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #4626 on: March 06, 2024, 09:28:10 PM »

Why would you need to drive through Hoboken?  All the main roads avoid it. :D

Also, why anyone would expect to drive through a small, dense city like that at more than 20 mph is beyond me. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 10:37:30 PM
« Reply #4627 on: March 07, 2024, 06:43:30 PM »

All the major roads do bypass Hoboken, but I seem to remember you can get to the Lincoln Tunnel from Route 139 through that city. Some use it as an alternate and at one time there was a sign at Jersey Avenue for the Lincoln Tunnel with follow up signs throughout Hoboken telling you what streets to use. Don’t remember which I used except for the 14th Street Viaduct, as that does stand out from the rest.

Of course this was over thirty years ago, so traffic volumes might of increased since then, but I’m sure there are some that might use it still to avoid Route 495 through Union City.

However 20 mph is better than slow crawl on 495. So I imagine those folks aren’t complaining.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #4628 on: March 07, 2024, 07:22:38 PM »

All the major roads do bypass Hoboken, but I seem to remember you can get to the Lincoln Tunnel from Route 139 through that city. Some use it as an alternate and at one time there was a sign at Jersey Avenue for the Lincoln Tunnel with follow up signs throughout Hoboken telling you what streets to use. Don’t remember which I used except for the 14th Street Viaduct, as that does stand out from the rest.

Of course this was over thirty years ago, so traffic volumes might of increased since then, but I’m sure there are some that might use it still to avoid Route 495 through Union City.

However 20 mph is better than slow crawl on 495. So I imagine those folks aren’t complaining.

I had a guy in my carpool that used to get off the highway because it was congested.  He said taking all the side roads was faster.  I pointed out that he's generally doing about 25 mph on the highway in a straight path.  On the side roads he's doing about 25 mph, with several left & right turns, and constantly stopped at lights and stop signs.  When he drove, we consistently got home about 15 minutes later.

Yeah, I get it feels like someone is going slow on a congested highway because we're doing 30 or 40 below the limit. But it's still faster on average than a 25 mph roadway going 25 because there's a lot of extra stoppages to deal with.  And chances are, the mileage is actually longer.

boilerup25

• Jersey Boiler

• Last Login: Today at 11:09:21 PM
    • My TravelMapping Page
« Reply #4629 on: March 07, 2024, 10:25:56 PM »

I had a guy in my carpool that used to get off the highway because it was congested.  He said taking all the side roads was faster.  I pointed out that he's generally doing about 25 mph on the highway in a straight path.  On the side roads he's doing about 25 mph, with several left & right turns, and constantly stopped at lights and stop signs.  When he drove, we consistently got home about 15 minutes later.

Yeah, I get it feels like someone is going slow on a congested highway because we're doing 30 or 40 below the limit. But it's still faster on average than a 25 mph roadway going 25 because there's a lot of extra stoppages to deal with.  And chances are, the mileage is actually longer.

I also remember using Hoboken as a cut-through from the NJ portal of the Lincoln Tunnel to access Jersey City when NY 9A to the Holland Tunnel and US 1-9, as well as the NJ 495 helix had major congestion. I recalled using Willow Street, 15th Street, and Madison/Monroe Street in the western half of Hoboken to then link up with Jersey City. While this potentially was slower, this ended up being a matter of perception versus reality because we felt that the Hoboken streets had an okay amount of flow compared to the alternate routes at the time which were congested (NY 9A/Holland Tunnel, NJ 495 to US 1-9). I guess perception won over in my case.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.