AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: New York  (Read 1641897 times)

cl94

• Helping to break everyone's Sierra clinches

• Last Login: Today at 03:45:57 AM
Re: New York
« Reply #3850 on: August 22, 2018, 08:56:59 PM »

I'm not aware of anything, but it's peak tourist season, and NY 86 through Lake Placid tends to slow WAY down due to frequent pedestrian crossings, parking, etc.  Google will route there for me if I absolutely force it to, but since it defaults to whatever is fasted in the very moment you search, I'm not surprised it's trying to bypass downtown Lake Placid.

Unless it's the offseason, I generally use CR 35 to bypass Lake Placid. But what Froggie is referring to is the section of NY 86 through the country club. Can't route through there unless you place a pin in there to force it. Waze is showing nada, so I have no clue what is going on.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 12:57:15 AM
« Reply #3851 on: August 22, 2018, 09:06:41 PM »

Google Maps usually gives a notification "this route avoids closure on Route X" or something like that. If it doesn't give that message, I'd assume the route you want is genuinely a lot slower, due to the factors vdeane mentioned, among others.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #3852 on: August 23, 2018, 12:22:30 AM »

Google Maps usually gives a notification "this route avoids closure on Route X" or something like that. If it doesn't give that message, I'd assume the route you want is genuinely a lot slower, due to the factors vdeane mentioned, among others.
It has to be the country club, because I just tried it at 0:22 and it still won't go. Oftentimes this happens due to a one-day or one-week event that Google never updates. They did an ironman in 2017 - maybe they did another this year?

Update: Got it to work by placing an intermediate destination at 62 Morningside Drive (right where the long,windy, NW-SE road crosses 86).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:24:36 AM by Alps »

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #3853 on: August 26, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »

N.Y. Times: A Single Road With Many Names, Traversing Many Worlds - No practical person would opt to drive the length of Route 25, the slow road out of New York. So we did it for you.

Weekday mornings bring rush-hour chaos to the Queensboro Bridge.

“You have cars, trucks, cabs, and they’re all blowing their horns,”  said Oscar Vivar, whose sidewalk coffee cart on the Manhattan side of the bridge overlooks a battlefield, with traffic agents fighting gridlock, and drivers vying for tiny advances along clogged streets.

Amid the raging rat race, Mr. Vivar works his tiny grill making egg sandwiches next to a column of traffic inching onto the bridge and sees the lucky people headed out to lovely summer weekends on eastern Long Island.

“That’s the American dream,”  said Mr. Vivar, a Mexican immigrant whose wife, Sara Moran, works alongside him.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

« Reply #3854 on: August 26, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »

N.Y. Times: A Single Road With Many Names, Traversing Many Worlds - No practical person would opt to drive the length of Route 25, the slow road out of New York. So we did it for you.

Weekday mornings bring rush-hour chaos to the Queensboro Bridge.

“You have cars, trucks, cabs, and they’re all blowing their horns,”  said Oscar Vivar, whose sidewalk coffee cart on the Manhattan side of the bridge overlooks a battlefield, with traffic agents fighting gridlock, and drivers vying for tiny advances along clogged streets.

Amid the raging rat race, Mr. Vivar works his tiny grill making egg sandwiches next to a column of traffic inching onto the bridge and sees the lucky people headed out to lovely summer weekends on eastern Long Island.

“That’s the American dream,”  said Mr. Vivar, a Mexican immigrant whose wife, Sara Moran, works alongside him.

Eh, I've driven all of it. Long portions in one sitting, too! Like NY 27, it's a slog. Much easier in the middle of the night.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #3855 on: August 26, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »

What I find most amusing about this thread is that the people arguing for another crossing are not locals, while the people who are being realistic on why this will never happen are the locals....

Many non-locals comment on Norfolk/Hampton Roads area highways, just to use the example I used upthread.
When my father was stationed in the Hampton Roads area during the Korean War, he and everybody else couldn't stand having to wait for the ferry to get to the Delmarva Peninsula. So needless to say he would've loved it if the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel had been around at that time. If you think I would've been against another bridge over the Long Island Sound if I had lived in any of the communities they were supposed to have gone through, you've got another thing coming.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:06:23 PM by D-Dey65 »

baugh17

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:10:08 PM
    • New York Routes
Re: NYS 2017 route log
« Reply #3856 on: August 26, 2018, 10:34:28 PM »

NY 220 is still signed east of Oxford to the Veterans Home as of 8/26/18.

NY 220's extension was signed as of a month ago. NY 8 was still signed to NY 17 last weekend.

The ONLY confirmed removals are in Region 7 and I, along with many others, have confirmed most personally. In cases where the log and inventory files disagree, inventory files trump.

That's always been my belief. It looks like what happened is that somebody looked at maintenance jurisdiction rather than posted numbering and thought, "Oh hey, that section isn't state maintained; it's county. Better remove it from the list."

(MODS: Possible to split off this side-topic?)

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
« Reply #3857 on: August 29, 2018, 12:03:28 AM »

https://goo.gl/maps/u4TEonCU94D2
Is NY 293 SB longer than NY 293 NB?

In the above photo you see US 6 EB use half the road in the image.  US 6 WB is on the ramp to the far left, as US 6 and NY 293 interchange at a trumpet where NY 293 is the main body and US 6 exits itself to become the Long Mountain Parkway.  I assume that NY 293 uses the left side of the double line and officially ends where US 6 merges behind the image here?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

« Reply #3858 on: August 29, 2018, 12:18:34 AM »

In the above photo you see US 6 EB use half the road in the image.  US 6 WB is on the ramp to the far left, as US 6 and NY 293 interchange at a trumpet where NY 293 is the main body and US 6 exits itself to become the Long Mountain Parkway.  I assume that NY 293 uses the left side of the double line and officially ends where US 6 merges behind the image here?

Officially, no. Reference marker 1000 is located at the split. Knowing how Region 8 does things and based on what I can see from the public shapefiles, that short two-way stretch of EB US 6 inside the trumpet is considered to be the EB side of a one-way pair and the WB side of that carries no designation. I'd need someone with access to internal NYSDOT files to confirm.

empirestate

• Last Login: November 22, 2022, 03:56:23 PM
    • Empire State Roads
« Reply #3859 on: August 29, 2018, 01:43:31 AM »

I don't think they get that specific. I think this road is just US 6 eastbound, even though it happens to be a two-way road. Similarly, the loop ramp of the trumpet ends at a two-way roadway that happens to carry only US 6 westbound.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
« Reply #3860 on: August 29, 2018, 01:13:44 PM »

I would like to know who thought of this interchange in the first place.  Its really laid out wrongly.  US 6 should be the main body with 293 exiting. 

I am guessing that has to do with US 6 many years ago following what is now NY 293, and then later being re-routed to follow the Long Mountain Pky and PIP to the Beat Mountain Bridge.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #3861 on: August 29, 2018, 03:28:29 PM »

Note that trucks are banned from the Long Mountain Parkway.  They have to take NY 293.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

• Last Login: November 22, 2022, 03:56:23 PM
    • Empire State Roads
« Reply #3862 on: August 30, 2018, 07:42:31 PM »

Also note that the route through to West Point is via NY 293, so that may be another reason for it to have geometric priority (not that there's all that much materiel being moved on and off the post…).

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #3863 on: September 02, 2018, 12:42:50 AM »

Note that trucks are banned from the Long Mountain Parkway.  They have to take NY 293.
Yes, but unfortunately, westbound trucks have to deal with a low, narrow bridge under US 9W and very little signage for US Truck Route 6 along US 9W.

okc1

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:39:13 PM
« Reply #3864 on: September 06, 2018, 09:51:07 AM »

For those of you who predicted problems with the US 219 freeway south of Springville, with the soft soil. You were right. http://springvillejournal.com/News/Lane-closure-on-219-starts-today.html
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

webny99

« Reply #3865 on: September 17, 2018, 03:56:09 PM »

Does NYSDOT have any sort of set schedule for paving state highways?

I'm wondering when certain state routes in my area are scheduled to be paved and I'm having a hard time finding anything online.
Is it possible, if a highway has been pothole-filled and left without resurfacing for ~15 years, that it's a sign that they are waiting on funding to include major upgrades, new turning lanes, and so forth, with the resurfacing?

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #3866 on: September 17, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »

Not by route.  Projects are chosen by a combination of what the bridge and pavement models spit out based upon conditions...and political pressures.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

« Reply #3867 on: September 19, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »

Which is kind of what I thought.. and also what makes me wonder if they're waiting on funding for other, more large scale, improvements, and don't want to pave it twice within a short time frame.

If it was really based upon conditions, NY 286 would have been paved 5+, if not 10+, years ago. Yet they paved a tiny, 1/4 mile segment under NY 590 this summer, and left the rest of it (from there to NY 250) in its current state of disrepair. Interesting..

seicer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:08 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #3868 on: September 20, 2018, 11:07:39 AM »

It looks like all of the NY 13 guide signs from Ithaca north towards Lansing are being replaced. I don't think these signs are original - but may date to circa 1975? Crews are out drilling for new posts.

machias

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:02:10 AM
« Reply #3869 on: September 20, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »

It looks like all of the NY 13 guide signs from Ithaca north towards Lansing are being replaced. I don't think these signs are original - but may date to circa 1975? Crews are out drilling for new posts.

The existing signs are from the late 90s/early 2000s. Signing dating to 1975 would be dark green, button copy, and most likely all-text.

Buffaboy

• I love good roads AND public transit

• Last Login: March 09, 2024, 07:38:19 PM
« Reply #3870 on: September 23, 2018, 10:35:53 PM »

Work on the northbound Buffalo Skyway is appearing to wrap up. I drive by it nearly every day. The bridge deck is all new, it looks like they either sandblasted or painted the side barriers, and everything just looks spectacular. I can't wait to drive on it when it opens.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Michael

• Last Login: June 24, 2023, 11:12:51 AM
« Reply #3871 on: September 23, 2018, 11:31:31 PM »

I drove from Rome to Auburn last night using NY 46, NY 31, NY 298, I-481, I-690, NY 695, and NY 5, and here's a few things I noticed:

• The roundabout at NY 31 and NY 13 is going to open soon.  I think the VMS said the 26th or 27th.  It was odd that the sign literally said "9/26 or 9/27".  I'm assuming they weren't sure of the exact day.  The intersection is still configured as a four-way intersection.
  • It looks like a TWLTL is being installed on NY 31 on the east side of Bridgeport to at least NY 298, but I can't find anything on the NYSDOT projects page.
  • There's a mini roundabout at NY 31 and NY 298.  This article says that construction started on August 20th, and this article says that it was expected to take a week to build.  I thought it was confusing since the blinking light was still there, it was dark when I drove through, there's construction on NY 31 nearby, it was squeezed into the existing intersection footprint, there's no chevron signs in the middle, and it's literally just a solid yellow circle on the pavement.  It was impossible to see it until the last second.
  • The high-mast lighting at the I-690/NY 695 interchange has been replaced with white LED lights. I kind of remember a lack of orange from sodium vapor lights when I went to a concert at the nearby amphitheater in June, but I don't remember for sure.
  • There was a VMS on NY 695 with a message about upcoming sign work.  Over the past few months, work has been done to install new overhead signs on the NY 5 Camillus Bypass.  The sign at the Hinsdale Road exit had the new supports installed just before the existing sign, but there may have been more that I didn't see.  While driving in the opposite direction a week earlier, I saw box spans sitting on the ground at the Camillus/Warners exit and there were new supports installed just before the existing sign on the westbound side, but again, there may have been others I didn't see.  There are other locations in the project too, but I've only seen the work on NY 5.  The plans for the project can be found here.  I find it weird that the pull-through sign at NY 173 will have Auburn below the NY 5 shield instead of next to it like on the current sign.  Obviously, everything fits now, so why add the extra sign height?
  • The signs for the Camillus/Warners exit on NY 5 weren't very reflective
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:34:23 PM by Michael »

machias

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:02:10 AM
« Reply #3872 on: September 24, 2018, 01:20:55 PM »

The existing signs are from the late 90s/early 2000s. Signing dating to 1975 would be dark green, button copy, and most likely all-text.

Now that I think about it, the original button copy signs along that stretch of NY 13 used to have some pretty nifty "ghost writing" where the button copy had been moved around once or twice. I wish I grabbed some photos back then, this would have been 1986-1992 when I would come through there.

kalvado

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:03:25 PM
« Reply #3873 on: September 29, 2018, 06:25:59 AM »

And yet another round in Cuomo signs saga...
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Agreement-reached-on-NYS-tourism-signs-13267631.php
Is it just me, or "reached an agreement to launch an innovative experimental project to allow tourism signage" sounds like a new set of signs with a more innovative shade of blue and a truly innovative way of ignoring FHWA rules?

seicer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:08 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #3874 on: September 29, 2018, 07:39:19 AM »

I am interested to see what's been developed. I think that the tourism signs, while overkill with the quick succession signs, were ultimately successful. The gateway signs for particular regions are helpful, and work well in conjunction with New York's beautiful themed rest areas (take note, other states). I think that many of the issues have been resolved - such as the display of the website and app.

I hope those new signs that were used during the campaign - like New York State Parks, and Path Through History, are not reused - or used outside of those gateway signs. They were unreadable at highway speeds, much less anything slower. Too much text. What's wrong with the park/tree icon and the state park name under it that is/was used?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.