AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: New York  (Read 1641885 times)

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: New York
« Reply #3875 on: September 29, 2018, 10:52:50 PM »

How about one gateway sign, welcome to this region, see what we have at our rest stop in x miles.

kalvado

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:03:25 PM
« Reply #3876 on: September 30, 2018, 09:50:16 AM »

I am interested to see what's been developed. I think that the tourism signs, while overkill with the quick succession signs, were ultimately successful. The gateway signs for particular regions are helpful, and work well in conjunction with New York's beautiful themed rest areas (take note, other states). I think that many of the issues have been resolved - such as the display of the website and app.

I hope those new signs that were used during the campaign - like New York State Parks, and Path Through History, are not reused - or used outside of those gateway signs. They were unreadable at highway speeds, much less anything slower. Too much text. What's wrong with the park/tree icon and the state park name under it that is/was used?
I wonder if there is any numerical measure for success. I don't know how many people end up in upstate without at least a vague idea of what they are doing and would have their plans changed because of signs.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #3877 on: September 30, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »

I am interested to see what's been developed. I think that the tourism signs, while overkill with the quick succession signs, were ultimately successful. The gateway signs for particular regions are helpful, and work well in conjunction with New York's beautiful themed rest areas (take note, other states). I think that many of the issues have been resolved - such as the display of the website and app.

I hope those new signs that were used during the campaign - like New York State Parks, and Path Through History, are not reused - or used outside of those gateway signs. They were unreadable at highway speeds, much less anything slower. Too much text. What's wrong with the park/tree icon and the state park name under it that is/was used?
Earlier articles about the negotiation said that the new signs would just be the main ones, not the smaller ones, and not have the URL or app on them.  Apparently the big impasse was over whether the word "experience" could be in italics or not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CanesFan27

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:50:17 PM
« Reply #3878 on: September 30, 2018, 09:01:18 PM »

When most people think of famous Whipple's, they think of the local grocer that liked to squeeze toilet paper.  Well, there is actually a very famous and influential Whipple that revolutionized bridge building in the 1800s.  His name is Squire Whipple and when I lived in Albany I was able to find one of his remaining bowstring trusses. 

And as I researched for this blog entry, I found out that there are three additional Whipple Bridges in the Albany area.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-capital-regions-whipple-bridges.html

DJStephens

• Last Login: Today at 01:11:36 AM
« Reply #3879 on: October 13, 2018, 07:47:21 PM »

Any comments on the October 10th Schoharie Ford Excursion limousine crash, that killed 20?  One has to wonder if driver impairment was to blame here.   
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:49:28 PM by DJStephens »

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
« Reply #3880 on: October 13, 2018, 08:03:44 PM »

Any comments on the October 10th Schoharie Ford Excursion limousine crash, that killed 20?  One has to wonder if driver impairment was to blame here.

You may want to try the dedicated thread on the subject.

Buffaboy

• I love good roads AND public transit

• Last Login: March 09, 2024, 07:38:19 PM
« Reply #3881 on: October 19, 2018, 04:36:01 PM »

This is an interesting place to put signs

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

kalvado

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:03:25 PM
« Reply #3882 on: October 26, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »

A small question.. There is some road work on I-87 southbound, between exits 10 and 9. Just 1 truck and 1 bulldozer - but it goes on for the second week if not more. It really looks like they are putting in a driveway to the interstate.
Any idea what that is?

UPD: actually a bit further north, and there is already something like a driveway there on google maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9116943,-73.7941708,3a,75y,220.27h,83.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQtQrjuhLc92AP5gCkEMHqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:52:20 PM by kalvado »

GenExpwy

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:50:43 AM
« Reply #3883 on: October 27, 2018, 03:29:41 AM »

A small question.. There is some road work on I-87 southbound, between exits 10 and 9. Just 1 truck and 1 bulldozer - but it goes on for the second week if not more. It really looks like they are putting in a driveway to the interstate.
Any idea what that is?

UPD: actually a bit further north, and there is already something like a driveway there on google maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9116943,-73.7941708,3a,75y,220.27h,83.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQtQrjuhLc92AP5gCkEMHqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Might just be some sort of DOT dumping area. They put one in on I-390 just south of exit 10 some years ago. I thought it looked like a driveway, too. Is it directly opposite the U-turn?
Aerial
Street View
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 03:35:39 AM by GenExpwy »

Buffaboy

« Reply #3884 on: October 31, 2018, 05:46:16 AM »

Just drove on Skyway. Can confirm longitudinal tining and new signage throughout.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

Buffaboy

« Reply #3885 on: November 07, 2018, 01:25:08 AM »

What road is busier, Transit Rd or Niagara Falls Blvd?

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 12:57:15 AM
« Reply #3886 on: November 07, 2018, 08:47:18 PM »

https://gis3.dot.ny.gov/html5viewer/?viewer=tdv

Both have segments over 25K, but Transit Road has high volumes sustained for much longer distances, and certainly has more regional importance.

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #3887 on: November 08, 2018, 07:24:09 AM »

Where is that, Buffaboy?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Buffaboy

« Reply #3888 on: November 08, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »

Where is that, Buffaboy?

ixnay

NY 5 at Tifft St

Mccojm

• Last Login: May 02, 2023, 01:55:52 PM
« Reply #3889 on: November 13, 2018, 01:16:55 AM »

NYSDOT region 10 long island  is holding a public meeting 11/28 in regards to the oakdale merge on ny-27 sunrise hwy which is a horrible bottle neck in both directions. State is seeking public opinions about issues and possible solutions. There is a short term fix contract already let which is scheduled to begin in the spring including ramp meters, closing some ramps and opening up median barrier to allow emergency vehicles to cross over. I’ve seen some of the long term plans which include stacking the highway as the dot is pretty constrained with donated land for state park and arboretum bordering both sides. Either way, it’s going to cost a fortune and take forever to finish and the public is gonna be pissed either way. I plan on attending just to see what’s happening there as most of us at dot are left in the dark about these things.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2018/2018-11-13
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:02:54 PM by Mccojm »
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:06 PM
« Reply #3890 on: November 13, 2018, 03:38:39 PM »

Has there been any discussion about the upcoming reconstruction of the Interstate 278 Promenade structure in Brooklyn? This page has 156 pages and I don't have time to go through all of them. I have a feeling this project will be a long, difficult one. Does anyone have any ideas about this project?

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #3891 on: November 13, 2018, 08:06:39 PM »

I want to say yes, but I don't recall specifically.  It would be more likely to be in the NYC Roads thread, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #3892 on: November 13, 2018, 11:46:05 PM »

Has there been any discussion about the upcoming reconstruction of the Interstate 278 Promenade structure in Brooklyn? This page has 156 pages and I don't have time to go through all of them. I have a feeling this project will be a long, difficult one. Does anyone have any ideas about this project?
They haven't settled on what they're doing yet. Still trying to sort through all the community feedback.

bob7374

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 11:11:09 AM
    • Bob Malme's Road Pages
« Reply #3893 on: November 28, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »

The first media report has appeared about the changing of the exit numbers along I-84 (this is in response to a memo sent out to all 'stakeholders' along the route by NYSDOT a couple weeks ago, posted on the Facebook group Northeast Roads, preliminary work has started, the numbers, and new signs, won't start going up until the spring). It's not by a talk or news outlet, but a rock station. http://i95rock.com/all-of-i-84-in-the-hudson-valley-to-get-new-exit-numbers/

The Ghostbuster

« Reply #3894 on: November 28, 2018, 03:16:03 PM »

Are any other highways in New York that currently have sequencial exit numbers planning a mileage-based conversion in the near future?

Mccojm

• Last Login: May 02, 2023, 01:55:52 PM
« Reply #3895 on: November 28, 2018, 05:56:19 PM »

Are any other highways in New York that currently have sequencial exit numbers planning a mileage-based conversion in the near future?

https://www.dot.ny.gov/about-nysdot/faq/nys-interstate-exit--system-sequential-or-milepost-system

Per the link I posted:

“Is New York State planning to change its Interstate exit numbering system from a sequential system to a distance-based milepost system?

At this time, the Department does not have immediate plans to adopt the mileage based exit numbering system although strong consideration has been given to the idea. The use of both consecutive and milepost exit numbering systems is approved by the Federal Highway Administration. While many states have converted to the milepost exit numbering system, New York is one of several states in the Northeast that still numbers freeway exits using the consecutive numbering system.

Actually, New York was an early pioneer in converting exit numbers from a consecutive order (e.g. Exit 1, Exit 2, Exit 3, ...) to a system based on distance (miles or kilometers). In the 1970's, New York unsuccessfully experimented with the mileage based system in New York City and Schenectady. The milepost system works best when exits are separated by more than a mile. Unfortunately, in some of New York's urban areas, exit spacing is less than a mile.

The Department released a report in January 2003 regarding the feasibility of converting exit numbers on freeways from a consecutive numbering system to a milepost exit numbering system. The conclusion was that although the change is technically possible, it would be quite costly and would have to compete with other worthwhile projects for consideration of scarce resources. Since the Federal Highway Administration has not made adopting the reference post marking system a mandate, but rather an option; New York will likely defer the changeover until it becomes a requirement or additional funding is available to implement the plan.”

As others pointed out, it’s dated. As far as I know, here on Long Island there are no plans to change the exit numbers. There’s a few sign jobs but none involve exit numbers from what I saw.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:44:22 PM by Mccojm »
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #3896 on: November 28, 2018, 05:59:30 PM »

Since the Federal Highway Administration has not made adopting the reference post marking system a mandate, but rather an option;

This was the case in 2003.  However, the 2009 MUTCD mandated it, though FHWA has not set a hard end-date on when all states must conform.  At one point, there was a soft date during this current year (2018).

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #3897 on: November 28, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »

https://www.dot.ny.gov/about-nysdot/faq/nys-interstate-exit--system-sequential-or-milepost-system

Is New York State planning to change its Interstate exit numbering system from a sequential system to a distance-based milepost system?

At this time, the Department does not have immediate plans to adopt the mileage based exit numbering system although strong consideration has been given to the idea. The use of both consecutive and milepost exit numbering systems is approved by the Federal Highway Administration. While many states have converted to the milepost exit numbering system, New York is one of several states in the Northeast that still numbers freeway exits using the consecutive numbering system.

Actually, New York was an early pioneer in converting exit numbers from a consecutive order (e.g. Exit 1, Exit 2, Exit 3, ...) to a system based on distance (miles or kilometers). In the 1970's, New York unsuccessfully experimented with the mileage based system in New York City and Schenectady. The milepost system works best when exits are separated by more than a mile. Unfortunately, in some of New York's urban areas, exit spacing is less than a mile.

The Department released a report in January 2003 regarding the feasibility of converting exit numbers on freeways from a consecutive numbering system to a milepost exit numbering system. The conclusion was that although the change is technically possible, it would be quite costly and would have to compete with other worthwhile projects for consideration of scarce resources. Since the Federal Highway Administration has not made adopting the reference post marking system a mandate, but rather an option; New York will likely defer the changeover until it becomes a requirement or additional funding is available to implement the plan.

Keep in mind that this page hasn't been updated in more than a decade.  Since then, I-781 was built with mileage-based numbers, US 15 was converted, the Taconic gained numbers, and the I-84 conversion was designed.

The Ghostbuster

« Reply #3898 on: November 29, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »

Maybe someday, all the highways in New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Delaware, and elsewhere will conform to the 2009 mandate over mileage-based exits. Of course, I realize this will continue to be a long, slow process. I also realize that universal public acceptance of mileage-based exit numbers can never be mandated.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:21:35 PM by The Ghostbuster »

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 07:17:45 PM
« Reply #3899 on: November 29, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »

I-87 will probably be the last one in New York State to be converted.
C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.