News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Two gems that I found at Eastridge Mall in Gastonia today. 

IMG_1372 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

IMG_1371 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Jakeallentn

Found this surprise in Nashville on Donaldson Pike near the Airport. I am willing to bet this may be the only one in the entire state...

IMG_0450 by Jake Allen, on Flickr

formulanone

Quote from: Jakeallentn on July 14, 2018, 08:31:56 AM
Found this surprise in Nashville on Donaldson Pike near the Airport. I am willing to bet this may be the only one in the entire state...

I reckon that's a unicorn!

Welcome to the boards, Jake.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: formulanone on July 14, 2018, 10:06:45 AM
Quote from: Jakeallentn on July 14, 2018, 08:31:56 AM

Didn't a few crop up near Memphis a couple years ago? And then there is/was the infamous "state" ones near Knoxville, IIRC. Either way, I have something to check out the next time I'm up in that part of Nashville!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Roadwarriors79

Just wondering, how do you guys feel about state-named shields on a BGS? Last week I saw a couple on I-80 in Wyoming. Other than the interstates in Maine, I don't remember seeing state-named shields on a BGS anywhere else.

Also, I was on I-80 through Illinois and saw one state-named I-80 shield EB on the Tri State Tollway multiplex with I-294.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on July 15, 2018, 11:31:46 AM
Just wondering, how do you guys feel about state-named shields on a BGS? Last week I saw a couple on I-80 in Wyoming. Other than the interstates in Maine, I don't remember seeing state-named shields on a BGS anywhere else.

I've seen them in both Georgia (for I-16 on I-95) & Pennsylvania (on PA-28 for I-279).

csw

Also, I was on I-80 through Illinois and saw one state-named I-80 shield EB on the Tri State Tollway multiplex with I-294.

There is one I-80 shield in both directions at the Halsted St. interchange. It's near impossible to get a good photo though, I've tried.

jakeroot

I'm not a fan of state names on a BGS. They're too far away from the driver (in most instances) to be easily readable, so they end up just cluttering the shield. If the sign is ground-mounted, it's less bothersome.

Washington has had a few state-named shields on BGSs. Other than all the little-green signs in Seattle, this is the only one still standing AFAIK: https://goo.gl/JdXvPm

thenetwork

Colorado and Utah say Hi...

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on July 14, 2018, 10:06:45 AM

I texted this photo to both Jake and Jeff, and neither knew about the shield. Both are going to check it out next week on separate trips to Nashville.

formulanone

Confirmed sighting of the Tennessee I-40 shield...there seems to be lots of recent signage near the exit roads from BNA, since they're under construction.

bassoon1986

Someone has posted this before, but I passed by there today. Mississippi shield for I-12 at the NASA exit just 2 miles east of Louisiana border

iPhone

tckma

formulanone

Someone on these boards posted the whereabouts of this one in the Cincinnati area a few years ago, but I can't recall who to credit.

But it's still standing as of last week:

hbelkins

I saw it five years ago. Given that it's on a city street, away from ODOT maintenance, I'd say it will stay up until it's stolen or that utility pole is replaced.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

csw

Bainbridge, NY:

Roadwarriors79

freebrickproductions

Is Nevada currently using state-named Interstate shields? When I was in Reno, I saw quite a mix of neutered and state-named shields, but wasn't sure which were newer (though there were more state-named ones, including a few on BGSes on I-580!).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 02, 2018, 01:24:04 AM
Is Nevada currently using state-named Interstate shields? When I was in Reno, I saw quite a mix of neutered and state-named shields, but wasn't sure which were newer (though there were more state-named ones, including a few on BGSes on I-580!).

I was disappointed to see I-11 in Nevada had all neutered shields (at least so far). I have seen more state named shields than not in Nevada. I think I-215 still has some shields that say "Loop" instead of "Nevada".

roadfro

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on November 02, 2018, 03:57:28 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 02, 2018, 01:24:04 AM

I was disappointed to see I-11 in Nevada had all neutered shields (at least so far). I have seen more state named shields than not in Nevada. I think I-215 still has some shields that say "Loop" instead of "Nevada".

It seems to vary project to project. For example, the recent extension of the I-580 Carson City Freeway between Fairview Drive and S Carson St used neutered shields. But when I-580 shields were added on the mainline and freeway entrance sign packages at local interchanges were changed over to I-580 shields circa 2012 (when I-580 was first signed), all of these used state-named shields.

I think NDOT maintenance crews tend to use state-named shields when doing one-off replacements, but state-named shield use tends to vary on major projects where installed by contractors.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

US71

Washington, PA

I saw two in Indiana and a couple in West Virginia, but haven't uploaded them yet.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

frankenroad

Quote from: bassoon1986 on August 08, 2018, 09:44:58 PM
Someone has posted this before, but I passed by there today. Mississippi shield for I-12 at the NASA exit just 2 miles east of Louisiana border

iPhone

I know there is another thread about control cities - but it looks like Mobile replaced a previous control city on this sign.  I assume it was Biloxi as the space is not wide enough for Gulfport or Pascagoula (or Tallahassee for that matter).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Takumi

At the exit of the parking garage of the Greater Richmond Convention Center.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.