Very Short Signal Ahead Sign/Flasher Assembly in Chattanooga TN

Started by Brian556, September 03, 2018, 01:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

SR 319 (FMR SR 58) Amnicola Hwy EB Approaching SR 153. This is rediculous. Chattanooga is the capital of improper traffic control, but, still, where do they come up with this s***?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0890997,-85.2232699,3a,19.7y,135.58h,87.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soJGo7dHzCcDn5FQazFhIRQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

mrcmc888

Guess the TDOT employee who was in charge was too busy calling into Sports Talk demanding Butch Jones be fired to get the signals right  :ded:

txstateends

That looks about like the height that the NTTA is trying on the Dallas N. Tollway for Do Not Enter/Wrong Way signs -- they think that drunks will look down toward the pavement for any lights/signs/markings.  It also reminds me of the early signage assemblies where some shields were down about that low for some reason.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

jakeroot

Quote from: Brian556 on September 03, 2018, 01:16:16 AM
This is [ridiculous]. Chattanooga is the capital of improper traffic control, but, still, where do they come up with this s***?

Massive over-reaction. Signs aren't always mounted up high. The "pass either side" sign is one that is often mounted lower than usual.

While it might be lower than usual, I don't see why it's an actual issue.

Brian556

Quote from: jakeroot on September 03, 2018, 09:23:40 AM
This is [ridiculous]. Chattanooga is the capital of improper traffic control, but, still, where do they come up with this s***?

Massive over-reaction. Signs aren't always mounted up high. The "pass either side" sign is one that is often mounted lower than usual.

Its very non-standard and incorrect.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jakeroot

Quote from: Brian556 on September 03, 2018, 09:53:16 AM

"Very" would be a different color or something. We're talking about vertical placement here. It's not a big deal. Belongs in the "unique" thread, methinks.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: jakeroot on September 03, 2018, 04:34:26 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on September 03, 2018, 09:53:16 AM

"Very" would be a different color or something. We're talking about vertical placement here. It's not a big deal. Belongs in the "unique" thread, methinks.

I agree with Jake. I know it's not completely normal, but it's not too horrific. I am a Dalton, GA native, so I am in Chattanooga all the time, and I've been on this very stretch of road countless times, but I've never had too much of a problem with this sign.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadfro

It's just so odd to see it posted so egregiously below standard mounting height. Assuming this is an urban area and given its in a median, I believe it should be 7 feet minimum from bottom of sign to top of curb/pavement.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on September 05, 2018, 03:57:55 PM
It's just so odd to see it posted so egregiously below standard mounting height. Assuming this is an urban area and given its in a median, I believe it should be 7 feet minimum from bottom of sign to top of curb/pavement.

I wouldn't consider it any more egregious than mounting a signal lower than usual. I don't know why it's mounted as low as it is, but it's not really posing an issue. Would I question it? Sure, as virtually all warning signs are posted higher than what's seen here. But I wouldn't start questioning the morals of TDOT.

freebrickproductions

TBH, TDOT as a whole seems to have an issue with post height sometimes. I can think of several examples of signage, especially route shields, that are lower than they should be off the top of my head.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Mapmikey

It appears to me the height of the overall structure (new since Nov 2016) is the same as the sign that it replaced, which was just the sign with no flashing light or solar panel.  Could be a misreading of contract spec or poor wording of it.  The pavement markings right in front of it do not offer any clues.

roadman

Quote from: txstateends on September 03, 2018, 02:38:15 AM
That looks about like the height that the NTTA is trying on the Dallas N. Tollway for Do Not Enter/Wrong Way signs -- they think that drunks will look down toward the pavement for any lights/signs/markings.  It also reminds me of the early signage assemblies where some shields were down about that low for some reason.

Has nothing to do with drunks looking down at the pavement.  The concept behind low mounting of Wrong Way signs is that a passenger car's headlights will catch the sign more readily than at the standard 7 foot mounting.  Keep Right signs in medians, and warning clusters at gores, are often mounted at a 4 foot height for the same reason.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

UCFKnights

Quote from: roadman on September 06, 2018, 12:16:21 PM
Quote from: txstateends on September 03, 2018, 02:38:15 AM

Has nothing to do with drunks looking down at the pavement.  The concept behind low mounting of Wrong Way signs is that a passenger car's headlights will catch the sign more readily than at the standard 7 foot mounting.  Keep Right signs in medians, and warning clusters at gores, are often mounted at a 4 foot height for the same reason.
So why not put all side mounted signs at that lower height? Only real reason I can think of is to reduce tagging.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.