News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

U-Turn Signals

Started by DaBigE, January 13, 2013, 12:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Mateo

doorknob60

Quote from: jakeroot on December 06, 2018, 07:25:52 PM
Quote from: US 89 on December 06, 2018, 05:36:32 PM
The 70 mph urban limits were first put up in December 2014. Actually, the only urban interstates in Utah that still have a 65 limit are I-80 and I-215 near the Parley's Canyon interchange, mostly because that interchange is outdated and has several tight curves.

The somewhat-frustrating part is that there's a legislative cap of 65 mph on anything that isn't an interstate. This means SR-201, which is essentially up to interstate standards on the freeway portion, will stay at 65mph because it doesn't have a pretty shield. From my experience, US 6/191 near Price, US 40/189 north of Heber, and SR-7 would also greatly benefit from a 70 mph limit.

Ahh, I was there in March 2014. Guess that explains it!

That is a rather strange rule. Doesn't seem to take into account the idea of building non-interstates to interstate standard. In WA, interstates are not posted below 60 unless part of a variable speed system, and typically neither are state route freeways. Pretty much everything is posted at 60, and everything rural is 70 (75 eventually).

Oregon had (and to a lesser extent, still has) that problem. Except it's 55 instead of 65. So you have nice freeways like OR-22 east of Salem and US-26 west of Portland that are stuck at 55 MPH because they don't have the pretty blue shield. Those have always been my biggest pet peeve of speed limits in OR, especially since enforcement seems to be higher on those than on something like I-5. Traffic flow on those are generally 65-70. The good news is that many of the highways in the state had their speed limits legislatively changed to 65 or 70 in Central and Eastern OR, so it's no longer a huge issue (just a smaller issue such as the above examples).

I believe Idaho is similar, except that it's now allowed to be up to 70 on non-interstates, which I think is probably adequate. The only significant stretches of non-interstate freeway are US-95 North of CDA and US-20 East of Idaho Falls, and both seem okay at 70. US-20 maybe could be raised but 95 doesn't need a raise (especially since speed limits in Northern Idaho more closely resemble WA limits, with much of I-90 at 70 MPH (there's some 75, but no 80) and many of the 2 laners at 60 MPH; plus the US-95 freeway segment isn't that long). But that was only recently changed, it used to be a max of 65 (I think it went up to 70 when the interstates went up to 80).

I don't see why states can't just set a maximum speed limit, and then apply that limit to any road based on its design, not based on the color of its shield (I mean, many states do that, eg. California or Washington, but clearly there are lots that don't, and I usually have lived in those).

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on December 07, 2018, 01:46:10 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2018, 09:46:50 PM
Here's a Street View link to the U-turn light at Van Dorn. Hopefully it won't be pointed at the sky; if it is, pan down. For some reason the Google Maps iPad app has been returning Street View links pointed at the sky.

It was pointed at the ground for me. I try to never link to GMaps from mobile devices. It always creates links that look either straight up or straight down.

Yeah, I seldom access the forum from my PC (this post is an exception), so c'est la vie.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.