News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

question on blue freeway service signs

Started by agentsteel53, June 16, 2009, 07:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

does anyone know the size of the individual service-advertisement panels on blue guide signs? 

I'm not sure what the proper name for them is, but they are blue, posted about a mile before an exit, and contain text such as "GAS - EXIT 34" and below that up to six individual rectangular (maybe 48x36 inch, or even bigger) panels that have the logos of the individual businesses. 

What size are those panels?

(I can't even find a picture example of one offhand - clearly my knowledge of what they are called is sufficiently inaccurate as to render a google search useless!)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Yup, they are 48" x 36" (if the SDDOT plans set I looked at just now is any guide).  They are called logo panels and the signs having them are called logo signs.  Most state DOTs lease the panel spaces through arm's-length companies (not sure if this is a legal requirement).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadfro

The blue guide signs are "Specific Service Signs", with the signs for individual businesses referred to as "logo panels".  Chapter 2F of the MUTCD covers the requirements and specifications of such signs.

The standards indicate that logo panels used for freeway applications must be rectangular in shape with a width longer than the height. The panel can have maximum dimensions of 60" x 36".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

very nice, thanks!

any idea on what kind of mounting holes are specified to affix the logo plate to the blue background?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 16, 2009, 09:44:23 PM
very nice, thanks!

any idea on what kind of mounting holes are specified to affix the logo plate to the blue background?

The one I have has 6 holes: 4 corners & two in the center, all close to the edge along the outer border.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.