News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

OK guys, opinions needed!

Started by ctsignguy, July 10, 2009, 08:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

whoa, holy crap.  do I need to take a trip out east?  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

i think that piccy pretty well answered the question about 3-di shields in the state shape....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Bickendan

Truvelo

What size spanner will I need :-D

Hopefully it will still be there in a couple of months. Seriously though, are old signs ever preserved? They should keep it there if it's doing no harm.
Speed limits limit life

ctsignguy

Quote from: Truvelo on July 17, 2009, 09:18:21 AM
What size spanner will I need :-D

Hopefully it will still be there in a couple of months. Seriously though, are old signs ever preserved? They should keep it there if it's doing no harm.

Are old signs preserved?  Seldom, and if they are, it is more at a local level, is all i can say....main office DOTs tend to scrap them out heedless of historical value or interest....

...and if they are due for replacing, they are replaced, without any thought about preserving them per se...just another road job (although on occasion, a local crew will save older stuff and mount it on the garage walls as decorations...)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

wytout

I like prototype A.  Even if ConnDOT won't bend to use color, that sign would like nice with the background in black, white CT shaped field, and black numerals.

I've also been toying with the idea of a new marker for years, but recently it's gotten to me again and I've been working on several alternates. The last one so far, I threw together yesterday, and it is really not all that different than what we currently have, but it incorporates a white state shaped icon, with a white "Connecticut" across the top in the black background. http://www.wyotut.com/personal/compromised.html

I don't understand why CT can't be bold and use color. Other states do.  The MUTCD does give sugestions on state route markers, but the actual standard in the MUTCD is that states shall have their own design specs if they choose to for state markers (obviously for Federal funding purposes, Interstate and US route markers must adhere to the MUTCD standards for those shields).
-Chris

Roadgeek Adam

I'd go for A or a black variant of it. I don't need to explain why. Its been done already </bad pun>
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Hellfighter

wytout

I'm thinking maybe even a variant on your prototype A.

I don't want to step on your toes, but the shape of CT is a rectangle.  To maintain the character height of the MUTCD (12" on 24" high signs, and 18" on 36" high signs) the state outline could be better placed on a MUTCD elongated shield (24X30 and 36X45 for larger ones) and used for all state highways 1-, 2-, and 3-digits.  Conn. is an archaic state abbreviation.  I understand the nostalgic and retro idea behind your signage, but maybe you could still use some elements while updating the sign a bit.

I threw together som quick graphics showing possibilities of using your idea (in fact I used your image to start with), make the CT outline field take up more room because the sign is MUTCD rectangular now, and instead of CONN. spell out CONNECTICUT on the lower right (similar to the green village signs).

Just a thought.  All signs would be either 24X30, or 36X45.
I know that South Carolina is using all elongated signs for 1 , 2, or 3 digit routes as they place their newly designed shields.
-Chris

Scott5114

Of course elongated shields cost more money, so that would make it all that harder to sell to ConnDOT.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ctsignguy

which was why i didnt do a 24x30 prototype...the 24x30 as it is, is a rare bird indeed, and Jeff indicated to me they dont like making them, but do if they dont have anything else (24x24) on hand at the moment

ConnDOT will be the last holdout in the country for FHWA 'B' fonts and engineering sheeting regardless, so we need to confine ourselves within those parameters

as far as spelling out 'Connecticut' as opposed to 'CONN', i dont think cost is a factor as much as "Lets make these things as simply as we can so we can get them out to the field'.  As, 'CONN' has always been part of the state highway marker heritage, in any new prototype, we need to make a nod to that...That i think was why the A prototype won out......black as suggested or blue, it would be fairly simple to fabricate as either silk-screen or cut vinyl....and number as needed with B, C or D fonts....

But let's also be honest...while i am sure it might flatter them in a way that we are talking about how to make the markers better/more unique/colorful/less like Mass, Rhody and Maine, the bottom line remains that as of now, this is about as far as it goes.  Maybe once the CT economy picks up, then they may revisit the issue, but as of right now, things are at a dead end.

ctsignguy

One more update....

I am planning a return trip to New England in late October....and i am having a black CONN 15 made up....since they feel blue wouldnt pass Federal muster, let's see how a black version appeals to them!   :)

wytout

THe blue kicks ass, but the black might have a shot!  I wonder though... if you do a route 15 will they get the point that this would be a good idea statewide, and not just on the nostalgic Merritt Parkway?  Maybe you should do a different number?  Just a thought.
-Chris

ctsignguy

Actually, that is a good idea....i'll ask to have the black sign made up in either of two routes that have long been decommissioned....CONN 51 or CONN 52

froggie

As I mentioned in the other thread, 24x30 isn't as rare as you might expect.  If MnDOT sign specs are any indication, those states that use a 3-digit sized shield (and there's at least a few out there) would use the 4:5 ratio...

wytout

24X30 or 4:5 aren't even that rare here in central CT, even though we don't use them... technically.  I can think of several places you can find them.

Either way, the nostalgic square is probably the most likely to have any sort of chance here in CT, this state isn't a big fan of change.
-Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.