Highways, Bridges, Ect Named After In-town Celebrities

Started by BigMattFromTexas, July 26, 2009, 09:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

What "famous" people have these been named after?
In San Angelo, Tx theres:
Highways
Houston Harte Expressway (US 67/277)
Bridges
Robert A. Junell Overpass which carries US 67/277 and is over US 87.
Yalls cities/towns?
BigMatt

Hellfighter

Rosa Parks Memorial Freeway or Edward Jeffries Freeway= I-96 in Detroit
Gerald R. Ford Freeway = I-196
John C. Lodge Freeway = M-10
Walther P. Reuther Freeway = I-696
Edsel Ford Freeway = I-94 in Detroit

Greybear

Greenville, TX:
- The Johnson/Stonewall (US Bus. 69/TX 34) overpass just south of downtown is named in honor of local war hero and movie star Audie Murphy.
- US 69 loop around Greenville = Joe Ramsey Blvd.
- FM 1570 = Jack Finney Blvd.

Little Rock, AR:
- I-630 = Wilbur Mills Fwy.

Des Moines, IA:
- I-235 = Macvicar Fwy.

Oklahoma City, OK:
- I-40 East of Ft. Smith Jct. = Tinker Diagonal

wandering drive

I-39 in Illinois:
From wiki: The portion of I-39 north of Interstate 88 is known as the Zeke Georgi Highway, while the stretch of I-39 south of I-88 is known as the Tobias "Toby" Barry Highway. Both men were legislators in the Illinois House of Representatives and were recognized as instrumental to the construction of I-39.

The two main bridges in Duluth-Superior are also named after locals, the John A. Blatnik Bridge (I-535) and the Richard I. Bong Memorial Bridge (US-2), known respectively as the "High" bridge and the "Bong" bridge.  

Scott5114

Quote from: Greybear on July 27, 2009, 12:38:26 AM
Oklahoma City, OK:
- I-40 East of Ft. Smith Jct. = Tinker Diagonal

Although the Tinker Diagonal was named because it connects Downtown with Tinker AFB, not Tinker himself. Officially, the frontage roads are signed "Tinker Diagonal", and the freeway itself now carries signage identifying it as "Freedom Freeway", which sort of sticks in my head as a remnant of the Bush administration...

Springfield, MO of course has a lot of things, including a city street, named after John Q. Hammons, the hotel tycoon and philanthropist to Missouri State University. Recently, however, the city named a street after a Springfield native who donated funds to establish an animal-rights course at rival college Drury University. Springfield now has a street named after Price is Right host Bob Barker.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Chris

CA-4 is named after John Muir, from the Sierra Club. I don't know if that's a good thing though, these clubs tend to be more anti-car than pro-nature.

J N Winkler

In Wichita, Kellogg Avenue (US 54-400 and, despite its name, now a full freeway for 10 miles) gets its name from Milo B. Kellogg, Wichita's first (civilian) postmaster (the "post office," it is said, was originally his hat).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SSOWorld

The expressways in Chicago are definitely named after locals with the exception of the Kennedy and Eisenhower expressways.

The SF-Oakland Bay Bridge's "legal name" is The James "Sunny Jim" Rolph Bridge.  Nobody refers to it as such though.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mightyace

US 79 Heading into Clarksville, TN is Wilma Ruldolph Blvd.  Named after the Olympic Track Star who was born there.

Slightly OT but related is the town of Jim Thorpe, PA.  It was renamed from Mauch Chunk after the famous athlete and, for a time, held his remains, but the only PA connection was that he was a student in Carlisle, PA.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

U.S. 29 leading north from Pensacola is designated the Don Sutton Highway after the former baseball player from Molino.

A combination of U.S. 90, 98, and Canal Street encircles central Mobile as the Henry Aaron Loop, named after the former Homerun leader. This includes Broad and Beauregard Streets and I believe Water Street along the Mobile Riverfront.

njroadhorse

The Driscoll Bridge on the GSP is named for Alfred E. Driscoll, former NJ Governor.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Michael

John Walsh Boulevard - Auburn, NY
Frederick Douglass-Susan B. Anthony Memorial Bridge - Rochester, NY
Governor Thomas E. Dewey Thruway - entire state
Colonel Eileen Collins Boulevard - Syracuse, NY (she was born in Elmira, but attended Syracuse University)

mapman

Piggybacking on Master son's post, here are some other interesting freeway names in the S.F. Bay Area:

William Byron Rumford Freeway -- CA 24 (Oakland, CA)
Sig Sanchez Highway -- US 101 (Morgan Hill, CA)
James Lick Freeway -- US 101 (San Francisco, CA)
Junipero Serra Freeway -- I-280 (Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties)
Quentin L. Kopp Freeway -- I-380 (San Bruno, CA)
MacArthur Freeway -- I-580 (Oakland, CA)
Arthur H. Breed Jr. Freeway -- I-580 (Alameda County, part)
Nimitz Freeway -- I-880 (Alameda and Santa Clara Counties)

Bryant5493

Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive - Portions of this road are in the City of Atlanta, and portions of it are in unincorporated Fulton County, Ga. The portion west of Ralph D. Abernathy Blvd. and Anderson Avenue is signed as S.R. 139. If memory serves, this road was at one time called Gordon Road.

Evander Holyfield Highway (S.R. 279) - This designation starts at the Fayette-Fulton county line, ending at S.R. 85.

Zell Miller Mountain Parkway (S.R. 515/S.R. 5) - This designation begins at the Cherokee-Pickens county line and ends at the Towns (GA)-Clay (NC) county line.

Roosevelt Highway (U.S. 29/S.R. 14) - I think that it was named in honor of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. This designation begins in Palmetto, Ga., temporarily ends in Fairburn, where the road becomes W. Broad Street. Roosevelt Highway picks back up once leaving the Fairburn city limits and entering Union City.

Raplh McGill Boulevard (NE Atlanta, Ga.) - Named for an anti-segregationist editor of the Atlanta Constitution.

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport - Originally named after William Hartsfield, a mayor of Atlanta, who helped to start Atlanta's international airport. Maynard Jackson's (Atlanta's first African-American mayor) name was added to the airport posthumously in 2003, amid outcry from Hartsfield's family.

Be well,

Bryant

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Duke87

Well, ones like "Governor John Davis Lodge Turnpike" are obvious. Though most people around here aren't even aware it's called that. Everyone just calls it "I-95" or "95". Most will, however, be familiar with "Connecticut Turnpike". Bit of trivia here: on plans for the highway's construction, it was referred to as the "Greenwich-Killingly Expressway". Obviously that name was just a placeholder (engineering projects often use placeholder names in the design phase, the final name not having been decided yet), but it's interesting to know.
And then you have the Merritt Parkway, named for Schuyler Merritt, and the Wilbur Cross Parkway (three guesses who that's named after).

On the local street side of things... part of West Main Street in Stamford is co-named "Jackie Robinson Way". Jackie Robinson lived in Stamford after he retired and died here. The road leading to the mall entrance is "Edith Sherman Drive". I have no idea who Edith Sherman is, but I do know that she was Stamford citizen of the year in 198...3? Somewhere around that time period.

A very common thing with new subdivisions is that streets take on the name of the developer. Kerr Road is on property that was owned by one, Arthur C. Kerr. And then you have the Hemingway family (no relation to Ernest), who named the street on their property after they developed it "Heming Way" (corny pun).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

UptownRoadGeek

Local Celebs.
Huey P. Long Bridge -> Huey Pierce Long
Huey P. Long Ave ->
Oretha C. Haley Blvd -> Oretha Castle Haley
Claiborne Ave -> William C. C. Claiborne
Leon C. Simon Dr - Leon C. Simon
Bonnabel Blvd -> Alfred T. Bonnabel
Behrman Hwy -> Martin Behrman
Dorgenois St -> LeBreton Dorgenois
Prier St -> Denis Prieur
Genois St  -> Charles Genois
Freret St -> William Freret
McShane Pl -> Andrew J. McShane
O'Keefe Ave -> Arthur J. O'Keefe
Earhart Expwy/Blvd -> Fred A. Earhart
Toni Morrison Interchange (I-10 @ Carrollton) -> DeLesseps Story "Toni" Morrison, Jr
Walmsley Ave -> T. Semmes Walmsley
Villere St -> Jacques Villere
Robertson Ave -> Thomas B. Robertson
Derbigny St -> Pierre Derbigny
Roman St -> Andre B. Roman

I know I just went overboard ^.

A little more than local
Bourbon St -> Philip V, The Spanish Borbon
Napolean Ave -> Napoleon Bonaparte
Jefferson Ave -> Thomas Jefferson
Jackson Ave -> Andrew Jackson
Jefferson Davis Pkwy -> Jefferson Davis
Martin Luther King Jr Blvd -> Martin Luther King Jr.
Simon Bolivar Ave -> Simon Bolivar
Orleans Ave -> Philippe, duc d'Orleans
Bienville St -> Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville
Iberville St -> Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville
Robert E. Lee Blvd -> Robert E. Lee
Desire St -> Desiree (mistress of Napoleon)
Decatur St -> Commodore Stephen Decatur

:sleep:OK I think that is enough.

roadfro

The Las Vegas, NV metropolitan area has these streets named after famous celebrities/locals, many of whom have lived/worked in Las Vegas:

*Frank Sinatra Dr (I believe this was built with the intention of naming in Sinatra's honor)
*Dean Martin Dr (formerly part of Industrial Road)
*Howard Hughes Pkwy & Hughes Center Dr (serves Howard Hughes Center business complex, which of course is/was owned by Hughes' company)
*Wayne Newton Blvd (name for some of the access roads into McCarran Airport)
*Debbie Reynolds Dr
*Roy Horn Way (Roy of "Siegfried and Roy" fame--Siegfried didn't get a street because there was already a Siegfried street elsewhere in the valley.  This is a recently renamed 215 beltway frontage road.)
*Jerry Tarkanian Way (This is a recently renamed 215 beltway frontage road.)

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but these are the (non-politician) celebrities that came to mind first.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US71

Bentonville, AR: Business US 71 is Walton Blvd (as in Sam Walton of Wal-Mart)

Little Rock has Clinton Ave named for Bill Clinton

Fort Smith has Parker St, named for Judge Issac Parker ("The Hanging Judge")

One of the service roads along I-540 in Fayetteville is Futrall Dr, named for the UA's first football coach.

Fayetteville also has Lafayette & Gregg (2 streets) named for Lafayette Gregg, who helped found the University of Arkansas. His house can be found on the SW corner of Lafayette St & Gregg Ave ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: US71 on August 01, 2009, 09:41:38 PM
Bentonville, AR: Business US 71 is Walton Blvd (as in Sam Walton of Wal-Mart)

Little Rock has Clinton Ave named for Bill Clinton

There's a Bill Clinton Drive (US 278/AR 29 bypass) in Hope, AR.

Collin Raye Drive in De Queen, AR.

Tracy Lawrence Avenue in Foreman, AR.

Garth Brooks Blvd in Yukon, OK (I thought he was from Owasso...did he live in Yukon for significant amount of time?)

Lum Ave and Abner Ave in Mena, AR.

US71

I forgot Shawntel Smith Blvd (US 64) in Muldrow, OK.

Shawntel was Miss America 1997. :sleep:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Chris

They have a Bill Clinton Boulevard in Tirana, Albania.

Albania is considered one of the most pro-American countries in Europe because of NATO engaging in the Kosovo dispute in the late 1990's.

algorerhythms

cu2010

Quote from: Chris on August 02, 2009, 05:21:34 AM
They have a Bill Clinton Boulevard in Tirana, Albania.

Staying in the "foreign cities with streets named after U.S. presidents" category, Montreal has Avenue du Président-Kennedy, named after JFK, a popular figure in the province of Quebec.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Bickendan

I-5 from Salem to Portland: Samuel Baldock Freeway. Referenced to as the Baldock Freeway on some maps, particularly the Thomas Guides, not particularly referred to as such by the locals.
I-84/US 30 from Portland to Troutdale: T.H. Banfield Expressway. Commonly called the Banfield Freeway or just as The Banfield.
I-205 across the Columbia River: Glenn L. Jackson Bridge. Not commonly referred to locally, but called the Jackson when it is.
I-5 over the Willamette: The Marquam Bridge. Haven't researched the name yet.

US 26 tunnels: Planning documents had a placeholder name of 'Glencullen Tunnel'. Referred to as 'Vista Ridge Tunnels' now.

Westbank Willamette River park: Tom McCall Waterfront Park. Governor that helped remove the Harbor Drive freeway and replace it with said park.
Eastbank Willamette River park/trail: Vera Katz Eastbank Esplanade. Former Portland Mayor that pushed to establish local accessibility to the Willamette's eastbank.

SW Front Ave: Renamed to SW Naito Parkway, after (I want to say Bill) Naito.

Non-locals:
I-405 over the Willamette: Fremont Bridge, after John Fremont.
N(E) Portland Blvd: Renamed to N(E) Rosa Parks Way
SE/NE 39th Ave: Will be renamed, against the popular wish of the community, to Cesar Chavez Ave.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.