News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signage stupidity

Started by Duke87, August 22, 2009, 10:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 17, 2009, 03:18:47 PM
Talk about too much information...

2 Guide Signs
3 California route shields (two 2-digit, one 3-digit)
6 Control Cities (3 on each sign)

They could easily remove Los Angeles and either Yosemite or Sonora from those signs to clear up the legend.  Also, they're using a fairly wide gantry, so I don't see why they couldn't have used slightly wider signs so that everything wasn't so cramped.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

myosh_tino

Through the magic of Photoshop...

I think the reason for the extra wide sign bridge is because CA-120 used to be a "Super-2" (2-lane limited access road) that ran in the current eastbound lanes.  The current left shoulder was probably the old westbound lane.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Duke87

Yeah, I get what it's supposed to mean, but taken literally it sounds like town parks are dangerous and motorists should watch out for them. :spin:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SidS1045

Quote from: Duke87Stating the obvious:

In that situation, perhaps.  However, years ago in south Brooklyn NY (this may still be true), traffic signals were only placed on some streets every five blocks.  At the corners with no traffic signals, signs said STOP HERE ON RED SIGNAL, meaning: Look down the street to the closest traffic signal and stop if it's red.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Scott5114

One of the stupidest things I've seen was when we were leaving Washington, D.C. I wanted to clinch DC-295 on the way out. So there's this sign on unsigned I-695:

Take a good look at that, because that's the last mention of DC-295. None of the signs in the remaining mile between this gantry and the exit say a damn thing about DC-295. We therefore ended up getting to see the best of Anacostia. It was at that point we decided to give up on DC-295 and hightail it back to the Beltway on 395.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2009, 07:22:04 PM
One of the stupidest things I've seen was when we were leaving Washington, D.C. I wanted to clinch DC-295 on the way out. So there's this sign on unsigned I-695.  Take a good look at that, because that's the last mention of DC-295. None of the signs in the remaining mile between this gantry and the exit say a damn thing about DC-295. We therefore ended up getting to see the best of Anacostia. It was at that point we decided to give up on DC-295 and hightail it back to the Beltway on 395.
If you just take the exit (basically a forced exit from a stub), you turn right, cross the bridge, and the entrance to DC 295 (which IS signed with a shield) is on the left.  Now, it's entirely possible there's only one sign for DC 295 and it's right there at the exit, so if you're not prepared you could pass it by.

Scott5114

Quote from: AlpsROADS on September 20, 2009, 08:17:38 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2009, 07:22:04 PM
One of the stupidest things I've seen was when we were leaving Washington, D.C. I wanted to clinch DC-295 on the way out. So there's this sign on unsigned I-695.  Take a good look at that, because that's the last mention of DC-295. None of the signs in the remaining mile between this gantry and the exit say a damn thing about DC-295. We therefore ended up getting to see the best of Anacostia. It was at that point we decided to give up on DC-295 and hightail it back to the Beltway on 395.
If you just take the exit (basically a forced exit from a stub), you turn right, cross the bridge, and the entrance to DC 295 (which IS signed with a shield) is on the left.  Now, it's entirely possible there's only one sign for DC 295 and it's right there at the exit, so if you're not prepared you could pass it by.

Right, well, my mom was driving, and she was looking for DC 295. We see it here, I snap the picture, and then all the signs from there on out just say "Pennsylvania Avenue". She didn't want to take the exit if it didn't have the DC 295 sign there.

Doesn't the MUTCD say somewhere that the legend has to be the same on all advance and exit direction signage?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2009, 05:30:22 PM
Doesn't the MUTCD say somewhere that the legend has to be the same on all advance and exit direction signage?

I believe it's in a guidance or support statement, and not a required standard.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

froggie

A couple notes:

- That exit to the left ("TO DC 295 NORTH") has only one direction to go when you get to Pennsylvania Ave...outbound on the Sousa Bridge.  And there are trailblazers to DC 295 NORTH along outbound Pennsylvania Ave, as Steve alluded to.

- Unless you'd gotten it previously, using that route to "clinch DC 295" would've been a moot point or required a U-turn elsewhere, because of missing connections between DC 295 and I-295, as well as missing connections between DC 295 and Pennsylvania Ave.  To clinched the DC 295 part between PA Ave and I-295, you'd have to come up from the south along I-295 (or enter from Howard Rd/Firth Stirling Ave), come from the north along DC 295, or enter coming along PA Ave from the east.

r-dub

Along the lines of gantry overkill, check out this doozie outside of Colorado Springs:

Worse, during recent construction, there was a portable VMS on the left side of the road warning of impending doom. Why the main VMS wasn't used is anyone's guess.

And, wanna go swimming?

Ryan "r-dub"
Roadgeekin' Colorado Style

mapman

The font on that overhead sign is too small!  I thought the MUTCD had a minimum font size for signs!   :pan:

And no, I don't want to go swimming there.   :no:

florida

:-D A clothed pedestrian sign! Poor things walk everywhere (and sit in wheelchairs) nude, but have to wear clothes to be swept away in a flood.
So many roads...so little time.

akotchi

Quote from: roadfro on September 21, 2009, 10:41:36 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2009, 05:30:22 PM

I believe it's in a guidance or support statement, and not a required standard.

It is, in fact, a SHALL condition.  Section 2E.27 of the 2003 edition states "Consistent destination messages shall be displayed on these signs," referring to Advance Guide and Exit Direction signs.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

mapman

QuoteA clothed pedestrian sign! Poor things walk everywhere (and sit in wheelchairs) nude, but have to wear clothes to be swept away in a flood.

Well, at least its daughter is allowed to wear a dress when walking to school!  And its wife can wear clothes when guarding the bathroom!

Michael

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.