News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Map organization

Started by Scott5114, September 15, 2009, 02:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

How do you organize your map collection?

I have a big Rubbermaid clear plastic box that all of mine go in. But it's rather unwieldy and hard to find things in so I was wondering if anyone else out there can point me to a better solution.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

froggie

I have more maps than I have storage space for.

Most of them...the state official maps (which by far is the majority of my collection) are organized by state and then organized into a few "shoe cubicle" things I picked up.

Alex

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 15, 2009, 02:04:47 AM
How do you organize your map collection?

I have a big Rubbermaid clear plastic box that all of mine go in. But it's rather unwieldy and hard to find things in so I was wondering if anyone else out there can point me to a better solution.

I lost most of my map collection a couple of years ago, so I had to start all over again and was using plastic storage bins for a couple of years. Unfortunately the bins were not designed for maps, so ones of abnormal height were bent when I closed the lids. So last year I purchased new shallow rectangular bins and now have my maps stacked in there with them lying face up.

I generally have them separated by region. My southeastern map collection is my largest (it did not get lost with the original collection), so it gets its own bin. I have Midwest and Western maps in another bin, and Northeastern and current maps in a third bin.

Additionally I have a large number of road atlases, and they have a shelve dedicated to them, but are not in chronological order these days.

Anyone who is interested in regional and U.S. maps, I have a number of those I am willing to give away. They are stored in my Midwest/West bin.

mightyace

My collection of maps is mostly in and some on top of a collection of Banker's boxes and the contents are not organized in any way.

My Atlases are stored in a bookcase when not in use. (like AARoads not in chronological order)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

My maps have finally graduated from drawer to bookshelf.  I have four neat piles (Foreign, US General-F, US G-N, US O-W) of the most current state/province/country maps I have.  Then I have two piles of older maps organized the same way.  Maps for trade/taking are in a large paper bag and awaiting homes at upcoming meets.

Michael

My maps are stored on the servers of Google, Bing, Wikipedia, and TerraServer.  :sombrero:

BigMattFromTexas

I have a big black container with dividers that are alphabetically divided, then i also have a list of all my maps so if any go missing i'll know which one it is.

Scott5114

Quote from: BigMatt on September 16, 2009, 10:09:12 PM
I have a big black container with dividers that are alphabetically divided, then i also have a list of all my maps so if any go missing i'll know which one it is.

Sounds feasible! Can you get a photo of it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

BigMattFromTexas

^that sounds doable!
BigMatt

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.