News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Projects being scrapped or delayed b/c of economy

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 19, 2009, 05:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Have any projects been scrapped, delayed, put on hold in your area b/c of the economy?

In my home state of CT...

Work on the US 7 & CT 15 Merritt Pkwy interchange in Norwalk has been halted due ot lack of funds.  The interchange work started in 2005 but was halted by NIMBYism and conservationalists.  The project was supposed to make the interchange a full interchange.

The DOT held several meetings where all settled upon a new design that everyone liked.  Then, this past month the state can't move forward with engineering and environmental design because of lack of funds.

The DOT couldn't see this coming!?!?!?!

Also, work on the new Route 11 Expressway in SE CT has been halted as well as the DOT refocuses it's priorities.
The FHWA took the unusual step of releasing 4.4 Million in funds so engineering work could start BEFORE it released a ROD on the FEIS.  The state matched it with another 1 Million.  Now it is all stopped.

Town officials are mad and so is Congressman Courtney, who all favor the project.

And....a new poll conducted by Senator Duff (D -Norwalk) & UCONN has found out that most people favor a US 7 expressway from Norwalk to Danbury...but the politicians and the NIMBYs in rich towns where the expressway would go don't want it.  Even though most commuters and residents favor the expressway.  Now they want to turn the land the state already owns for the expressway into a walking trail or even worse...sell it!

Unbelievable!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Duke87

You'd think this would be the perfect sort of thing to use stimulus money for.

Instead of, you know, paying for the Darien Police Department to repaint their rec room. :pan:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

Merged the topic in Northeast with this one.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Terry Shea

74/171FAN

Almost every project not given stimulus money in VA including the I-95/I-395 HOT lanes  and I-64 widening
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mightyace

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 20, 2009, 12:37:11 PM
Almost every project not given stimulus money in VA including the I-95/I-395 HOT lanes  and I-64 widening

I think something similar is going on here in TN though not quite as bad.  It either has to have stimulus money like the completion of the I-40/Briley Pkwy interchange in west Nashville or be "grandfathered" or already in progress like TN 840.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

jdb1234

The interchange between I-65 and I-22 has been delayed due to lack of funding.

Roadgeek Adam

U.S. Route 219 in New York, nuff said
----------------------------------------

A lot of NJ projects have been cancelled and shelved: (mostly by NIMBYs, but economy)

NJ 69 Freeway
NJ 74 Freeway
NJ 75 Freeway

etc
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Chris

Quote from: jdb1234 on September 21, 2009, 08:48:24 AM
The interchange between I-65 and I-22 has been delayed due to lack of funding.

Eww that sucks. Does that mean traffic has to go through Birmingham a few years longer?

cbalducc

froggie

QuoteAlmost every project not given stimulus money in VA including the I-95/I-395 HOT lanes  and I-64 widening

Not quite.  The I-64 widening never had funding for construction to begin with...while the 95/395 HOT lane project delay has just as much to do with project opposition (led by the lawsuit brought by Arlington County) as it does with project financing...

Mr_Northside

QuoteU.S. Route 219 in New York, nuff said

Upgrading the rest of US 219 in Somerset County, PA, to I-68 always seems to be teetering precariously to being scrapped. But that's how it's been for ages, though I'm sure the current economic status doesn't help.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

mightyace

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 22, 2009, 09:53:37 AM
QuoteU.S. Route 219 in New York, nuff said

Upgrading the rest of US 219 in Somerset County, PA, to I-68 always seems to be teetering precariously to being scrapped. But that's how it's been for ages, though I'm sure the current economic status doesn't help.

You mean it hasn't been proposed as another turnpike segment?  :pan:

PAHighways

mightyace

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.