News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Scenic Route

Started by Voyager, January 19, 2009, 10:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on February 14, 2009, 02:13:47 PM
Quote from: voyager on February 01, 2009, 03:40:16 PM
Quote from: Chris on February 01, 2009, 03:38:37 PM
Talimena Drive in Oklahoma looks pretty exciting.

Wow that is beautiful. Oklahoma?

About 1/3 is in AR, the rest in OK.  I literally grew up at the end of the drive and have driven it many times.  It's a lot of fun in the right car, but if you aren't familiar with the road be careful or you'll end up running off the side of the mountain.  An underrated scenic drive in the area is US 259 from its northern end to Broken Bow.

I like the Talimena Drive too. Apparently ODOT feels the same way, as they intentionally assigned it the SH-1 designation due to the scenery. (Upon crossing into Arkansas it becomes AR-88.) At the beginning and end of the drive, big red and white signs warn you that if you attempt to use it in the wintertime you will most certainly die in the gruesome manner.

If you're in a hurry, I-540 (someday to be part of I-49) between Fort Smith and Fayetteville is plenty scenic without all those annoying curves and hills. Plus you get to go through the Bobby Hopper Tunnel, which is cool.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2009, 01:08:57 AM

I like the Talimena Drive too. Apparently ODOT feels the same way, as they intentionally assigned it the SH-1 designation due to the scenery. (Upon crossing into Arkansas it becomes AR-88.)

OK 1 east of US 271 was marked OK 88 on maps right after the drive was completed.  It was soon converted to OK 1.  Was it ever signed as OK 88 in the field?
At the beginning and end of the drive, big red and white signs warn you that if you attempt to use it in the wintertime you will most certainly die in the gruesome manner.
Here are the warning signs near the beginning of the drive on the Arkansas side:

If you're in a hurry, I-540 (someday to be part of I-49) between Fort Smith and Fayetteville is plenty scenic without all those annoying curves and hills. Plus you get to go through the Bobby Hopper Tunnel, which is cool.

Yes it is a very nice drive.  And the way it's constructed, it's way too easy (and fun) to drive well above the speed limit.  Long downhill stretches make cruise control a must on this highway.

Other scenic routes in the Arkansas Ozarks are US 71 (parallels I-540), AR 7, AR 16, AR 23, AR 21, AR 5, US 62, US 412  and the incredibly underrated AR 123.

Ian

Quote from: Freewayjim on February 01, 2009, 01:40:11 AM
This is pretty scenic, I just remixed this video for those who may have seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC6v80530tc

Thats the speed my dad drives on that road   :wow: !!!!!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Voyager

US 101 in Marin County has got to be the winner here.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Road Warrior

Never been on this stretch of Interstate 26 North of Asheville, but it looks like it would be nice drive, especially in the fall

DrZoidberg

QuoteUS 101 in Marin County has got to be the winner here.

You got a great point with that one, though I'd now add CA-1 at Big Sur to the mix.

I'm going to Hawaii in June, and think I'm going to try and take some pictures of HI-19/HI-11, which encompasses the entire island.  Very scenic, not to mention diverse!
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

Alex

Quote from: Road Warrior on February 23, 2009, 08:37:44 PM
Never been on this stretch of Interstate 26 North of Asheville, but it looks like it would be nice drive, especially in the fall

You are missing out on what is probably the best part of Interstate 26. Smooth roadway with sweeping mountain vistas. Looks good even when inclement outside.

yanksfan6129

I personally like the Northway beginning with the Kuzciusko (I don't know how to spell it) Bridge, and going north. Great vistas.

larryao

my fav is US 101 northern calif. wish i had time to go though OR & WA.
Larry :sombrero:

Chris

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on February 25, 2009, 10:24:33 PM
the Kuzciusko (I don't know how to spell it)

Kosciuszko, it's a Polish name. It's pronounced differently than most locals do. Polish is a very hard language to pronounce correctly for non-speakers, try to pronounce Szczecin, SzczebrzeszyƄski or Bydgoszcz for instance.

Dougtone

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on February 25, 2009, 10:24:33 PM
I personally like the Northway beginning with the Kuzciusko (I don't know how to spell it) Bridge, and going north. Great vistas.

Just make it easier on yourself and call it the Twin Bridges like all the locals do.  When I lived in Albany, I was a frequent traveler on the Northway.

CMHroads

I really enjoy I-64 in WV and VA.  Very scenic.  And I-44 West of St. Louis is also very nice and rolling.  Not pictures though.  Sorry.

ComputerGuy

Dr Zoidburg: Try driving that road in Test Drive Unlimited...even more scenic!

Voyager

Anyone else agree that CA 24 is a very scenic highway between Oakland and Walnut Creek?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

California 24 does offer quite a contrast between the two. Even more of a contrast is the temperature difference during the warmer months west of the Caldicott Tunnel and east of it.

tmthyvs

My choices (in no particular order)

I-5 in northern CA near Mt. Shasta
US-550 between Ouray and Silverton, CO (beats I-70 or US-50 hands down for scenery).
TCH-16 between Hinton, AB and Mt. Robson, BC
BC-37A

Hellfighter

H-3 has to be the winner. It looks so beautiful, regardless of the time of year.  :biggrin:

hm insulators

Just last week, I took a trip to Flagstaff (from my home in Phoenix) and I used Arizona 89A between Flagstaff and Prescott, through Sedona, Cottonwood and Jerome.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2009, 01:08:57 AM
I like the Talimena Drive too. Apparently ODOT feels the same way, as they intentionally assigned it the SH-1 designation due to the scenery. (Upon crossing into Arkansas it becomes AR-88.) At the beginning and end of the drive, big red and white signs warn you that if you attempt to use it in the wintertime you will most certainly die in the gruesome manner.

I've been on the mountain several times where the highway department had salted AR 272 from the US 270 junction and its end at AR 88, and AR 88 between AR 272 and Queen Wilhelmina State Park.  272 and that segment of 88 were clear, but 88 was covered with a thick sheet of ice from the 272 junction east. 

Rich Mountain often gets wintry precipitation when none falls in the valleys below.  Many times I've seen snow on top of the mountain, when Mena itself was completely snow-free.  Mena's elevation is around 1100 feet above sea level, while the top of Rich Mountain is over 2600 feet.

RoadWarrior56

A couple of scenic roadways I have been on, not mentioned previously:

US 259 in southeastern Oklahoma, especially in the Broken Bow area.

I-64 in South-Central Indiana.

Alaska SR 1 between Anchorage and Seward.

Alps

ME 9 is a very nice ride east of Bangor out to Calais.  Surprisingly not on the scenic routes marked on the Maine state map, although ME 11 at the top of the state is.  US 1 is also scenic north of Calais to Houlton - I wouldn't recommend it south of Calais along the coast though.  Fort Kent at sunset is a view I won't forget for a long time.

njroadhorse

Lake Mead Drive is a very nice ride along the western shore of the lake.  It's really hard to believe that a half hour away is the sprawl and lights of the Vegas strip and its surroundings.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

bugo

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on May 28, 2009, 08:57:23 PM
A couple of scenic roadways I have been on, not mentioned previously:

US 259 in southeastern Oklahoma, especially in the Broken Bow area.

US 259 between Broken Bow and Page is one of the most underrated scenic routes in the country.

My favorite part is the part over Kiamichi Mountain, roughly from Big Cedar to Octavia.

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.