News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haljackey

Went to Toronto for a day trip yesterday from London. It was a crappy day but I got some pictures. I thought I may as well share them here with you.

Hilly section

Construction between Woodstock and Kitchener, widening the highway from 4 to 6 lanes:

Pedestrian overpass in Kitchener. Further downhill is the bridge over the Grand River which is visible in this photo.

On Highway 427 now heading to the Gardiner Expressway.

Looking at the CN Tower as we exit the Gardiner onto Spadina Avenue.

rickmastfan67

haljackey, can you please compress your photos some before posting them here in a thread?

4MB+ is still a killer even with people having broadband when you have to try to load 9 different ones at the same time.

Also, it makes some browsers stutter really badly when you have use javascript to resize 3000x2000 or bigger pictures.

Bigger isn't always better.  So, please consider resizing your pictures manually to the 800 width limit before you upload so you can attach them to a forum.  People around the world will appreciate it.

Remember, you can always add a link to the higher-res version below the smaller version.

haljackey

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 10, 2010, 07:12:29 PM
haljackey, can you please compress your photos some before posting them here in a thread?

Gah! I thought the site automatically compressed the images to 800px. Guess it simply squeezes the images to 800 but keeps the original filesize.

Thanks for catching that. I did some work with the post above, cropping and resizing the photos.

agentsteel53

Quote from: haljackey on May 10, 2010, 07:50:21 PM
Gah! I thought the site automatically compressed the images to 800px.

no, alas.  it would be cool if there was some kind of protocol that asked the server to do that, but when you do "width=X" (or its HTML equivalent in the img tag) it does the resize on the browser side.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 10, 2010, 08:14:13 PMno, alas.  it would be cool if there was some kind of protocol that asked the server to do that, but when you do "width=X" (or its HTML equivalent in the img tag) it does the resize on the browser side.

I have blocked at least one person's avatar for this reason--the board itself has fairly strict size requirements for local avatars, but they don't apply to avatars hosted elsewhere and I want easy page loads.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

xcellntbuy

I have not been to Toronto or traveled the Gardiner Expressway since 1983.  I see from the downtown photos that the old flat yellow streetlights have been replaced.

haljackey

Quote from: xcellntbuy on May 12, 2010, 10:38:37 AM
I have not been to Toronto or traveled the Gardiner Expressway since 1983.  I see from the downtown photos that the old flat yellow streetlights have been replaced.

Maybe not, but the scenery has sure changed. All kinds of new condominium towers have been built very close to the elevated highway.

It may not look like it in that shot, but the Gardiner isn't in the best shape. The thing looks like crap from the surface. There's been talk of demolishing it because maintaining it is getting expensive and it's an eyesore, cutting off the waterfront from downtown (sort of like wrong side of the tracks). If it is demolished, it would be replaced with a 8 or 10 lane landscaped boulevard with pedestrian overpasses.

I think the best alternative is to move it underground. Yes, I know Boston's Big Dig went way overbudget, but we can learn from those mistakes. In addition, only the elevated section would need to be tunneled which is not nearly as the one in Boston.

There have been all sorts of other suggestions, such as adding another "green" deck above the expressway with bike paths, tennis courts and whatnot. An even more extreme vision is to build a viaduct which would add to the Toronto skyline but would be very pricey.

Examples:

Truvelo

I think in all probability the two most likely options are to replace it with a surface boulevard or just leave it as it is. A tunnel is too expensive, especially in the current shaky economic conditions. A jungle on top of the existing deck will also be expensive and won't provide any additional capacity so value for money is poor.
Speed limits limit life

iwishiwascanadian

If Toronto can't get Transit City fully funded, how could rebuilding/demolishing/replacing the Gardiner occur?

haljackey

Here's something new:

Ontario now uses florescent orange lane markings in construction zones along the 400-series and other major highways. I believe the first major use of this was last year. It has received a ton of positive feedback from motorists and construction workers alike, because it makes drivers more aware that they are in a construction zone, making it safer.

Ontario is the first place in North America to use this. It is used all over Europe, however some countries use yellow markings instead.

xcellntbuy

Excellent idea. :clap:

The use of fluorescent orange markings on south Florida's highways would be a VERY welcome change, especially as we have entered wet season.  It can be mighty difficult to see dotted lines driving in our notoriously heavy rainstorms.

Let's hope this type of positive sight-enhancement will work its way into the USA.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: xcellntbuy on May 31, 2010, 11:44:13 AM
Excellent idea. :clap:

The use of fluorescent orange markings on south Florida's highways would be a VERY welcome change, especially as we have entered wet season.  It can be mighty difficult to see dotted lines driving in our notoriously heavy rainstorms.

Let's hope this type of positive sight-enhancement will work its way into the USA.

If it does, I would only think it would show up for construction zones.  Just like you see in the picture at the King's Highway 427/QEW interchange.

haljackey

Here's an interesting chart I found comparing various interchange types for the Highway 407 extension.

There's good news and bad news about the 407 extension. The good news is that it will be 100% controlled by the province (unlike the rest of the toll highway) and that the EA for the extension has been approved. The bad news is that only about half of the proposed extension is going to get built. Perhaps in the future the final part of the highway will be built linking it to Highways 35 and 115 east of Oshawa on the eastern fringe of the Greater Toronto Area.

haljackey

Traveled to the Falls for Canada Day, took some pics on the way.

Looking at Highway 401 westbound from Highbury Avenue in London.

Heading onto Highway 401 eastbound from Highbury Avenue

The famous "hilly" segments of the 401 between London and Ingersoll

On Highway 403 now near the Grand River.

Looking at the Niagara bound Queen Elizabeth Way from the Red Hill Valley Parkway interchange in Hamilton.

Highway 420's expressway portion in Niagara Falls.
-This is a rare exception for the 400-Series highways. Nearly all segments are freeways.

Highway 420's terminus at Falls Avenue, near the Rainbow Bridge crossing to the USA.

Anyways hope you enjoyed the pics! It's always a fun time in Niagara Falls on Canada Day!  :nod:

rickmastfan67

Quote from: haljackey on July 02, 2010, 10:29:36 PM
Highway 420's expressway portion in Niagara Falls.
-This is a rare exception for the 400-Series highways. Nearly all segments are freeways.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4754666503_d0a87be785_b.jpg

Highway 420's terminus at Falls Avenue, near the Rainbow Bridge crossing to the USA.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4755309200_c691deff74_b.jpg

I assume you didn't notice that Niagara Region 420 shield @ the intersection of {420} and \102/ (Stanley Ave) or the {420} ENDS BGS on the Portage Rd overpass?  King's Highway 420 now officially ends at that intersection.  There is no longer a connecting link connecting it to the Rainbow Bridge.  It's been like this for a few years now.

haljackey

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 03, 2010, 06:51:17 AM
I assume you didn't notice that Niagara Region 420 shield @ the intersection of {420} and \102/ (Stanley Ave) or the {420} ENDS BGS on the Portage Rd overpass?  King's Highway 420 now officially ends at that intersection.  There is no longer a connecting link connecting it to the Rainbow Bridge.  It's been like this for a few years now.

I looked into it. Turns out Highway 420 turns into Regional Road 420 past Stanley Ave.

Also, a lot of the 420 shields are stolen because of 420 (April 20th), lol!

mgk920

Quote from: haljackey on July 03, 2010, 07:54:59 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 03, 2010, 06:51:17 AM

I looked into it. Turns out Highway 420 turns into Regional Road 420 past Stanley Ave.

Also, a lot of the 420 shields are stolen because of 420 (April 20th), lol!

Actually, '420' is lingo in some USA police agencies for pot possession.

:meh:

:spin:

Mike

rickmastfan67

Oh, and once again Hal, I just noticed this, but try to use images in the forum that are resized to 800 width on your end instead of trying to use the browser to resize them via JavaScript. ;)  Just look at the top of this page. ;)  If there is a 800 width already version on your Flicker page, use that instead of the 1024 version's link which the browser has to resize and makes it stutter going over the pictures.  Just a friendly reminder on that. ;)

haljackey

I'll have to remember that. I keep seeming to think the site resizes them, but it simply compresses the images to 800 pixels wide.

Here's a video I made showing some of the highways in London, Ontario: the Highbury Extenstion, Highway 401 and Highway 402.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFXvbx8bnTE

Hope you enjoy it!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on July 04, 2010, 12:07:52 AM
Actually, '420' is lingo in some USA police agencies for pot possession.

:meh:

Nope, 420 has nothing to do with cops.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_%28cannabis_culture%29
It's one of the most pervasive urban myths in our culture.
http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.asp

That's right a group of high school stoners got the whole world to snicker over what amounts to a random number.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

haljackey

Some new photos of Highway 401 I took on a trip from London to Windsor.

6 lanes and a concrete surface. To my knowledge, this is the only part of Highway 401 that is concrete. I hate concrete as it is bumpy, but the drive was exceptionally smooth compared to the US Interstates.

The 401 is being reconstructed in Windsor in preparation for the Windsor-Essex Parkway.

One of the new ONroute service centres on the 400-Series. This one is near Tilbury.

...And that's it for now. Most of the drive between Windsor and London is pretty boring, and drivers seem to lose focus here and there. Thus, accidents happen here regularly.

The Premier

Is it standard in Ontario not to have exit tabs on new signs, especially when it's an exit only like this:
Quote from: haljackey on August 06, 2010, 10:59:45 AM

Alex P. Dent

Bickendan

Quote from: haljackey on August 06, 2010, 10:59:45 AM

According to this sign, if you speak English, you'll take the bridge to the US. If you speak French, you'll end up in the European Union! :pan:

(E.U. = Etats Unis in French)

cu2010

Quote from: The Premier on August 06, 2010, 03:18:03 PM
Is it standard in Ontario not to have exit tabs on new signs, especially when it's an exit only like this:

Ontario typically only puts the exit tab on the advance guide signage; the signs at the actual exit typically do not have tabs.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: cu2010 on August 06, 2010, 07:29:39 PM
Quote from: The Premier on August 06, 2010, 03:18:03 PM

Ontario typically only puts the exit tab on the advance guide signage; the signs at the actual exit typically do not have tabs.

That's kinda stupid if you ask me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.