News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-59 Alabama Signs

Started by seicer, August 20, 2019, 01:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

What is this sign made out of?

https://goo.gl/maps/A3fExnt7tYpbGmms8

I've not seen this in the wild before. If you go forward a few paces and reverse the direction, you'll see the back of the guide sign and the EXIT ONLY appendage that was added later.

formulanone

I think we call them "slatted guide signs" on these boards, but I'm not sure if they have a more formal or technical name. I think the slats are just aluminum, but I've not been close enough to actually touch one of them, since few of them are mounted closer to the ground.

They're scattered around Alabama; a bunch of them are still standing in Mobile and a few in Huntsville, but I'm not sure how many in Birmingham are going to hang around after current construction ends.

Here's the back of one in Huntsville with EXIT ONLY embedded in the slats, on US 72 and AL 255:

hbelkins

I've also seen them in Delaware.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.