ODOT: ‘Strong opposition’ from public on I-205 tolling

Started by bing101, December 05, 2020, 09:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bickendan on April 13, 2023, 12:48:37 PM
205 really only needs aux lanes between Johnson Creek and Foster, and Foster and Powell, outside of the widening from Stafford to McGloughlin.
I-5 needs an underground relocation from the Ross Island Maze to the Fremont Stack.
The Stadium needs weaving management but good luck with that.
So you think traffic issues on the 205 would be "fixed"  or alleviated with auxiliary lanes and that's it? You wouldn't even think a third GP lane is needed each way? And what about I-5? You don't like my 14 lane proposal. Most of that would be subterranean with tolls. How many lanes should I-5 through downtown have?

Bickendan

205 is already six-laned for the majority of it.
Where it isn't -- Stafford to McGloughlin, and north of WA 500 -- it's getting widened to that or doesn't need it. I drive the 205 every day. The pain points are where ODOT dropped the ball on the aux lane expansion a few years back, and the Jackson Bridge approaches.

As for the Eastbank, as I mentioned, relocated underground ala Alaskan Viaduct. 3x3 at most save aux lanes.

More lanes isn't going to gain functionality. Better lane discipline and driving habits will.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bickendan on April 13, 2023, 02:26:35 PM
205 is already six-laned for the majority of it.
Where it isn't -- Stafford to McGloughlin, and north of WA 500 -- it's getting widened to that or doesn't need it. I drive the 205 every day. The pain points are where ODOT dropped the ball on the aux lane expansion a few years back, and the Jackson Bridge approaches.

As for the Eastbank, as I mentioned, relocated underground ala Alaskan Viaduct. 3x3 at most save aux lanes.

More lanes isn't going to gain functionality. Better lane discipline and driving habits will.
More lanes arbitrarily won't gain functionality, but they need to be part of the solution. I hear what you're saying on the better lane discipline and driving habits but good luck fixing that. You probably have a better chance of getting a western bypass built.

So you'd use the 405 for local access then? What would become of existing I-5? A surface Boulevard? I suppose I can see that working. And regarding the tunnel, would you have any portals for local access? Or would it be strictly for through traffic?

Bruce

Bruce

Bruce

ODOT will not toll the Tualatin River Bridge and will also not add a third lane in the area. Tolls and construction the Abernethy are underway.

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/2023/09/odot-nixes-plans-for-third-lane-some-tolling-on-i-205.html

Bickendan

The Tualatin bridge should never have been considered for a separate toll given its proximity to the Abernethy Bridge.
And adding a third lane to the area was one of the primary goals of the overall project.

Plutonic Panda

Oregon seems pretty much hopeless at this point. This type of shit doesn't surprise me. They could find the money but the political will isn't there. I suspect ODOT knows this and just doesn't want to waste their breath. Let the people suffer since they either want to be opposed to expansion or those on the pro expansion side aren't making their voices heard enough. Enjoy your horrid traffic congestion and your shitty metro system.

CovalenceSTU

Gov. Kotek calls for the Regional Mobility Pricing Plan to be scrapped: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/kotek-scraps-portland-area-freeway-tolls/283-a9c0ef19-9673-464c-9beb-aac7c9869840

Note that this wouldn't affect tolling for the Abernethy and Interstate bridge replacements (starting 2026) but means no further tolls on either freeway.

doorknob60

Good news, but when I read the headline yesterday, my brain was assuming it would also scrap the Abernethy Bridge toll. Shame it's not, I think it's a bad idea there. I think you'll get a lot of Shunpiking on local roads and the OR-43 bridge which could be a total mess. Also may deflect some thru traffic (say, Hood River to Salem) onto I-5 through downtown instead, which is maybe not what you want.

However, I am fine with tolls on the interstate bridge replacement. For a project that big, it's kind of necessary. Tolls are par for the course for major bridges like this, especially in urban areas (see Bay Area, NY/NJ, etc.), though I hope tolls don't get anywhere near that high. Plus with rail being added, there will be another way for some to avoid the toll (and I-205 over the Columbia will probably remain free, I think?).

Plutonic Panda

Great news. I wish the I-5 wouldn't be tolled as well but I can live with that. Hopefully the other expansions are still moving forward.

Bruce

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 12, 2024, 06:00:06 PM
the I-5

That's a $$$ fine in the Northwest.

The Interstate Bridge Replacement program absolutely needs to be tolled, since both states just don't have enough to spare in their budgets. Washington has some massive unfunded obligations, Oregon just doesn't have the same kind of revenue.

Rothman

If it's not tolled now, why are tolls necessary on the replacement?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: Bruce on March 12, 2024, 08:15:13 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 12, 2024, 06:00:06 PM
the I-5

That's a $$$ fine in the Northwest.

The Interstate Bridge Replacement program absolutely needs to be tolled, since both states just don't have enough to spare in their budgets. Washington has some massive unfunded obligations, Oregon just doesn't have the same kind of revenue.
You think NY had a spare $2B to spend in Syracuse?  Get that federal dough...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

With the tolling plan outside of the Interstate Bridge Replacement under a moratorium, maybe Oregon will expand that mile-based fee pilot program to cover road expenses statewide.

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on March 12, 2024, 10:29:00 PM

Because Uncle Sugar isn't picking up 90% of the tab anymore.

J N Winkler

Think of it this way:  $6 billion for the replacement bridge is a bit much to swallow for a state that got just $669 million in fuel tax revenues last year.  (And $6 billion is just the approximate midpoint of the current projected cost of $5 billion-$7.5 billion.  Some observers sniff a $9 billion estimate in the offing.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

stevashe

Well, it was tolled when they built it originally, they just actually removed the tolls after the construction bonds were paid off.   ;-)

Amaury

I don't really have a problem paying tolls. I don't really go through tolled areas that often, but I think the highest I've paid was $2.50 two separate times for the Hood River Bridge and once for the Bridge of the Gods, which isn't expensive at all. I also paid a toll for going over the Governor Albert D. Rosellini Bridge / Evergreen Point Floating Bridge on WA 520. I don't remember how much that one was, but it wasn't much, and that one was billed to me in the mail since there's no tolling station.

There is a tolling station on eastbound WA 16 after the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, but that one may be optional? I'm not totally sure. They don't force you to get off the freeway, as it's just like a normal exit. The freeway also isn't built in a way that forces you to slow down and go through the tolling station with no other way to go, like California does on southbound Interstate 5 with its weird agriculture thing. The one and only time I went eastbound that way over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in 2021, there wasn't anything saying traffic is required to exit, so I just kept driving. I didn't get anything in the mail, either.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Bruce

The eastbound Narrows Bridge is the only physical tollbooth on a non-ferry highway in the state. Good to Go is all electronic and either reads the tag or plate. SR 520 has a variable rate that is about to increase due to project cost increases.

We generally don't put tolls on existing bridges until after the plan for a replacement is settled and moving forward. The old SR 520 Bridge was tolled from 2011 to 2016 to help jumpstart project financing, but only after the design alternative was chosen.

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on March 13, 2024, 03:15:04 PM

That is not true.  Although specific Interstate funds, like Interstate Maintenance, have been discontinued, NHPP funding can be used on Interstates at 90%.

Rothman

Quote from: stevashe on March 13, 2024, 05:15:13 PM

Well, it was tolled when they built it originally, they just actually removed the tolls after the construction bonds were paid off.   ;-)
I like this answer rather than others that reflect a misunderstanding of transportation financing.

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on March 13, 2024, 07:17:26 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 13, 2024, 03:15:04 PM

That is not true.  Although specific Interstate funds, like Interstate Maintenance, have been discontinued, NHPP funding can be used on Interstates at 90%.

Really?  For a large replacement bridge like this Oregon and Washington can expect 90% Federal funding?

Or just hope for a part of that, if their congressional delegations can cut a deal?

J N Winkler

Quote from: kkt on March 13, 2024, 08:01:28 PMReally?  For a large replacement bridge like this Oregon and Washington can expect 90% Federal funding?

The problem, as I understand it, is that federal match can be used up to a cost share of 90%, but the bridge replacement is so expensive it would suck up a large share of the federal funding that could otherwise be used for projects elsewhere in both states.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bickendan

Quote from: doorknob60 on March 12, 2024, 05:33:19 PM
Good news, but when I read the headline yesterday, my brain was assuming it would also scrap the Abernethy Bridge toll. Shame it's not, I think it's a bad idea there. I think you'll get a lot of Shunpiking on local roads and the OR-43 bridge which could be a total mess. Also may deflect some thru traffic (say, Hood River to Salem) onto I-5 through downtown instead, which is maybe not what you want.
Oregon City wouldn't stand for such a shunpike, as it would clog McGloughlin Blvd. the narrow downtown OC streets, and the bridge itself, which is very narrow, not to mention that the money saved would be lost via massive time expenditure even if assuming zero traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.