News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 167 Sheridan (Arkansas) bypass

Started by bugo, May 30, 2014, 10:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Is the bypass open to traffic?  What's the speed limit?  What kind of intersection is at the rather busy US 270?  Please tell me it's a grade seperated interchange and not an at grade intersection or even worse, a roundabout.

US71

It's open:

Quote from: hawk07 on May 25, 2014, 09:07:34 AM
Since I have not seen any mention of the US167 Sheridan Bypass, I thought I would add to the forum that it was opened on April 3rd.   There had been quite a bit of consternation by the local cities and county government on the crossing of Arkansas 46 and the new 167 bypass.   AHD did not put a traffic light at this crossing but instead altered the crossing so vehicle can not go straight across but can have a place to wait between the divided lanes.   The issue is many tractor-trailer hauling timber or wood chips bound for mills cross this highway. The locals believe this will be a hazard that may lead to some extreme accidents.  As always AHD goes cheap and time will tell if this intersection will prove hazardous.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

yakra

Quote from: bugo on May 30, 2014, 10:06:01 PM
Is the bypass open to traffic?  What's the speed limit?  What kind of intersection is at the rather busy US 270?  Please tell me it's a grade seperated interchange and not an at grade intersection or even worse, a roundabout.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=34.312618,-92.430398&t=k&z=19
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bugo

That's a deadly design.  Cheap old Arkansans refuse to pay taxes and we get rubbish like this.  Okies are the same way.  This should have been a spui or diamond.

cjk374

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3447187,-92.717695,1345m/data=!3m1!1e3

This is Quitman, LA where 167 was rerouted from running through Quitman to curving around the town.  LADOTD could have just as easily kept the original road & let it intersect the new road (you can still see the original alignment, now labled as LA 155).  But instead, they curved the original segments of the road away and made all of the traffic turn onto the new 167, cross a bayou, then turn left to continue on LA 155.  This is a cheaper way that AR could have chosen than build a grade separated interchange.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hawk07

A relative who lives in the area said the speed limit is 60 mph.  All the  interchanges are at grade, it was noted AHD has bought the property around those intersections to put in above grade intersections if traffic ever warrants it and the money is ever available. So the answer is it will never happen. 

hawk07

I just stumbled onto a schematic from AHD which shows what they have done to US 167 and Arkansas Highway 46 intersection. Here it is,

bjrush

Seems like kind of an innovative design at Highway 46.

Wonder what the traffic counts were at US 270/US 167. That is probably what determined grad separated/at grade intersection
Woo Pig Sooie

hawk07

The 1st months impact of the US 167 bypass of Sheridan appears to have hit the city of Sheridan hard in tax collection. The Sheridan Headlight reported the city has reported the April 2014 tax revenue was down 12.3% when compared to the collection in April 2013.

rte66man

Quote from: hawk07 on July 15, 2014, 06:07:04 PM
The 1st months impact of the US 167 bypass of Sheridan appears to have hit the city of Sheridan hard in tax collection. The Sheridan Headlight reported the city has reported the April 2014 tax revenue was down 12.3% when compared to the collection in April 2013.

Annex out to the bypass like every other town....
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

hawk07

Most of that area has been annexed for several years.  Mayor says he doesn't expect development to happen any time soon.  Your thoughts is what the AHD told the city.

rte66man

Quote from: hawk07 on July 15, 2014, 08:42:59 PM
Most of that area has been annexed for several years.  Mayor says he doesn't expect development to happen any time soon.  Your thoughts is what the AHD told the city.

I suspect there will be at least one kwik gas establishment built out there within the next 12 months.  Others will soon follow.  Business always moves to where the customers are.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bjrush

Rumor in town is the walmart will move out on the bypass
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on July 15, 2014, 09:46:41 PM
Wouldn't be surprising.

Wayward Memphian

They always do.

US71

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 16, 2014, 10:19:53 AM

They always do.
Probably already bought the land, too.

US 41

... and the bypass will soon be bombarded with stop lights as the town will move out to the bypass. Same old story. This is why you make interstate quality bypasses. Do it right the first time.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

US71

Quote from: US 41 on July 16, 2014, 11:55:00 AM
... and the bypass will soon be bombarded with stop lights as the town will move out to the bypass. Same old story. This is why you make interstate quality bypasses. Do it right the first time.
The Fayetteville Bypass started as 2 lanes. As more accidents occurred, flashing lights were put up at the at-grade intersections. When that didn't help, it was gradually expanded to 4 Lanes divided.

bjrush

Well, since they don't really need a bypass at all, that isn't the end of the world
Woo Pig Sooie

bjrush

Quote from: US71 on July 16, 2014, 10:30:51 AM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 16, 2014, 10:19:53 AM

They always do.
Probably already bought the land, too.

We could check on ARcounty. I think you need a login for Grant Co though
Woo Pig Sooie

cjk374

Totally agree!   :nod:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.