News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wagon Wheel Bridge, Boone IA, seriously damaged by ice

Started by Jardine, February 23, 2016, 05:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jardine

Sorry to report, ice going down the Des Moines River has seriously damaged the Wagon Wheel Bridge, located nearly beneath the Union Pacific's Kate Shelley Bridges.

I've heard a report the damage is serious enough that even if the bridge doesn't collapse completely, it will be removed.

This is really sad news.  In the picture you can see how far one of the central piers has buckled. 8 feet or so, it's really out of alignment now.

(view is from east end looking west)

Jardine

Update:

WHO-TV is reporting the county is making plans to remove the bridge.

This is really bad news.  I rode over this bridge in the 70s.  It's on the Register of historic buildings too.

Jardine

Damn, one span went in the water this afternoon, around 1:40PM

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Jardine

Jardine

And a view through the remaining spans:

SteveG1988

Hot dam is that one dam big gap. You could park a dam schoolbus there. How often does this river flood? Would a damn help?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Jardine

The Saylorville Dam is down stream, I canoed once from a few miles south of Wagon Wheel Bridge (hwy 30 access area) to several miles south of the Ledges State Park.  Beautiful stretch of the river.

I think in '93 water from Saylorville Dam backed up past Wagon Wheel Bridge.  As for a dam in that area, not a chance, Boone Valley
Scenic Railway has trackage in the area and anyone trying to change that stretch of river would be a lightning road for abuse.

I think people were holding out hope Wagon Wheel Bridge could be renovated into a pedestrian/hiking attraction, but it's too late now. 

Not evident in any of these pictures is the spectacular view from Wagon Wheel Bridge of the Kate Shelley Union Pacific railroad bridges.

The wonder is, considering the untamed nature of the Des Moines River in that area is that the bridge stood for so long.  Still, it's tough to see it go, it was a wonderful example of an old rickety truss bridge.

Jardine

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.