News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Reconstructing AR 220

Started by US71, September 13, 2015, 10:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

According to idrivearkansas, AR 220 is being reconstructed north of Lee Creek to Devils Den State Park.

This concerns me: I worry about the scenic nature of the roadway being compromised. Yes, it took out my drive train about 14 years ago (I was going too fast and not paying attention to the potholes), but I've always liked the seclusion and scenery. I guess that means all the cool curves will be removed, too?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Took a tour of construction on 220 today. The cut-off north of Lee Creek at Old Cove City Rd is being straightened and a bridge (more like a culvert) over Fall Creek is being replaced. Otherwise, it appears construction mostly follows the existing roadway, but the new road will be a bit wider and more "graceful" hills. Construction officially terminates at the Crawford-Washington County Line.

Although the highway is predominantly dirt and gravel, there are some small sections of old, broken asphalt, at least in Washington County.

220 is really the wrong designation considering it runs mostly North-South, but is posted East-West.

bjrush

A friend traveled this route recently. The main bridge appears to be almost complete. It may be some of our last chances to drive on a gravel state highway in Arkansas...
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on November 29, 2016, 10:57:00 PM
A friend traveled this route recently. The main bridge appears to be almost complete. It may be some of our last chances to drive on a gravel state highway in Arkansas...

Last time I drove it, I damn near tore out my van's undercarriage. The contractor's work was making things worse. I've been tempted to take another look, but am wary.

MikieTimT

There's still AR 215 in Franklin County near Peter Pender that is gravel for 5 miles and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 30, 2016, 10:56:29 AM

There's still AR 215 in Franklin County near Peter Pender that is gravel for 5 miles and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.

I'll have to field check this. To my knowledge, 215 is paved

NE2

Are you sure you're not thinking of the county road that continues east where AR 215 ends at Dahoma?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

MikieTimT

Quote from: NE2 on November 30, 2016, 12:10:09 PM

Are you sure you're not thinking of the county road that continues east where AR 215 ends at Dahoma?

No, I'm talking about the AR 215 segment in Franklin County between AR 217 in Vesta and AR 41 near Peter Pender.  The 5 miles on the east end are gravel with the State Maintenance Ends sign within a mile of where my Mom lives.

NE2

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 30, 2016, 02:14:50 PM
Quote from: NE2 on November 30, 2016, 12:10:09 PM

No, I'm talking about the AR 215 segment in Franklin County between AR 217 in Vesta and AR 41 near Peter Pender.  The 5 miles on the east end are gravel with the State Maintenance Ends sign within a mile of where my Mom lives.

We're talking about the same road. Why do you think the gravel portion is AR 215? AHTD maps don't show it as such:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/maps/counties/county%20PDFs/FranklinCounty.pdf
http://www.arkansashighways.com/Maps/Counties/County%20RAS/RAS%20Maps%20PDF/mfran_ras.pdf
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 30, 2016, 02:14:50 PM

Based on my recollection, 215 ends, becoming a county road which eventually intersects AR 41.

There's another 215 west of Oark which was finally paved several years ago, but also continues east as a county road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.