News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abqtraveler

Quote from: connroadgeek on September 22, 2018, 05:54:25 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on September 21, 2018, 05:17:57 PM
Wow... that building's toast.  Wonder if it'll get rebuilt or not.  Not too many buildings left at weigh stations throughout New England. 

In other news, I perused the I-91 Exit 29 relocation plans and found the signing plans.  Looks like signs in both directions will be replaced from the Route 3 overpass at Exit 25 up to just past Exit 29.  US 5 is being omitted from all Exit 28 and 29 signs northbound, except a mention of "US 5/CT 15 North/Charter Oak Bridge" where the current Exit 27-exit now gantry is.  APLs will be going in for Exit 29, including a 2 mile advance.  The arrows on the APL are angled up/left, instead of curved left. 

So you don't have to download all the plans, they're here (fair warning - large file):
https://biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Documents/Bids/47623/sec_01.01-01.05_Plans.zip

Then open in the TRAFFIC.PDF.

What's interesting is the plans not only show the final sign placement, but intermediate stages of signs (ie - moving existing signs to new gantry during one phase, replacing the signs themselves in the next phase, etc).  Also interesting, not all signs on CT 15 North or South through the project limits are being replaced.  There will still be some button copy mixed in there.  And while the CT 15 SB final sign for the I-91 SB ramp is being replaced, the ones on the bridge itself are not.  So you'll have NY City posted on the bridge but no mention of it at the actual exit. 

Local news says the building will not be replaced. They have a nice little building at the exit 3 weigh station on I-95 NB, plus it also has a little booth at the entrance to it.

If ConnDOT were smart, they'd file a claim with the driver's insurance carrier for the cost to replace the destroyed building. That way they get themselves a shiny new weigh station at no cost to the taxpayer. But...for a government agency to go after a motorists insurance carrier to rebuild the building the driver wrecked...that would never happen because it's something that actually makes sense.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

wytout

As somebody be who works in auto liability claims including CT, I assure you that if the DOT knows about it... ie a police report written to identify the damaged  state property, etc... they will seek a claim against the motorist responsible for the damages... no matter how big or small right down to 1 section of guardrail or a no parking sign
-Chris

MikeCL

Any word about a replacement VMS at the 95NB CT state line weigh station? It was taken down a few weeks ago the whole support pole and all.

connroadgeek

Quote from: MikeCL on September 24, 2018, 03:57:36 PM
Any word about a replacement VMS at the 95NB CT state line weigh station? It was taken down a few weeks ago the whole support pole and all.
If history is any guide it will get replaced with one of the newer LED signs attached to the overkill heavy duty gantries eventually. I believe that was one of the last flip dot matrix signs to be retired. I think having them mounted to bridges is not something we'll see anymore either as the state seems to be moving away from attaching things to bridges. There was one in Darien and one in Fairfield and both of those are now of the LED gantry mounted variety. Why can't Connecticut get the nice VMSes like NY has instead of these cheap looking ones? I guess it's better than the semi-permanent portable sign installations they were doing for a while, but NY now even has LCD screens that display a BGS on the Triboro which are awesome. Connecticut has been installing new RWIS stations too. Looks like there could be a new one going up along the exit 4 NB on-ramp (that looks way too close to traffic), and there are new fancier ones in Fairfield and Madison.

jon daly

I was on CT-2A the other day and noticed that the DOT hasn't removed an old Exit 1 sign for CT-32 near the east bound ramp. There is a larger sign that has the new exit # (Exit 5.)

MikeCL

Yeeessss!! The LCD for the Triborough is really nice but last time i saw it I thought was a little distracting with the transitions.

But yeah that sign was the last flip dot.. looks like the new signs are just orange i never understood the exit 9 NB why they put a tri color sign when they just use only one color.

Maybe they got a good deal on it who knows..

I think when that bridge gets replaced that will also be coming down.

Also yes that is a new RWWS going up I saw yesterday when he was putting the instruments on and it's upright as of today.. I agree it's a odd spot given people park off that area.

RobbieL2415

Why would you need full-color LED VMSs? White text on a black background is easy enough to read.  The ones the state has now are entering the end of their useful life. Just replace them with more energy-efficient units that have a higher resolution.  The problem with the vane-type signs was likely their additional mechanical components and the fact that they had to be front-lit, the latter often caused glare if the plastic cover was dirty.

FWIW this is the probably the oldest VMS in New England:
https://goo.gl/maps/JHXBWZGuUuj

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 25, 2018, 09:51:28 PM
Why would you need full-color LED VMSs? White text on a black background is easy enough to read.  The ones the state has now are entering the end of their useful life. Just replace them with more energy-efficient units that have a higher resolution.  The problem with the vane-type signs was likely their additional mechanical components and the fact that they had to be front-lit, the latter often caused glare if the plastic cover was dirty.

I would think the ones on the NJTP with the inlaid multiple warnings are the oldest
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

connroadgeek

The NJ ones aren't VMSes - they are fixed message signs. I don't know if there was anything before flip dot matrix signs because those are pretty low tech and have been around for decades in various forms.

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 25, 2018, 10:41:22 PM

I would think the ones on the NJTP with the inlaid multiple warnings are the oldest
Also not New England

connroadgeek

Quote from: MikeCL on September 25, 2018, 12:45:38 PM
Yeeessss!! The LCD for the Triborough is really nice but last time i saw it I thought was a little distracting with the transitions.

But yeah that sign was the last flip dot.. looks like the new signs are just orange i never understood the exit 9 NB why they put a tri color sign when they just use only one color.

Maybe they got a good deal on it who knows..

I think when that bridge gets replaced that will also be coming down.

Also yes that is a new RWWS going up I saw yesterday when he was putting the instruments on and it's upright as of today.. I agree it's a odd spot given people park off that area.
The first time I saw that Triboro sign I was confused. At first I just thought it was a really reflective new BGS that was catching the sun because it was so bright, and then it transitioned to show something else and I couldn't believe a DOT would spend that kind of money to buy a 20 x 15 ft TV screen to use as a road sign, but after a few seconds of not being able to figure out how the sign changed I realized that's exactly what the TBTA must have done.

Rothman

I liked the old neon ones on the NJ Turnpike. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikeCL

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Alps on September 25, 2018, 11:40:19 PM

Also not New England
This one is on the Mass Pike westbound just before the old Stockbridge toll plaza. I have no idea what purpose it serves.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 26, 2018, 10:43:55 PM

Also not New England
This one is on the Mass Pike westbound just before the old Stockbridge toll plaza. I have no idea what purpose it serves.

Makes me wonder if it is property of the NYTA and warns of delays or hazards on the Berkshire Thruway or Free 90 heading to Albany. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 27, 2018, 10:48:34 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 26, 2018, 10:43:55 PM

Also not New England

Makes me wonder if it is property of the NYTA and warns of delays or hazards on the Berkshire Thruway or Free 90 heading to Albany.
There's four separate display elements on it. It's weird. Weirdest one I've ever seen.

shadyjay

3 lanes of I-84 West are opening tonight (9/28) in Waterbury.  Construction will continue through the fall on final paving.
http://widening.i-84waterbury.com/announcements/280

RobbieL2415

Quote from: shadyjay on September 28, 2018, 12:18:41 PM
3 lanes of I-84 West are opening tonight (9/28) in Waterbury.  Construction will continue through the fall on final paving.
I hope the same contractors bidded on the I-91 Exit 29 project. These guys finished up ahead of schedule.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 28, 2018, 03:50:35 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on September 28, 2018, 12:18:41 PM
I hope the same contractors bidded on the I-91 Exit 29 project. These guys finished up ahead of schedule.

As long as it's not the company handling the I-84 Southington-Farmington sign replacement project.  Been almost a year since it started and no new signage installed since June, with old signage still standing behind new signage and a new gantry for Exit 39 EB at exit sign installed and a new sign, but on the old gantry which is ridiculously long like the old Exit 32 WB 1/2 mi gantry.

Speaking of signs, the one thing that drives me nutty about the new signage for the I-91 project that is not being corrected: The pull through for 91 north on the APL says "91 North/84 West//Hartford/Waterbury".  Why does ConnDOT need to use Hartford when you are already within the Hartford city limits?  It should be Springfield. 

Here's one I created with a mileage based exit #

shadyjay

Another weekend, another road trip, this time down to CT.  I had an unexpected trip down I-95 from Westbrook to Norwalk on Friday afternoon (4pm - great...) and did get a chance to lense the newest overhead on I-95:

95SB-Exit43 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

I returned back north after dark, so I didn't get the northbound sign, but it does contain an aux sign for Exit 44 and a 1 mile advance for Exit 46. 
As for southbound, there is still an older button copy "exit now" sign at Exit 43 (which I thought this new assembly was going to take care of), and still the old "exit now" button copy signs for Exit 34 still exist.  As for traffic, you know how it was....it was Friday afternoon/evening.  After leaving Norwalk, I contemplated making the trip up to the Merritt to check on the sign replacement project there, but it was after dark and was talked out of it.

On the way back to Vermont this afternoon, I contemplated which way to take.  My original plan was to cover I-84 Eastbound through the Southington-Farmington sign replacement project, but after hearing of (and seeing on traffic cameras) little progress, I figured I'd go up I-95 and check out the Groton-RI state line sign project instead.  My last trip on this section was in August, and since then, there is almost zero progress to report.  There are still overheads on bridges yet to be removed, some regulatory signage still to be replaced, and still no new signs for Exits 86, 87, or 88 (no overhead supports installed yet).  Not all the ramp signs are up yet.  I did observe equipment at the Exit 86 overhead that was staged to prepare a foundation.  From misc travels throughout the state, I passed several sign locations that were in last year's spot overhead sign replacement project, and none of those have been worked on yet either.  Is there a strike or equipment shortage of overhead sign materials or something? 

I did observe the weigh station southbound in Waterford (that was hit by a wayward driver earlier this month) is a pile of rubble, and the offramp to the weigh station is blocked off.  Also, the new 4-chord truss overheads on the SB Gold Star Bridge are still sign-less.  My guess is that signs will be replaced there once work wraps up (this fall?). 

So only one CT photo this time around, but several from RI, MA, and NH.  For those interested in those, the album link is down in my sig.

Mergingtraffic

Some sign updates on I-84 in Southington and CT-8 between Derby and Waterbury....

Well there is none and that's the annoying part.

On CT-8 I see new gaurdrail going up near signs but IDK if that's related or not. 
The I-84 signage from Exit 30-39 has completely stopped. 

However new signage at the I-84 widening is also slow.  Still no new Exit 25 "exit now" sign on I-84 WB and the EB sign is still missing the arrow.

The C&D road still has the temp signs up with a temp orange "I-84 East Keep Left"

The above sign is up and I'm hoping to catch a pic with the overlay and handwritten "NORTH" taken off of it.  I hoping there will be a window when they put the I-84 LEFT LANES" back up for a quick second or two.

A quick question: I noticed a blue logo service sign knocked down on I-91 NB somewhere around Exit 12 or Exit 13. I forget which service either FOOD or GAS. it was button copy though.  Who's responsible for putting it back up? The business or the DOT?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

abqtraveler

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 22, 2018, 03:17:46 PM
Some sign updates on I-84 in Southington and CT-8 between Derby and Waterbury....

Well there is none and that's the annoying part.

On CT-8 I see new gaurdrail going up near signs but IDK if that's related or not. 
The I-84 signage from Exit 30-39 has completely stopped. 

However new signage at the I-84 widening is also slow.  Still no new Exit 25 "exit now" sign on I-84 WB and the EB sign is still missing the arrow.

The C&D road still has the temp signs up with a temp orange "I-84 East Keep Left"

The above sign is up and I'm hoping to catch a pic with the overlay and handwritten "NORTH" taken off of it.  I hoping there will be a window when they put the I-84 LEFT LANES" back up for a quick second or two.

A quick question: I noticed a blue logo service sign knocked down on I-91 NB somewhere around Exit 12 or Exit 13. I forget which service either FOOD or GAS. it was button copy though.  Who's responsible for putting it back up? The business or the DOT?

Normally, the DOT will repair or replace the sign, and send the bill to the driver's insurance carrier.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

shadyjay

I've been checking the web cams for the I-84 sign project and the one cam at the west end of the I-95 project and am stunned by the lack of progress as well.  Haven't seen any progress in any spot sign replacement projects either.  What's going on?

I've also been wondering why ConnDOT didn't take the time to slightly renumber the exits in Waterbury.  With Exit 24 no longer existing, why not make existing Exit 25 be Exit 24 and renumber Exit 25A to Exit 25?  They did something similar as part of the West River Bridge project on I-95 when Exit 45 became Exit 44.  But perhaps that was to get the exit closer to the mile, and they'll just wait until I-84 goes mile-based to make any exit changes there.  At this rate, that'll happen in 2050.

jon daly

That is one ugly sign.

Mergingtraffic

I saw this on the I-84 Danbury widening website:
http://www.i84danbury.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Focus_Group_Set_1_Full_Report_FINAL_DRAFT.pdf

Page 11 mentioned people want a direct expressway between I-84 and I-95.  Hmmm but if you read the media you'd think everyone is against it (Super 7).  It'll never be built, but people DO want it.

I just hope they do it right, the backup occurs when lanes drop thru the US-7 exits and on-ramps and the left hand nature of the interchanges.  I'd rather see no additional lanes as long as they fix that.  Keep the same number of thru lanes thru the interchanges and make them all right sided.  We shall see. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.