News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

West Virginia

Started by logan230, October 16, 2014, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: froggie on July 27, 2019, 09:07:13 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on July 25, 2019, 06:30:28 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 25, 2019, 05:25:15 PM
Speed limits there are probably decreasing because it's so twisty. It's not flat where you can drive fast. I'm fine with them lowering it from 70 to 60, 60 is fast enough for me.
It's easily driveable at 70 mph. Lower the truck speed limit. Not the car limit.

Then you're instituting a split speed limit, which brings a whole different host of safety issues...

So YOU think cars and trucks should both do 60 mph?

froggie

That's not what I said.  What I said is that you introduce additional safety issues by instituting different speed limits for cars and trucks.  Only a proper speed and engineering study should be used to determine the speed limit on the West Virginia Turnpike.  That said, my own personal empirical evidence is that many of the curves, especially the curvy section south of Chelyan, are tight at 70 MPH even in a passenger vehicle.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on July 28, 2019, 10:49:14 PM
What I said is that you introduce additional safety issues by instituting different speed limits for cars and trucks.
You should check out the thread regarding the proposed 65 mph truck speed limit. Someone there actually supports it.

froggie

I'm aware the American Truckers Association has been pushing a uniform 65 MPH truck limit heavily.  I also know there are other trucking associations opposed to it.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on July 28, 2019, 11:00:05 PM
I'm aware the American Truckers Association has been pushing a uniform 65 MPH truck limit heavily.  I also know there are other trucking associations opposed to it.

That would be the bane of travel on 70 mph Interstate highways that are common in the eastern part of the country.  Micro passing trucks that can't keep up with 70 mph are already a major hindrance on those highways.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 08:27:48 AM
Quote from: froggie on July 28, 2019, 11:00:05 PM

That would be the bane of travel on 70 mph Interstate highways that are common in the eastern part of the country.  Micro passing trucks that can't keep up with 70 mph are already a major hindrance on those highways.
It's even worse as you go out west with 75, 80, and 85 mph speed limits and you have trucks doing 60 - 65 mph passing for miles.

seicer

Officials: Local I-64 widening part of a larger plan | WVDOH Release

"About 2.5 miles of road from just past the Huntington Mall to the Guyandotte River will be widened from four to eight lanes as part of the $71.7 million project, along with the replacement of five bridges. The project will begin next summer, with an estimated end date in 2022.

Heading west, the project begins about half a mile before the West Mall Road exit, replacing the bridge that crosses over the Mud River. From there, the bridge over East Mall Road, the bridge over Mud River Road, the bridge over Wild Cat Road and the bridge over Big Ben Bowen Highway will all be replaced and widened. The project ends just before the Guyandotte River bridge, just after the Merritt's Creek exit.

In the near future, the Guyandotte River bridge to the 29th Street exit - where the road widens again - will be widened, said Brent Walker, director of communications for the West Virginia Department of Transportation. According to estimates on the DOT's website, this portion would be widened to six lanes."

--

Other interests:
* WV 622 widening near Charleston: https://transportation.wv.gov/highways/engineering/comment/WV622-NewGoffMtnRoad-BigTylerRoadProject/Documents/handout.pdf
* Aetnaville Bridge demolition in Wheeling: https://transportation.wv.gov/highways/engineering/comment/Aetnaville-Bridge-Demo-Project/Pages/default.aspx

SP Cook

Quote from: seicer on July 30, 2019, 11:10:22 AM
Officials: Local I-64 widening part of a larger plan | WVDOH Release

"About 2.5 miles of road from just past the Huntington Mall to the Guyandotte River will be widened from four to eight lanes as part of the $71.7 million project, along with the replacement of five bridges. The project will begin next summer, with an estimated end date in 2022.

Heading west, the project begins about half a mile before the West Mall Road exit, replacing the bridge that crosses over the Mud River. From there, the bridge over East Mall Road, the bridge over Mud River Road, the bridge over Wild Cat Road and the bridge over Big Ben Bowen Highway will all be replaced and widened. The project ends just before the Guyandotte River bridge, just after the Merritt's Creek exit.

In the near future, the Guyandotte River bridge to the 29th Street exit - where the road widens again - will be widened, said Brent Walker, director of communications for the West Virginia Department of Transportation. According to estimates on the DOT's website, this portion would be widened to six lanes.

When all of the mentioned projects are complete, along with the twinning of the Nitro-St. Albans interstate bridge at MM 44-45, 64 will be more than 4 lanes from Exit 11 to Exit 20 and again from Exit 39 through its merge into I-77 at MP 60, and, using 77 MPs for four more miles to Exit 98.  Eventual goal is to fill in the gap between Exits 39 and 20, along with a new exit between the current Milton and Hurricane exits; and then from Exit 6 to Exit 11.

Much needed.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 11:04:28 AM
It's even worse as you go out west with 75, 80, and 85 mph speed limits and you have trucks doing 60 - 65 mph passing for miles.

I experienced that on my trip last weekend to NW Indiana, where I-70 and I-65 are very busy rural Interstate highways, with a 70 mph limit for all vehicles.  Sometimes 5 miles or more where the trucks would not get out of the left lane or complete a pass, even though drivers in cars where flashing high beams at them.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

seicer

Looks like the Nitro-St. Albans bridge is out to re-bid, along with the Wheeling bridge rehab project on I-70, too.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 01:13:11 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 11:04:28 AM

I experienced that on my trip last weekend to NW Indiana, where I-70 and I-65 are very busy rural Interstate highways, with a 70 mph limit for all vehicles.  Sometimes 5 miles or more where the trucks would not get out of the left lane or complete a pass, even though drivers in cars where flashing high beams at them.
I agree. A more local example, I-64 is a huge problem as well for slow traffic, trucks passing for miles, etc. between Richmond and Williamsburg. Thankfully it's getting smaller and smaller each widening project at a time.

I got stuck behind 2 trucks passing for over 10 miles a few weeks ago, both trucks doing about 64-65 mph in both lanes in a 70 mph zone. Very frustrating, especially when drivers behind the truck get reckless, accelerating quickly, slamming brakes, tailgating, weaving in and out of lanes, etc.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 02:17:49 PM
Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 01:13:11 PM
I agree. A more local example, I-64 is a huge problem as well for slow traffic, trucks passing for miles, etc. between Richmond and Williamsburg. Thankfully it's getting smaller and smaller each widening project at a time.
I got stuck behind 2 trucks passing for over 10 miles a few weeks ago, both trucks doing about 64-65 mph in both lanes in a 70 mph zone. Very frustrating, especially when drivers behind the truck get reckless, accelerating quickly, slamming brakes, tailgating, weaving in and out of lanes, etc.

Interesting, I hardly ever have that problem on I-64, and I was about to pull my hair out over the trucks on I-70 and I-64 between Dayton and NW Indiana.  Big difference in truck percentages for one thing, much higher on those sections of I-70 and I-65.  I got behind several of those clusters and gave them a continuous halogen high beam until they moved over (BTW daytime and when no other vehicles were affected by the high beams).

That is a misuse of headlights but I had had it by that point.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 02:25:57 PM
Interesting, I hardly ever have that problem on I-64, and I was about to pull my hair out over the trucks on I-70 and I-64 between Dayton and NW Indiana.  Big difference in truck percentages for one thing, much higher on those sections of I-70 and I-65.
Must have been just a bad day then. I-64 is a major truck route especially for port-bound traffic (given Port of Virginia is the 3rd largest port on the East Coast and 4 major ports exist in Hampton Roads) but something like I-70 and I-64 would have long-distance truck traffic, and that can be especially heavy on routes like those.

I got behind several of those clusters and gave them a continuous halogen high beam until they moved over (BTW daytime and when no other vehicles were affected by the high beams).

To be fair, how much can they really see it? Also, was it a truck simply hogging the left lane, or riding alongside another a truck in the right lane? If it was just hogging the left lane for miles, I would've just said screw it and pass it on the right. I'm not fond of passing on the right, but I will do it if someone is blocking the left lane and the right lane is clear (IF the right lane is clear for a good distance, I'm not one of those drivers who will attempt to pass on the right then get stuck and expect to be let back in)

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 02:33:04 PM
Interesting, I hardly ever have that problem on I-64, and I was about to pull my hair out over the trucks on I-70 and I-64 between Dayton and NW Indiana.  Big difference in truck percentages for one thing, much higher on those sections of I-70 and I-65.
Must have been just a bad day then. I-64 is a major truck route especially for port-bound traffic (given Port of Virginia is the 3rd largest port on the East Coast and 4 major ports exist in Hampton Roads) but something like I-70 and I-64 would have long-distance truck traffic, and that can be especially heavy on routes like those.

Generally true but I-64 has rather light truck traffic compared to some of those Midwestern Interstate highways.  A lot of the port freight moves by railroad.

I got behind several of those clusters and gave them a continuous halogen high beam until they moved over (BTW daytime and when no other vehicles were affected by the high beams).
To be fair, how much can they really see it?

I positioned myself so that the light was directly into their mirrors, and I have the brightest high beams that are manufactured.

Also, was it a truck simply hogging the left lane, or riding alongside another a truck in the right lane? If it was just hogging the left lane for miles, I would've just said screw it and pass it on the right. I'm not fond of passing on the right, but I will do it if someone is blocking the left lane and the right lane is clear (IF the right lane is clear for a good distance, I'm not one of those drivers who will attempt to pass on the right then get stuck and expect to be let back in)

Trucks were traveling in both lanes and there was no way to pass between them, they were too close together.  I don't mind passing on the right if that lane is open.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 06:32:51 PM
Generally true but I-64 has rather light truck traffic compared to some of those Midwestern Interstate highways.  A lot of the port freight moves by railroad.
Actually looking now, I-64 only has 6-8% heavy truck traffic. Never realized it was that low. Was expecting at least 15%.

One example that comes to mind is I-40 west of Memphis. Truck traffic is 58% of the total traffic. That stretch of I-40 is a very busy freight corridor.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 10:20:42 PM
Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 06:32:51 PM
Actually looking now, I-64 only has 6-8% heavy truck traffic. Never realized it was that low. Was expecting at least 15%.
One example that comes to mind is I-40 west of Memphis. Truck traffic is 58% of the total traffic. That stretch of I-40 is a very busy freight corridor.

Those highways I mentioned probably at least 30%. 

One monstrously busy truck route is I-80/94 in NW Indiana, 8 lanes but probably 120,000 AADT total and about 40,000 large trucks.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

^ I think you mean I-80/94 along the Borman.  West of I-65 its AADT ranges from 160K-200K with large trucks ranging from 35K-45K.  Between I-65 and I-90/ITR it's around 100K AADT with 20K large trucks.  (2017 traffic data)

So overall call it a 20-25% truck percentage.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on July 31, 2019, 08:51:25 AM
I think you mean I-80/94 along the Borman. 
Fixed it...

Quote from: froggie on July 31, 2019, 08:51:25 AM
West of I-65 its AADT ranges from 160K-200K with large trucks ranging from 35K-45K.  Between I-65 and I-90/ITR it's around 100K AADT with 20K large trucks.  (2017 traffic data)
So overall call it a 20-25% truck percentage.
I go to Highland, which is near IN-912 Cline Avenue, and I am aware of the traffic differential at I-65.

I recalled that 40,000 figure from a past article.  Since a large truck is the size it is, that volume provides a very impressive almost continuous steam of trucks especially during daytime.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Bid awarded to rehabilitate I-70 bridges in West Virginia
Aug 5, 2019
https://www.bdtonline.com/region/bid-awarded-to-rehabilitate-i--bridges-in-west-virginia/article_41fbd3af-3228-578a-8ef1-3b4be81844a7.html

WHEELING, W.Va. (AP) – West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice has awarded a nearly $215 million bid to improve bridges on Interstate 70.

News outlets report the selection of the lowest bid for the project was announced Monday in Wheeling.

New Kensington, Pennsylvania-based Swank Construction won the project to rehabilitate or replace more than two dozen bridges between Ohio and Pennsylvania.

The West Virginia Department of Transportation received five bids for the project.

WVDOT Construction Engineer Joe Juszczak says the Fulton Bridges on the east side of the Wheeling Tunnel are in need of full replacement because of rusting steel and eroding concrete. The rest of the bridges will be rehabilitated.

The project is expected to take three years to complete. Preliminary work could begin this fall.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

rickmastfan67

So, we now have a newly posted 'BYPASS' route for a US highway in WV.  The East Beckley Bypass now is posted as Bypass US-19.

http://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=3149

The picture that was posted there shows a NB shield just beyond it's intersection with WV-41.  Only thing I don't know yet is where it's Southern End is located.  Is it @ I-64 (Exit 124), or is it one of the two intersections US-19 has with the bypass (via connecting roads) right before I-64......  If anybody knows, please LMK!

SP Cook

It is the southmost of the two intersections between US 19 (which, ironically was originally the "19-21 Bypass" and still called that by people over 60 or so in Beckley) and the Bypass 19.  The remainder south of that is just considered part of the on-ramp to I-64.  However it is not clearly signed.

Mapmikey

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 13, 2019, 09:02:21 AM
So, we now have a newly posted 'BYPASS' route for a US highway in WV.  The East Beckley Bypass now is posted as Bypass US-19.

http://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=3149

The picture that was posted there shows a NB shield just beyond it's intersection with WV-41.  Only thing I don't know yet is where it's Southern End is located.  Is it @ I-64 (Exit 124), or is it one of the two intersections US-19 has with the bypass (via connecting roads) right before I-64......  If anybody knows, please LMK!

I couldn't see the picture when I clicked on the link.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Looks like it was uploaded as an attachment to a post, requiring one to be signed in to view it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: SP Cook on August 13, 2019, 10:11:02 AM
It is the southmost of the two intersections between US 19 (which, ironically was originally the "19-21 Bypass" and still called that by people over 60 or so in Beckley) and the Bypass 19.  The remainder south of that is just considered part of the on-ramp to I-64.  However it is not clearly signed.

So, no shields on the segment between the 2 connector roads?

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 13, 2019, 12:39:45 PM
The portion south of the connections to US 19 is officially US 19 CONN.

https://gis.transportation.wv.gov/GISCountyMaps/PDF-Hillshade/RaleighSheet%202.pdf

I had assumed as much, as I did recall there being a 'listed' CONN route there from when doing the recent overhaul of the WV routes for TM.  Was just curious if something had changed.

Quote from: vdeane on August 13, 2019, 07:28:57 PM
Looks like it was uploaded as an attachment to a post, requiring one to be signed in to view it.

Correct.  There's no way other than having an account to see it unless the user that posted it uploads it at another site so it could be linked here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.