News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Max Rockatansky

I wasn't really so sure myself if that commentary about forcing injections was a joke.  I've met a lot of people who would really do believe they ought to be a thing, only the poster can really answer what they meant. 

Regarding passports and vaccine barriers, I obviously know they are a real thing.  For my wife, I think that's a bridge she is just going to have to cross for herself.  I hope that she just goes and gets the vaccination out of the way.  I have no intention of missing out on any activity I want to do because she dragged her feet. 

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 11, 2021, 02:21:56 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2021, 09:36:12 PM
What motivates neutral people probably is completely subjective when it comes to vaccines.  [...]   Really the experience just reinforced what I thought when COVID began to be a serious topic; "it is a potentially serious disease largely for unhealthy groups, but not serious enough to shut the whole world down for."

[...]
That said, my decision to get vaccinated was based off of more that I just want to move on with my life.  To that end, there is some serious barriers in my way:

1.  I have a very aggressive employer regarding COVID protocols.  I have no doubt a vaccine will be required (or it will be incredibly likely) once they start receiving full FDA approval.
2.  I live in a state that already has COVID passports in place for things I want to do.  I also frequent locales out of state where that likely will be a thing as well.

Meanwhile, I experienced an exact opposite set of circumstances from you, and still arrived at the same conclusion. My last employer was very lax when it comes to COVID protocols–or to be more accurate, went for a set of "security theater" protocols that any reasonable person could see could nonetheless allow the virus to spread (e.g. requiring temperature checks and mask wearing for entry, but then allowing customers to remove masks to smoke indoors). They were unwilling to enforce a stricter protocol due to a perceived risk of losing revenue from customers unwilling to comply with them. At the same time Oklahoma reacted very aggressively against any sort of statewide mask mandate, and has expressed no interest in establishing a COVID passport system.

So I found myself in a situation where my safety was, I feel like, willfully threatened by my employer, with the state likewise failing to have my back, which directly led to me leaving that job. Although I have been working on a personal business venture, it isn't ready to make any money yet, so I am going to have to get a job with someone else in the meantime. I got vaccinated because, among other reasons, it means that I don't have to worry so much about being put into a situation like the one I left last July, where the organization with the most control over my day-to-day life demonstrates that it has no regard for my safety or well-being. Being vaccinated at least means I have one tool to use in my defense.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2021, 12:28:45 AM
Quote from: NE2 on May 10, 2021, 11:31:26 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2021, 09:44:12 PM
Suffice to say that pregnancy (which isn't a guarantee either) is more important to her than getting a vaccine.
Wants to add another person to an overcrowded world: check.
Wants to prolong the life of covid: check.
Sounds like you married a misanthrope.

I'm 38 and she's 36, neither of us have a kid.  We are also on our first marriage each, some would say that we did everything the responsible way and waited. 

But to that end I've never disrespected you like this before.  You've never met Jessica, but a fair amount of people you associate with on this forum have.  None of them would ever describe her as someone who hates humanity.

If NE2 hasn't disrespected you before, it's probably just a matter of him having not gotten around to doing it yet.

Don't get me wrong we had the security theater also.  The temperature check at the door was especially ineffective given we only ever turned a single person away.  As noted I believe earlier in the thread I ended up kicking out over two dozen people for not wearing masks or otherwise being jerks to employees.  They even went as far as instituting a travel ban at one point which was a 50 mile radius for the work place.  Why it was a good to have real safety standards and protocols we also did some overbearing and ineffective stuff that ended up pushing some people to quit ultimately.  I'm not sure what the right balance was but it seems to have to the total opposite direction you experienced.

Regarding NE2/SPUI his comment while not surprising was disappointing considering someone I do have a lot of respect for on this forum recently vouched for his character.  People who supposedly "care about people"  (I believe that's his motto he post elsewhere) don't tell others their wife hate humanity with no basis, or at least the irony of what he said wasn't lost on me.   

hotdogPi

NE2's comment about tying people down was even worse, given what was in the news at the time.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is back; I'm just waiting for the Travel Mapping update to happen.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2021, 08:10:18 AM
NE2's comment about tying people down was even worse, given what was in the news at the time.

Geeze I missed that one, in what context is was that said? 

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2021, 08:15:55 AM
Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2021, 08:10:18 AM

Geeze I missed that one, in what context is was that said?

Quote from: NE2 on April 22, 2021, 05:40:39 PM
I'll take that as a yes. I'll get the jab while y'all hold him down.

(click quote link for context)

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Avalanchez71

If you have the vaccine then why do you care if someone else doesn't?  They are the one that is exposed and you are vaccinated. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 11, 2021, 08:59:35 AM
If you have the vaccine then why do you care if someone else doesn't?  They are the one that is exposed and you are vaccinated.

The percentage vaccinated matters much more than whether any one specific individual is vaccinated or not.

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

tolbs17

Cause that's how the virus will keep spreading.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2021, 09:05:58 AM

The percentage vaccinated matters much more than whether any one specific individual is vaccinated or not.

That percentage probably is eventually going to be just a big of a barrier this next year towards lessening restrictions.  So to that end, I can see why people get frustrated when others in their circle won't or are hesitant to get vaccinations. 

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on May 11, 2021, 12:31:30 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2021, 11:53:39 PM
Quote from: bm7 on May 10, 2021, 11:47:01 PM
Suffice to say that pregnancy (which isn't a guarantee either) is more important to her than getting a vaccine.
How does wanting to have kids make someone a misanthrope? Would that not be the opposite of misanthropy?
NE2 is assuming that having kids will hurt life on the planet for the rest of us.
I agree with him on that; I'm just not an asshole like he is.
I understand a couple of people have reported this post. That said, it's at least clear to me this is tongue in cheek. He's not actually calling her a misanthrope, he's insinuating that anyone who wants kids nowadays hates humanity, which is clearly an exaggeration of the problem.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on May 11, 2021, 09:37:06 AM
Quote from: Takumi on May 11, 2021, 12:31:30 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 10, 2021, 11:53:39 PM
Quote from: bm7 on May 10, 2021, 11:47:01 PM
How does wanting to have kids make someone a misanthrope? Would that not be the opposite of misanthropy?
NE2 is assuming that having kids will hurt life on the planet for the rest of us.
I agree with him on that; I'm just not an asshole like he is.
I understand a couple of people have reported this post. That said, it's at least clear to me this is tongue in cheek. He's not actually calling her a misanthrope, he's insinuating that anyone who wants kids nowadays hates humanity, which is clearly an exaggeration of the problem.

For the record, if anyone is wondering I wasn't one of those people.  That was my wife he referred to and I think that I handled my retort reasonably.  I don't think something like that needs to be "moderated out."

That said, I didn't take it as "tongue and cheek"  either, but that's just my opinion.  Maybe I would feel differently if there wasn't a mountain of evidence that suggests he really does think that way towards other people.  That said it's worth noting Jessica is not on this forum nor would really care what he said anyways. 

webny99

If NE2 hasn't disrespected you before, it's probably just a matter of him having not gotten around to doing it yet.

Concur. Even as someone with dry humor, NE2's humor is next-level dry. You can't take anything he posts too literally or get offended by it.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 11, 2021, 10:22:36 AM

Concur. Even as someone with dry humor, NE2's humor is next-level dry. You can't take anything he posts too literally or get offended by it.
I don't get offended by NE2, I just jab back. It's all good fun, the forum is more fun with him on here.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

NE2 has several enemies. If you're one of them, you probably can't brush off NE2's comments.

Thread split, please, so this thread doesn't get locked.

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

1995hoo

I think you're making a bit of an unwarranted assumption in concluding that NE2's comments are intended as "humor," and I say that as someone who enjoys deadpan stuff. To some degree, NE2's comments remind me of the sorts of comments our nephew used to make before he grew up enough to develop a brain-to-mouth filter (such as the time about six years ago when our then-12-year-old nephew told me that I'm getting a lot of grey hair; he was not mature enough to understand my sarcastic response of, "Gee, thank you, I never would have known that without your help!"). I can't come up with what I think is an appropriate way to say any more than that, so I will just leave it there.

On the plus side, if NE2 behaves the same way in person as he does on this forum, then he'd probably alienate most women to the point where probably isn't too much risk of him ever having kids who will grow up to behave the same way he does.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 11, 2021, 10:28:50 AM
On the plus side, if NE2 behaves the same way in person as he does on this forum, then he'd probably alienate most women to the point where probably isn't too much risk of him ever having kids who will grow up to behave the same way he does.

NE2 is a very prolific Wikipedia editor. If he acted there the way he does on this forum, he would have been blocked long ago.

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Roadgeekteen

Back to vaccines...

For the people in America who don't want it, I'm sure India would love the vaccines! In all honesty, prayers for India. It's very bad over there.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 11, 2021, 10:33:48 AM
Back to vaccines...

For the people in America who don't want it, I'm sure India would love the vaccines! In all honesty, prayers for India. It's very bad over there.

And now every country right around it too.  Pakistan and Nepal are getting crushed.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 11, 2021, 10:35:42 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 11, 2021, 10:33:48 AM
Back to vaccines...

And now every country right around it too.  Pakistan and Nepal are getting crushed.

Chris
Much of the world is doing quite poorly, America is kind of a bubble.

webny99

I think you're making a bit of an unwarranted assumption in concluding that NE2's comments are intended as "humor," and I say that as someone who enjoys deadpan stuff. To some degree, NE2's comments remind me of the sorts of comments our nephew used to make before he grew up enough to develop a brain-to-mouth filter ...

I guess what I meant was that it doesn't really matter if he thinks it's humor, because regardless, if you take it seriously and/or get offended by it, you are playing right into his hands. So it's best to just assume a lack of seriousness and not worry too much about what his intentions were.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2021, 10:26:04 AM
Thread split, please, so this thread doesn't get locked.
I was already going to post this, because I am contractually obligated to do so anytime someone uses the word "misanthrope".

However, it will hopefully have the added benefit of cooling down, and potentially saving, this thread. Enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz8P8rgkKPY

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on May 11, 2021, 10:38:35 AM

I think you're making a bit of an unwarranted assumption in concluding that NE2's comments are intended as "humor," and I say that as someone who enjoys deadpan stuff. To some degree, NE2's comments remind me of the sorts of comments our nephew used to make before he grew up enough to develop a brain-to-mouth filter ...

I guess what I meant was that it doesn't really matter if he thinks it's humor, because regardless, if you take it seriously and/or get offended by it, you are playing right into his hands. So it's best to just assume a lack of seriousness and not worry too much about what his intentions were.

Even if you're trying to be funny you probably ought not tell someone that his wife hates the world for waiting to near middle age to have one kid.  I'm not really offended, I'm more disappointed.  A lot of us interact and know each other outside this forum, we talk about people in the road community.  A lot of people go to bat for NE2 despite the things he says to people on this forum.  I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but how can I in this instance when there is so much evidence (by his own actions on this forum) to support that he meant what he said?  I'm not the nicest person myself, but what he said took  things to a whole another level.

Plus you are all missing that he also said that Jessica wants the pandemic to go on because she is hesitant to get a vaccine.  That plays right into the point I was making pages back on how that attitude can backfire and push people away from getting one.

bm7

Quote from: Duke87 on May 11, 2021, 02:38:34 AM
I don't think a lot of people who are pushing vaccines really understand that they are only driving neutral/on the fence people away by being so aggressive in their stance.

Of course not, but modern America is full of tankies. There was already some commentary upthread about tying people who don't want to get vaccinated down and jabbing them against their will. It may have been presented as a joke, but don't for a second think there aren't a significant number of people out there who would be okay with this actually happening, if not outright supportive of it.

So I doubt the average person being a pain in someone's ass about their decision not to get vaccinated really cares whether it is effective at convincing them. Because it doesn't matter - if it convinces them great, but if it doesn't then their continued refusal will be used as justification for finding ways to punish them for their decision. And if that still doesn't work, it will be used as justification for ultimately taking away their freedom to make the decision for themselves.

Just a few pages back people in this thread were suggesting fining people, and not letting them go to college or have a job if they don't get vaccinated. It's disturbing to me that people want to take other's freedoms away over this just because they don't agree with them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bm7 on May 11, 2021, 11:21:39 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on May 11, 2021, 02:38:34 AM
I don't think a lot of people who are pushing vaccines really understand that they are only driving neutral/on the fence people away by being so aggressive in their stance.

Of course not, but modern America is full of tankies. There was already some commentary upthread about tying people who don't want to get vaccinated down and jabbing them against their will. It may have been presented as a joke, but don't for a second think there aren't a significant number of people out there who would be okay with this actually happening, if not outright supportive of it.

So I doubt the average person being a pain in someone's ass about their decision not to get vaccinated really cares whether it is effective at convincing them. Because it doesn't matter - if it convinces them great, but if it doesn't then their continued refusal will be used as justification for finding ways to punish them for their decision. And if that still doesn't work, it will be used as justification for ultimately taking away their freedom to make the decision for themselves.

Just a few pages back people in this thread were suggesting fining people, and not letting them go to college or have a job if they don't get vaccinated. It's disturbing to me that people want to take other's freedoms away over this just because they don't agree with them.
I don't support fining people for not getting the vaccine. But if an employer or a college thinks that it's too risky to have an unvaccinated person working somewhere or attending school, they can fire them/kick them out of the school.

JayhawkCO

The two largest public universities in Colorado will have a vaccine requirement for this coming school year.  Similarly, there has long been a polio/MMR vaccine requirement for public schools of all ages.  I don't see why it'd be any different for Covid.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 11, 2021, 11:58:31 AM

The two largest public universities in Colorado will have a vaccine requirement for this coming school year.  Similarly, there has long been a polio/MMR vaccine requirement for public schools of all ages.  I don't see why it'd be any different for Covid.

Chris
I will suspect that public high and middle schools might require it for next year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.