News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Scariest bridge you've ever driven across

Started by bugo, June 15, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrose

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2012, 11:27:56 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 26, 2012, 07:50:48 AM
I experienced a new scariest bridge this summer: The one from Cairo, IL to Kentucky, just upstream of the mouth of the Ohio River. High, narrow, with very insubstantial-looking guardrails, and a 90° turn in the approach on the Kentucky side. The fact that it was nearing dusk, and we'd just driven through Cairo (which is creepy anyway), and had to do it twice (I was Froggie-ing the state of Kentucky) didn't help matters any.

The only time I've driven across that bridge, it was my first day driving a box truck for work, and there was road construction at the bridge.  Trucks had about one foot of clearance between each other.

There's a thread in the regional forum about what a New Madrid earthquake would do to some of the infrastructure around Memphis and areas north and south. The first thing I thought of was this bridge, and the near identical one over the Mississippi just on the other side of Cairo. I'm guessing they'd both come down pretty easy.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Geography Man365

realjd

This one:

Along the Cape Tribulation Road in the far north of Queensland.

kkt

Quote from: realjd on June 17, 2013, 04:10:31 PM

You completely win.  If I had to cross that, I'd look for alternate routes.  If I really, really, had to, I'd make passengers walk across one at a time and hand carry all the heavy cargo, down to the spare tire before driving.

agentsteel53

the bridge looks sturdy enough.  it's just very, very narrow.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

english si

I described a bridge like that, only narrower, less well-built and in the middle of nowhere in a third world country and got shot down as a wuss.

Urban Prairie Schooner

The newly widened Huey P. Long bridge opened to traffic this weekend, so scratch this one off the "scariest bridge" list. :clap:

kkt

Quote from: english si on June 17, 2013, 06:22:10 PM
I described a bridge like that, only narrower, less well-built and in the middle of nowhere in a third world country and got shot down as a wuss.

Yeah, but you didn't supply pictures.  :D

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 17, 2013, 05:06:02 PM
the bridge looks sturdy enough.  it's just very, very narrow.

I agree, it looks quite sturdy, and I've definitely driven on bridges with less horizontal clearance.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

realjd

Quote from: kkt on June 17, 2013, 04:56:09 PM
Quote from: realjd on June 17, 2013, 04:10:31 PM

You completely win.  If I had to cross that, I'd look for alternate routes.  If I really, really, had to, I'd make passengers walk across one at a time and hand carry all the heavy cargo, down to the spare tire before driving.

If I had been someplace deserted and not on a relatively busy road, or if I had been in a country with dodgy infrastructure, I'd have been more hesitant. It felt rickety because the logs that make up the bridge deck were bumpy and loud but it didn't feel unsturdy while driving across. The bridge was actually under construction when I went across so they had workers directing traffic (one side went, then the other side, then traffic was blocked for 10 minutes so they could do some work).

Just in case y'all are curious as to the exact location, the bridge is here according to the EXIF data: 16.140000° S 145.430667° E. That area was a fantastic place to visit and there were a number of great drives around there.

Thing 342

The Bonner Bridge in the Outer Banks. A 2.7 mile, two-lane bridge built in 1963, with 10' wide lanes. Scares me every time I go over it.

Pete from Boston

I experienced a new scariest bridge this summer: The one from Cairo, IL to Kentucky, just upstream of the mouth of the Ohio River. High, narrow, with very insubstantial-looking guardrails, and a 90° turn in the approach on the Kentucky side. The fact that it was nearing dusk, and we'd just driven through Cairo (which is creepy anyway), and had to do it twice (I was Froggie-ing the state of Kentucky) didn't help matters any.

I vaguely remember those bridges, but Cairo itself was far scarier.

Far worse for me was the Irvin S. Cobb Bridge in nearby Paducah, alone, late at night, in very misty air.  The bridge is very narrow -- 19.7 feet, says Wikipedia -- and its two-lane metal grid deck was soaking wet in the mist.  It's a mile long, and it's very dark out there over the sea-like expanse of the Ohio, and my Honda jumped back and forth trying to choose a slot on the grid. It felt constantly like rhe car was just going to lurch far enough to the right that they were going to drag me up in Baton Rouge.

I took I-24 back, to preserve my sanity.

DeaconG

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 28, 2013, 09:01:08 PM

Far worse for me was the Irvin S. Cobb Bridge in nearby Paducah, alone, late at night, in very misty air.  The bridge is very narrow -- 19.7 feet, says Wikipedia -- and its two-lane metal grid deck was soaking wet in the mist.  It's a mile long, and it's very dark out there over the sea-like expanse of the Ohio, and my Honda jumped back and forth trying to choose a slot on the grid. It felt constantly like rhe car was just going to lurch far enough to the right that they were going to drag me up in Baton Rouge.

Just looked it up in GSV.  Damn, and I thought the Burlington-Bristol was narrow.  No, I don't blame you in the least.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

realjd

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 28, 2013, 09:01:08 PM

Reminds me of this one I drove across in Australia:
http://goo.gl/maps/Bh7ns

It even has a similar sharp turn.

Alex4897

The I-95 bridge over the Susquehanna River is unnerving because of it's pitiful barriers separating 60 mph traffic and a watery death 90 ft down.  Although the view of the bluffs down the river and the two bridges to the south helps negate that.
👉😎👉

Alps

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 24, 2013, 10:16:24 PM
The I-95 bridge over the Susquehanna River is unnerving because of it's pitiful barriers separating 60 mph traffic and a watery death 90 ft down.  Although the view of the bluffs down the river and the two bridges to the south helps negate that.
Very narrow shoulders, and the winds funnel down through the cliffs to make for a very harrowing experience when driving a lighter vehicle. I've had my share of white-knuckle rides across there just trying to keep the car away from the median or a truck.

bugo

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on September 25, 2013, 01:24:53 AM
Mine has almost all of yours beat.

yeah, I'm gonna review 9 pages of posts to refresh my memory.  I'm sure it was scary.  good job making it across alive.  yade yada.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mrose

Quote from: mrose on April 22, 2013, 05:04:11 AM
5. The I-43 Tower Bridge in Green Bay, at night, in January, always wondering if the pavement was frozen or not. Did this on a regular basis.

I guess my feelings about this one were somewhat justified.

Indyroads

Quote from: mrose on September 27, 2013, 02:17:47 AM
Quote from: mrose on April 22, 2013, 05:04:11 AM
5. The I-43 Tower Bridge in Green Bay, at night, in January, always wondering if the pavement was frozen or not. Did this on a regular basis.

I guess my feelings about this one were somewhat justified.

you know that feeling you get when you go over a big dip and you get that feeling in your stomach...
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

PColumbus73

There is a bridge(s) on US 701 between Georgetown and Conway, SC I had crossed once that had some dips in them. They looked like they were about to fall down at any moment.

KEVIN_224

Just recently, I had to cross the US Route 22 bridge between Easton, PA and Phillipsburg, NJ. If the dangerous sharp curves on the Pennsylvania side weren't bad enough, the bridge was basically "cut in half" due to construction. One VERY narrow lane on each side! YIKES! :(

Jardine

I wasn't old enough to drive yet, but my dad drove me over the old suspension bridges crossing the Mississippi at Prairie du Chien.

It would have been within a couple years of it's demolition, and it seemed VERY rickety.  If my recollection is correct, the deck was either plank, or (crappy) asphalt over plank.

Buck87

Market Street Bridge, over the Ohio River from downtown Steubenville to WV.

Grating the whole way, 11 foot clearance, rather narrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.