News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Why are the mile markers on Minnesota 62 so high?

Started by Lanturnlord, September 02, 2017, 09:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanturnlord

I went by this mile marker in edina and couldn't figure out why the mile number was so high. Does anyone know anything about this?
Here is a link to mile marker on google streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8882383,-93.3765729,3a,75y,127.74h,77.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swTSuSQ-pYR0ReMy6kV1jBQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

TheHighwayMan3561

The short answer is that there are two MN 62s, with the one in the Twin Cities being the newer one. So to avoid internal confusion (i.e. paperwork, nothing related to the average motorist) when MN 62 in the Twin Cities was established, they started the mileposts at 100+.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Lanturnlord

Ah, that makes sense with the amount of people that use that route too. With the amount of traffic that travels on Mn 62 every day they really should add a third in each direction.

Duke87

This leaves the question... why in blazes did they create a new route using a number that was already in use elsewhere? It's not like there aren't other numbers available.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Lanturnlord

To keep it consistant after the road was tranferred to the state so people would't get confused. It also follows the alignment of 62nd street for quite a ways.

DandyDan

Quote from: Lanturnlord on September 03, 2017, 12:51:12 AM
To keep it consistant after the road was tranferred to the state so people would't get confused. It also follows the alignment of 62nd street for quite a ways.
Which accounts for why Hennepin County numbered it 62 in the first place. IMO, if Minnesota wanted that piece of road to be MN 62, then the original MN 62, between Windom and Fulda in SW MN, should have changed to MN 162.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Lanturnlord

Quote from: DandyDan on September 03, 2017, 01:12:20 AM
Which accounts for why Hennepin County numbered it 62 in the first place. IMO, if Minnesota wanted that piece of road to be MN 62, then the original MN 62, between Windom and Fulda in SW MN, should have changed to MN 162.
I doubt there would be many people confused if they changed the number.

TheHighwayMan3561

This happens in at least one other place in Minnesota as well: the surviving section of US 65 now carries mileposts in the 300s to prevent internal mixups with MN 65.

Lanturnlord

On a related note, why are the mile markers on US 10 in Wisconsin so high?  The total length of US 10 through Wisconsin is 294 miles, but the Oneida Street exit in metro Appleton is numbered 291, and Appleton is sure as heck not three miles from Manitowoc.  Is there some epic typo someone made that just kept getting copied?
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Lanturnlord on September 03, 2017, 01:58:13 AM
I guess mn 101 somewhat applies too.

Not really. The mile markers on MN-101 go back to when it was one continuous route from Shakopee to Elk River.

NE2

Quote from: 20160805 on September 03, 2017, 08:08:07 AM
On a related note, why are the mile markers on US 10 in Wisconsin so high?  The total length of US 10 through Wisconsin is 294 miles, but the Oneida Street exit in metro Appleton is numbered 291, and Appleton is sure as heck not three miles from Manitowoc.  Is there some epic typo someone made that just kept getting copied?
Nobody found an answer here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18457
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Lanturnlord

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 03, 2017, 10:05:11 AM
Not really. The mile markers on MN-101 go back to when it was one continuous route from Shakopee to Elk River.
I was thinking about it in the way that there is two separate roads like mn 62.

NE2

Quote from: Lanturnlord on September 03, 2017, 05:04:53 PM
But there weren't always two separate roads, and the markers haven't changed since then.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Lanturnlord

Quote from: NE2 on September 03, 2017, 05:21:41 PM
Quote from: Lanturnlord on September 03, 2017, 05:04:53 PM
But there weren't always two separate roads, and the markers haven't changed since then.
True.

TheHighwayMan3561

It's really not confusing though so I see no need to renumber either one of them. I didn't even know there was "another" MN 62 until I was a teenager. The original 62 is an insignificant rural road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.