News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: catch22 on October 16, 2013, 09:54:32 AM
According to this article from the Ft. Wayne Journal-Gazette, US-24 is being rerouted to I-69/I-469 on the north side of Ft. Wayne, instead of the south side.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20131015/LOCAL16/131019629

This still makes no sense. All 24 has to do is follow Lafayette Center Road - trade with the county. I know, I brought it up before, and there's that railroad grade crossing. I'll still mention it.

Other peeves: No more wrong-way concurrency. Needing to change all my pages around.

NE2

Hell, cutting down to US 224 is shorter than the rerouting (which is shorter than the old route, and of course Lafayette Center is shortest). The original through-city route is only one mile shorter than Lafayette Center.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

nwi_navigator_1181

The ramp from the Westbound Indiana Toll Road to I-80/94 in Lake Station is closed once again, and it looks like this closure is for the long haul.

According to the Indiana Toll Road website, the ramp is set to be replaced (the timing of the closure had to be done in advance of the excess traffic due to happen in a few weeks) and won't be reopened until Spring 2015. In the meantime, traffic looking to jump to the Borman will have to use I-65, with those looking to access State Road 51 needing to double back on I-80/94 east.

There will be a considerable increase in traffic at the I-65 ramp, so be ready for it.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on October 29, 2013, 11:05:45 PM
The ramp from the Westbound Indiana Toll Road to I-80/94 in Lake Station is closed once again, and it looks like this closure is for the long haul.

According to the Indiana Toll Road website, the ramp is set to be replaced (the timing of the closure had to be done in advance of the excess traffic due to happen in a few weeks) and won't be reopened until Spring 2015. In the meantime, traffic looking to jump to the Borman will have to use I-65, with those looking to access State Road 51 needing to double back on I-80/94 east.

There will be a considerable increase in traffic at the I-65 ramp, so be ready for it.

Why does it take so long just to rebuild one ramp?

NE2

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 30, 2013, 12:32:56 AM
Privatization.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on October 29, 2013, 11:05:45 PM

It's a very old, decrepit flyover.  My guess is that it will have to be taken down to ground level and then replaced in its entirety.

In the meantime, you can also get off at the Portage Exit on the Toll Road (Exit 23) and get on I-94 just a couple of miles north (Exit 19, IN-249).  It's the same road.

Quote from: NE2 on October 30, 2013, 06:44:02 AM
Privatization.

And that explains why other public projects take so long?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

mgk920

What happened to the major rebuild of that interchange that was being designed in the late 1990s/early doubleaughts?

:hmmm:

Mike

Brandon

Quote from: mgk920 on October 30, 2013, 10:21:11 AM
What happened to the major rebuild of that interchange that was being designed in the late 1990s/early doubleaughts?

Mike

Apparently they all came to nothing.  I have no idea why they never came to fruition, even after the lease of the Toll Road and the rebuilding of the Borman.  Anyone from Indiana have any idea why?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on October 30, 2013, 12:35:49 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on October 30, 2013, 10:21:11 AM

Mike

Apparently they all came to nothing.  I have no idea why they never came to fruition, even after the lease of the Toll Road and the rebuilding of the Borman.  Anyone from Indiana have any idea why?

they don't want to rework the tolls?

The rest area is in the way?

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 30, 2013, 08:11:49 PMthey don't want to rework the tolls?

There was a concept map that took the service areas in consideration during reconstruction, so they definitely kept it in mind. It just seems to me that money was an issue. Now that the Toll Road is out of INDOT's hands, it seems it's more difficult to pull off.

As for the length of time to rebuild the ramp, keep in mind the closure has started, not necessarily the work. Also, as stated, I'm sure the closure was done well in advance not just because of the amount of truck traffic that uses that ramp, but also the potential increase of traffic during the upcoming travel season. I'm sure full-blown work won't start until this spring.

Finally, as Brandon said, with the height of the ramp (it is the highest point in the tri-stack flyover system), it would require a few extra steps to take down and rebuild the bridge.

I'm surprised that they kept the decision to rebuild the ramp as "under the radar" as they did.

mukade

New road signs have been put up in Ripley County and throughout the state recognizing a historic byway, Michigan Road. It's Indiana's newest state Byway. The signs are along US 421, not Michigan Road...

Historic Byway Michigan Road: New signs dot roads in many parts of the state (Indiana Economic Digest)

theline

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on October 30, 2013, 09:24:03 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 30, 2013, 08:11:49 PMthey don't want to rework the tolls?

There was a concept map that took the service areas in consideration during reconstruction, so they definitely kept it in mind. It just seems to me that money was an issue. Now that the Toll Road is out of INDOT's hands, it seems it's more difficult to pull off.

As for the length of time to rebuild the ramp, keep in mind the closure has started, not necessarily the work. Also, as stated, I'm sure the closure was done well in advance not just because of the amount of truck traffic that uses that ramp, but also the potential increase of traffic during the upcoming travel season. I'm sure full-blown work won't start until this spring.

Finally, as Brandon said, with the height of the ramp (it is the highest point in the tri-stack flyover system), it would require a few extra steps to take down and rebuild the bridge.

I'm surprised that they kept the decision to rebuild the ramp as "under the radar" as they did.

Keep in mind that this means the main line I-80 is down for that entire period, since this ramp carries that interstate from the ITR to the Borman. That's a very long time to have it down, but it's the price we pay for privatization.

I'm not sure what Joe meant about "reworking the tolls." Traffic on the main carriageway of the ITR hits a toll barrier shortly before this ramp, so there is no toll charged on the ramp being closed. I'm not clear though on whether the toll road managers benefit financially by rerouting the I-80 traffic an extra 8 miles to the west to reach the I-65 exit. Does anyone know if a toll is charged on that exit ramp (ITR WB to I-65 SB)?

Joe The Dragon

I think the old plan have all of the ramps moved?? and that may ended up with have to build new tolls well maybe they did want to keep part both some of old ramps and build new ones?

also to give traffic from the sky way / in toll road high speed ramps / better ramps to 94 going up to MI may need long lanes from the old toll area to the new ramps or even a new toll area.

also IN toll road and skyway needs gate free high speed tolling.

mobilene

Quote from: mukade on October 30, 2013, 09:59:04 PM
New road signs have been put up in Ripley County and throughout the state recognizing a historic byway, Michigan Road. It's Indiana's newest state Byway. The signs are along US 421, not Michigan Road...

Historic Byway Michigan Road: New signs dot roads in many parts of the state (Indiana Economic Digest)

Thanks for sharing that. I'm past President and current VP of the Historic Michigan Road Association, which is working with INDOT and local authorities to get these signs placed. 

www.historicmichiganroad.org.

-Jim
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

NE2

QuoteThe signs are along US 421, not Michigan Road.
QuoteThe county highway department installed the signs on Old Michigan Road as the alternate route.
Huh? So are signs on (Old) Michigan Road or not?

Also, what happens to signs where US 421 joins I-74?

mgk920

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 30, 2013, 11:25:01 PM
I think the old plan have all of the ramps moved?? and that may ended up with have to build new tolls well maybe they did want to keep part both some of old ramps and build new ones?

also to give traffic from the sky way / in toll road high speed ramps / better ramps to 94 going up to MI may need long lanes from the old toll area to the new ramps or even a new toll area.

also IN toll road and skyway needs gate free high speed tolling.

The plan that I remember was to build an elaborate, fairly conventional-looking urban/suburban freeway-to-tollway interchange with direct free-flowing ramps in all directions, with tollgates/gantries to be installed on all of the appropriate ramps (the west-pointing ones as they connect with the Toll Road mainline).  The ramps connecting to the service plazas would be woven into it.

As things stand now, the Toll Road's mainline 'ticket' tollgate is already far enough east of there so as to not be a factor in its design.

Mike

nwi_navigator_1181

To answer theline, there is no toll for the Westbound Toll Road to Southbound I-65 ramp.

theline

Thanks navigator. If I ever took that ramp from ITR WB to I-65 SB, it's been so long that I forgot if there was a toll.

mgk, you expressed in a much clearer way what I was trying to say about toll gates not being a factor in the ITR/Borman interchange. When the mainline barrier was placed just east of that interchange years ago, the toll booths at that interchange were removed.

Joe is right that gate-free tolling would be a great improvement, but it may be years away. The concessionaire has to figure the ROI on an expensive project, and their calculation is never to going to consider driver convenience, unless inconvenience drives enough users away from the road.

Joe The Dragon

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: theline on October 31, 2013, 10:17:13 PM
Thanks navigator. If I ever took that ramp from ITR WB to I-65 SB, it's been so long that I forgot if there was a toll.

mgk, you expressed in a much clearer way what I was trying to say about toll gates not being a factor in the ITR/Borman interchange. When the mainline barrier was placed just east of that interchange years ago, the toll booths at that interchange were removed.

Joe is right that gate-free tolling would be a great improvement, but it may be years away. The concessionaire has to figure the ROI on an expensive project, and their calculation is never to going to consider driver convenience, unless inconvenience drives enough users away from the road.

how much does broken gates cost them???  The 15MPH EZ-pass / i-Zoom / I-pass lanes have gates in them and they kind of look the like the 15-30 ones in IL but with a gate deep down them. I almost took one out one day.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 31, 2013, 10:20:30 PM
can some one post the old plan??

My idea may be some like the old one.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10031.msg236493#msg236493

This is the ramp system that was put into concept, tying into the nearby service areas. Follow the link provided.

ssummers72

I did not think that was still out there (scanned by me in the early 2000's)

http://web.archive.org/web/20021220081218/http://nwindianahwys.homestead.com/i80909451newint.html

These plans predate the Daniels' administration and they were slated to be the final phasing of the I-80/94 (Borman Expressway) widening a rebuilding project. This project was completed to a point just past Clay St. in Lake Station. I am not aware of at this time whether these plans will ever be revived.

Stephen Summers

mukade

Overshadowed by US 31, SR 25, and I-69, US 35 will have had five roadway changes in little over a year thanks to Major Moves:
- approximately one mile of new divided highway east of US 31 bypass in Kokomo (concurrent with SR 22)
- approximately 5 miles of new terrain freeway in Kokomo (concurrent with US 31)
- approximately 1.5 miles of new terrain alignment west of US 31
- approximately one mile on new terrain alignment of the Logansport south bypass (concurrent with US 24)
- approximately .5 mile of rebuilt and widened highway north of SR 25 in Logansport

All of these sections have concrete pavement, and include four new interchanges.

New terrain US 35 approaching SR 931 (old US 31) north of Kokomo

mobilene

Quote from: NE2 on October 31, 2013, 02:56:40 PM
Huh? So are signs on (Old) Michigan Road or not?

Also, what happens to signs where US 421 joins I-74?

Getting signs posted along the Historic Michigan Road Byway means working with state, county, and city/town officials, and each group moves at its own pace.

INDOT has actually been the most responsive group. They have overall been extremely cooperative and have been first in most places along the 270-mile byway to put up signs.

In Ripley County, "old" Michigan Road and US 421 from north of Madison to about Napoleon are both designated as the byway. INDOT got the signs up first along US 421. We're still working with Ripley County, I believe, on placing ALT signs and arrow signs pointing to the old Michigan Road alignment off US 421.  (Yes, the old alignment came first, but from a heritage tourism standpoint it is far less interesting as there isn't much on it. So we decided that US 421 will remain the primary alignment of the byway because it passes through two towns.) I imagine that the only signs on the older alignment will be at its ends, directing drivers back onto US 421.

The stretch of I-74 southeast of Indy that was built on top of the Michigan Road is officially part of the byway. We will place signs directing drivers on/off I-74 at the London Road and Acton Road exits. The only regret is that I-74 skirts the Pleasant View area and the original alignment of the road reappears there. But it is not through.

-Jim
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

theline

All 4 lanes of the reconstructed SR-23 near the Notre Dame campus opened today, as that project nears completion. A couple of intersections remain partially or completely closed, as final work continues. All signals are operational, but signage is minimal for now.

This eliminates the troublesome intersection referred to locally as "five points," a name which indicates a lack of math skills. The old intersection was the crossroads for three streets, all of which extended both ways from the intersection. Wouldn't that be "six points"? Well, it's moot now.

Here's the story from WSBT television: http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/today-crews-opening-all-lanes-of-new-state-road-23-near-notre-dame/-/21046398/22992140/-/pg5ivfz/-/index.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.