News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Language issues

Started by agentsteel53, January 30, 2010, 01:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truvelo

Quote from: Bryant5493 on February 01, 2010, 02:38:12 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on February 01, 2010, 11:43:38 AM
I have another one for someone to have a go at:

Congressbury

Congs-bree (?)

Be well,

Bryant

Is this a guess or did you google it?
Speed limits limit life

mightyace

Those of you who speak the Queen's English can tell me how the corresponding city in England is pronounced.

The largest city near the original Pennsylvania Dutch Country is Lancaster, PA.

IIRC We pronounced in Lan-kast-ur

Is the city in England pronounced Lank-ast-ur?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Bryant5493

Quote from: Truvelo on February 01, 2010, 03:19:04 PM
Quote from: Bryant5493 on February 01, 2010, 02:38:12 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on February 01, 2010, 11:43:38 AM
I have another one for someone to have a go at:

Congressbury

Congs-bree (?)

Be well,

Bryant

Is this a guess or did you google it?

I cheated a bit; I wiki'd it. ;-)

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Truvelo

Quote from: mightyace on February 01, 2010, 05:20:15 PM
Those of you who speak the Queen's English can tell me how the corresponding city in England is pronounced.

The largest city near the original Pennsylvania Dutch Country is Lancaster, PA.

Most people would say Lan-kast-a
Speed limits limit life

exit322

The Lancaster in Ohio is more Lank-is-ter with emphasis on the 'lank'

Truvelo

Another way of saying it is Lan-kas-ta
Speed limits limit life

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on February 01, 2010, 05:20:15 PMThe largest city near the original Pennsylvania Dutch Country is Lancaster, PA.

A friend of mine back in college who was from York, would correct me when I would call it "Lank-as-ter" and say it is pronounced "Lankas-ter."

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on February 02, 2010, 03:30:35 PM
Quote from: mightyace on February 01, 2010, 05:20:15 PMThe largest city near the original Pennsylvania Dutch Country is Lancaster, PA.

A friend of mine back in college who was from York, would correct me when I would call it "Lank-as-ter" and say it is pronounced "Lankas-ter."

Man, one place name, gazillion pronunciations and apparently I picked the most oddball one...  :banghead:

On a different vein, from my Ohio days, my church softball team played for a couple of years in Louisville, OH.

Now the locals pronounced it Lou-is-vil as opposed to the city in Kentucky which is commonly referred to as Lou-eee-vil

Chris

I would say "lou-eee-vil" as well.

About Indianapolis, where do you put the accent on? like "Indiana-polis" or "India-napolis"?

mightyace

One that really annoys me is
Lafayette St. in Nashville in which the local insist on pronouncing it LA-fay-et!  :pan:

Or the county I live in (Maury) is pronounced Mur-ri or the same as Murray.  Maury is supposedly an alternate spelling of Murray.  The funny thing is that Tennessee also as a Murray County as well as Maury County.

aswnl

Well, in the USA there are a lot of town-names directly taken from the old world of the immigrants. English, French, German, Spanish and Dutch townnames often all pronounced differently than the original name in the original country.

Duke87

Same spelling, different pronunciation... quite common between various areas even within the US. See "New urk", New Jersey versus "New aark", Delaware. Or "Hyoo-stun", Texas versus "How-stun" Street in New York.

Even locally, though, there can be differences in the pronunciation of the same thing. I've always pronounced Schermerhorn Street in Brooklyn "Sker mer horn", but some pronounce it "Sher mer horn". I've always pronounced the Van Wyck Expressway "Van Wick" (like on a candle), but it's not unheard of to hear someone say "Van Wike" (rhymes with "bike"). Everyone in my family has always pronounced Buhre Avenue in my old neighborhood in The Bronx "byoor" (and the recorded announcements on the subway concur with this), but I've heard people say "byoor-ee" and "boor-ee" as well. Supposedly the last one is the most historically correct.
And nobody here in Stamford can agree on whether Culloden Road is pronounced "Cull uh din" or "Cuh low din".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Bryant5493

I know I've heard New Orleans pronounced numerous ways.

1) New Oil-ins
2) New Or-leens
3) Naw-lins
4) New Or-lee-ins

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Chris

I usually pronounce it "New Or-lens" (quickly), but many Dutchmen indeed say "New Orleeeeeens" like in "jeans".

The French would say "Nouvelle Orléans". There is a major city in France called Orléans, just south of Paris, maybe the name originated there.

Dougtone

Quote from: Bryant5493 on February 07, 2010, 09:00:59 PM
I know I've heard New Orleans pronounced numerous ways.

1) New Oil-ins
2) New Or-leens
3) Naw-lins
4) New Or-lee-ins

Be well,

Bryant

I tend to pronounce New Orleans as "New Oar-lins".

Dougtone

In New York State, there are two ways to pronounce Gouverneur.  The town Gouverneur in St. Lawrence County is pronounced "guv-er-noar".  There's also a street and a few other place names in New York City that pronounces Gouverneur as "goo-ver-neer".

Gouverneur was named after the Gouverneur Morris, who was a statesman from the early days of the United States of America.

Brandon

Quote from: Chris on February 08, 2010, 04:04:07 AM
I usually pronounce it "New Or-lens" (quickly), but many Dutchmen indeed say "New Orleeeeeens" like in "jeans".

The French would say "Nouvelle Orléans". There is a major city in France called Orléans, just south of Paris, maybe the name originated there.

In English it is usually "Nuh Or-lins" by the locals, IIRC.  However, the French way is very well accepted.  In fact, New Orleans was named for exactly that, Chris.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.