News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Naming things after veterans

Started by papaT10932, February 21, 2010, 01:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papaT10932

It seems like everything under the sun these days is named in honor of veterans. Although its noble in theory... the countless number of things (highways, bridges, and some of the most insignificant overpasses on Earth) that are named after veterans has got me thinking. Are these things really named to honor verterans, or does it have more to do with the politician who looks really good at "the ribbon cutting ceremony?"

Perhaps, more importantly, is this a valid question or am I just a cynical jerk?  :no: :pan: :no:

J N Winkler

For some politicians, voting for veterans' memorial designations for highways is a way to forget that they kept their BDUs clean and boots shiny while others fought and died.  Also, since memorial highway designations are a state function and support services for veterans are a federal function, it spares them from actually having to allocate money for the support services veterans need.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mightyace

It seems like every bridge on a freeway in TN is named after some veteran and many on other roads.

With so many, I really don't think too many mean much outside the family and friends of the person in question.

So, who benefits?

The public?  Generally not.  I mean how many people know who Alvin York or Richard Bong are, let alone Joe Ordinary?

The family and friends of the veteran? Probably a lot.

The politicians involved? Could be a lot as it gets them in the news.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

WillWeaverRVA

Pretty much every bridge and overpass in Virginia is being named for a fallen state trooper or recent war veteran. I'm guessing they ran out of state troopers and major bridges in places where they (or the fallen soldiers) lived because they're naming even insignificant bridges over creeks and very, very short stretches of SR's (secondary routes) after them. It's a nice gesture, but I'm not so sure having a bridge over a swamp or small creek being named after you is much of a tribute...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Scott5114

I think it's generally a waste of metal. When I pass by a sign commemorating the life of J. Random Statetrooper, I have no idea who the hell he is or what he did worthy enough to have a stretch of highway named after him. The sign's not going to tell me about him.

Then again I think all memorial designations are a waste of time if they're not going to be the primary name of the highway. Had they named the Lake Hefner Parkway in Oklahoma City after somebody when it opened, that would be okay, as we would all be calling it by that name instead of "Lake Hefner Parkway". But naming a stretch of I-35 is useless–nobody's going to call it that...it will always be I-35.

There's a stretch of I-35 in Moore named after the local representative's mother :ded:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

papaT10932

...And then there is always the vague and general "war memorial highway." If there was one cross-country US route that was known as a memorial highway, that would be fine. BUT, when every state has dozens of different highways designated with the same moniker "veteran's memorial highway", a noble tribute turns into a waste of signage.

bugo

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on February 21, 2010, 09:56:48 PM
Pretty much every bridge and overpass in Virginia is being named for a fallen state trooper or recent war veteran. I'm guessing they ran out of state troopers and major bridges in places where they (or the fallen soldiers) lived because they're naming even insignificant bridges over creeks and very, very short stretches of SR's (secondary routes) after them. It's a nice gesture, but I'm not so sure having a bridge over a swamp or small creek being named after you is much of a tribute...

Oklahoma does the same thing, but not nearly as often as Virginia. 

Brandon

Quote from: papaT10932 on February 22, 2010, 09:10:04 AM
...And then there is always the vague and general "war memorial highway." If there was one cross-country US route that was known as a memorial highway, that would be fine. BUT, when every state has dozens of different highways designated with the same moniker "veteran's memorial highway", a noble tribute turns into a waste of signage.

Very true, even when they rename the road.  Example in point, I-355 in Illinois.  When originally opened, it was the "North-South Tollway".  A bland name, I thought "Central DuPage Tollway" or something along that line would've been better.  Now, then the new section was opened, it was renamed the "Veterans Memorial Tollway", and as a kicker, it was opened formally on November 11, 2007.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Ian

Though I do have respect for fallen veterans, there are waaaay to many veteran memorial highways, bridges, tunnels, etc. But for one thing, I-495 in Delaware has the best looking sign for a veteran highway...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 22, 2010, 03:27:05 PM
Though I do have respect for fallen veterans, there are waaaay to many veteran memorial highways, bridges, tunnels, etc. But for one thing, I-495 in Delaware has the best looking sign for a veteran highway...

And they kept that design with carbon copies a few years ago. However, I have never ever heard anyone ever refer to Interstate 495 by its memorial designation. Its simply "495".

The War Memorial by the Delaware Memorial Bridge is the way to go when memorializing infrastructure for veterans. There you can stop, walk around, and reflect on those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

agentsteel53

I was talking to someone about this a couple days ago; if only they had placed old-specification signs along the memorial signs?

was driving down US-87 in San Angelo TX, and passing the US-67 overpass - where there is a memorial sign dedicated to some long-dead senator (and it has a modern 87 shield)... and I thought to myself, why can't they make those memorial green signs feature the classic designs?  Instead of just "87", why not "Texas US 87"?  They are in no way an impediment to navigation since, at the time you see the memorial sign, no ambiguity about which lane to follow and which way to go (they are located far enough away from intersections) - so therefore the old-style signs would be perfectly appropriate in these situations.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

D-Dey65

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on February 21, 2010, 09:56:48 PM
You've got the same thing in Florida. State Road 52 is named the "Schrader Memorial Highway" (apparently for some State Trooper) and much of US 98 in Pasco County was named for a Sheriff who was gunned down in Trilacoochee a few years back. I don't know if you're aware of this, but for a while I was trying to convince FDOT #7 to name some stretch of road after Lois Marrero, the first female Tampa Police Officer to die in the line of duty.

http://www.tampagov.net/dept_Police/information_resources/Honoring_Our_Heros/lois_marrero.asp

The trouble is, I could never think of an appropriate street for this memorial.

xonhulu

One ironic memorial in Oregon is the Dennis Edwards Memorial Tunnel (formerly the Sunset Tunnel) on US 26 west of Portland.  Dennis Edwards was an ODOT employee who died when part of the tunnel collapsed while he was inspecting a leaking section in 1999, so in 2001/2002 they renamed the tunnel in his honor.  A bit grim for his memorial to be the thing that killed him!

Alps

Quote from: xonhulu on February 23, 2010, 09:34:46 PM
One ironic memorial in Oregon is the Dennis Edwards Memorial Tunnel (formerly the Sunset Tunnel) on US 26 west of Portland.  Dennis Edwards was an ODOT employee who died when part of the tunnel collapsed while he was inspecting a leaking section in 1999, so in 2001/2002 they renamed the tunnel in his honor.  A bit grim for his memorial to be the thing that killed him!
To add to that, it's also one of the problems with naming something after living people.  Imagine if Bush were traveling down his Turnpike or flying out of his Airport and something happened.  I'm not sure the media would even be smart enough to pick up on the connection...

J N Winkler

For George H.W. Bush (41st President)--after whom both Turnpike and Airport are named--no, probably not.  But if they were named after George W. Bush (43rd President), definitely yes!
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeek Adam

Or there's the Korean War Veterans Pkwy on Staten Island which, 13 years later, is STILL signed "formerly the Richmond Parkway". Everyone calls it the Richmond, what was the point of renaming the entire thing?
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

bulldog1979

Quote from: papaT10932 on February 22, 2010, 09:10:04 AM

Michigan has 6 (!) Veterans Memorial Highways. That's not counting the memorial highways for specific wars. There are highways for 4 military units, one of which, M-107 has been decommissioned as a state highway, but is the 107th Engineers Memorial Road still. There are highways memorializing Korea, Pearl Harbor, POW/MIA, Purple Hearts, Vietnam, the Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, two for the American Legion, one for AMVETS, two for Disabled American Veterans, the Soldier's Memorial Highway. Now many of Michigan's memorial highways are not signed, but the fact still remains there are a half dozen identically named "Veterans Memorial Highways". The newest such designation was along M-28 in 2003, where 11 signs were erected at all of the highway junctions between US 2 and the Ishpeming-Negaunee city line where it terminates. I dare say that men and women in uniform have more highway honors than politicians here.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bulldog1979 on February 27, 2010, 01:47:42 PM
I dare say that men and women in uniform have more highway honors than politicians here.

can't say that's a bad thing.  Unless Senator Average J. Bubblebutt was a service member too, there is likely very little reason to commemorate him.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.