News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

The Guess That Bridge thread!

Started by MCRoads, July 20, 2020, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

I remember checking out the bridge after a discussion we had on another thread about US 41 ending at itself in Copper Harbor, which is not far away.

Image from GSV

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Since nobody's posted for a few months and I just want an excuse to post this picture I took, I'll revive the thread. I think there are enough visual clues, especially if you know my travel habits. (With that said, plain, what was the one in your photo?)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jlam

I think the last one was the Ramsey Harbor Bridge on the Isle of Man. As for this one, it could be almost anything. How about the Mackinac Bridge?

kphoger

Quote from: jlam on June 30, 2022, 11:18:20 PM
I think the last one was the Ramsey Harbor Bridge on the Isle of Man. As for this one, it could be almost anything. How about the Mackinac Bridge?

Judging by the railroad ties, I expect it to be a more urban environment.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

It is not the Mackinac Bridge. I've been over that, but if I have any pictures, they would be prints because I crossed it in August 1987 on a family vacation.

kphoger is on the right track generally. (edited a second time to add: Very bad pun completely not intended and I only noticed the pun much later.)

Edited to add: I looked at Google Street View and you're right about plain's photo.

jmacswimmer

Would that be the Delaware Memorial Bridge, taken from the Northeast Corridor on the stretch where it, I-495, & US 13 are all squeezed up against the Delaware River?

(Like kphoger, I figured it had to be the Northeast Corridor from the start based on the concrete ties, and I thought it was the Newport Pell Bridge at first before remembering that the NPB's suspension cables are anchored at the water level, unlike the DMB.)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 01, 2022, 10:25:14 AM
Would that be the Delaware Memorial Bridge, taken from the Northeast Corridor on the stretch where it, I-495, & US 13 are all squeezed up against the Delaware River?

Looks awfully similar:  https://goo.gl/maps/vem3qjNfdsJ2w8LF9
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 01, 2022, 10:25:14 AM

(Like kphoger, I figured it had to be the Northeast Corridor from the start based on the concrete ties, and I thought it was the Newport Pell Bridge at first before remembering that the NPB's suspension cables are anchored at the water level, unlike the DMB.)

You are exactly right. I took the picture on Wednesday afternoon shortly before 6:30 PM from a southbound Acela train approaching Wilmington. I liked the picture just because it is a very different view of the bridge than most of us are used to seeing, especially those of us whose travels in the area are usually via the conventional I-95/I-295/New Jersey Turnpike combo. (I was also pleased to get a good picture out the window because inevitably trees, power poles, etc., get in the way.)

Clues I had been thinking about using, had nobody gotten it, included: "A lot of non-roadgeeks seem to think this bridge is part of a different route than it actually is" (meaning a lot of non-roadgeeks seem to think I-95 goes over the bridge and up the Turnpike) and "There are two bridges in this photo even if you can't quite see both of them."

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 01, 2022, 10:32:52 AM
I liked the picture just because it is a very different view of the bridge than most of us are used to seeing, especially those of us whose travels in the area are usually via the conventional I-95/I-295/New Jersey Turnpike combo. (I was also pleased to get a good picture out the window because inevitably trees, power poles, etc., get in the way.)

I agree that this a better view of the DMB than elsewhere - I tend to drive I-495 more often than I-295/NJTP whenever heading up that direction, and it's always a nice view when heading south (especially at night, when the streetlights all the way across the DMB are lit up). The view from I-495 south at the top of the Christina River Bridge is a nice one, too.

"There are two bridges in this photo even if you can't quite see both of them."

This actually threw me off the DMB at first for that exact reason - you clearly took that picture at the exact right angle where the suspension towers were perfectly in line with the camera!
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jmacswimmer

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 01, 2022, 10:44:56 AM
I liked the picture just because it is a very different view of the bridge than most of us are used to seeing, especially those of us whose travels in the area are usually via the conventional I-95/I-295/New Jersey Turnpike combo. (I was also pleased to get a good picture out the window because inevitably trees, power poles, etc., get in the way.)

I agree that this a better view of the DMB than elsewhere - I tend to drive I-495 more often than I-295/NJTP whenever heading up that direction, and it's always a nice view when heading south (especially at night, when the streetlights all the way across the DMB are lit up). The view from I-495 south at the top of the Christina River Bridge is a nice one, too.

Heh, you know, it's funny, in my prior post I said, "those of us whose travels in the area are usually via the conventional I-95/I-295/New Jersey Turnpike combo." That was true for me for most of my life, but now my travel through that area is almost exclusively via Acela. If I do drive north, I usually take other routes just in the interest of going a different way (e.g., our last drive north was in June 2019 and I took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge so as to drive the new US-301, then took I-495/I-95 to I-476 to Scranton in order to almost clinch the Northeast Extension). In spite of that, to me any view of the Delaware Memorial Bridge other than the one you see when you're driving from Virginia to New York via I-95 to I-295, or the opposite route via either the New Jersey Turnpike or I-295, still looks different to me from what I got used to seeing in all my years of travel that way in the back seat of my parents' cars when I was a kid. I recall my brother and I were riding with our father on a Boy Scout trip to Pennsylvania in the late 1980s on which we used I-95 in Wilmington and on the trip home my father commented on how weird it looked to see the Delaware Memorial Bridge from that very different angle.

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 01, 2022, 10:44:56 AM
"There are two bridges in this photo even if you can't quite see both of them."

This actually threw me off the DMB at first for that exact reason - you clearly took that picture at the exact right angle where the suspension towers were perfectly in line with the camera!

That was just totally dumb luck, to be honest. Shooting out the window on a moving train is always a crapshoot, and it can be even more so at times on the Acela given that top speed between New York and DC reaches 135 mph (I don't know how fast it was going when I took that picture). I was just really happy when I saw what I had lucked into with that particular picture and that's what made me want to post it here–plus I figured that very aspect might maybe make it a little bit trickier for someone to guess.

plain

I think the last one was the Ramsey Harbor Bridge on the Isle of Man.

Yep that was it lol

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9mVocQz7VpLMzEm77

As for the current bridge, is it US 522 over the Potomac?
Newark born, Richmond bred

jmacswimmer

Quote from: plain on July 02, 2022, 02:31:57 PM
As for the current bridge, is it US 522 over the Potomac?

It is not US 522 nor the Potomac...but the route in question also ends in 2, and the river in question also drains to the Chesapeake Bay.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

dlsterner

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 01, 2022, 10:48:07 AM
Next, taken by yours truly:

This looks like the Norman Wood Bridge, where PA 372 crosses the Susquehanna River.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: dlsterner on July 02, 2022, 05:53:29 PM
This looks like the Norman Wood Bridge, where PA 372 crosses the Susquehanna River.

Correct! There's a parking area right off PA 372 on the west side of the bridge for an old canal lock, and from there you can easily walk down to the riverbank and out into the riverbed (much of which is dried up due to a closed dam just upstream), and that's where I shot that pic from.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

dlsterner

Here is my entry to guess.  It's a GSV image where I have blotted out a few parts that would make it too easy.

Have fun!

iPhone

dlsterner

Quote from: dlsterner on July 04, 2022, 02:16:15 PM
Here is my entry to guess.  It's a GSV image where I have blotted out a few parts that would make it too easy.

Have fun!
iPhone

One week later, No guesses???  How about I give a clue:

You may find yourself breaking into song while crossing this bridge.

MCRoads

Does it happen to take you home?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

dlsterner

Quote from: dlsterner on July 10, 2022, 03:31:03 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on July 04, 2022, 02:16:15 PM

Have fun!
iPhone

One week later, No guesses???  How about I give a clue:

You may find yourself breaking into song while crossing this bridge.

Three weeks, no guesses???  This thread is too fun to let die.  Another clue:

This bridge is the first suspension bridge built in its state (1947) and is the only one to carry highway traffic.

Sapphuby

Searched up "bridges built in 1947", this was quite surprisingly the first result, guess you spilled too much :D. This would be the Hal W. Adams bridge, carrying Florida State Highway 51 over the Suwannee River.

dlsterner

Quote from: Sapphuby on August 05, 2022, 01:06:05 AM
Searched up "bridges built in 1947", this was quite surprisingly the first result, guess you spilled too much :D. This would be the Hal W. Adams bridge, carrying Florida State Highway 51 over the Suwannee River.

Sapphuby, you are correct!  Your turn to post a bridge picture for us to guess!

I may have given away too much, but nobody had hazarded a guess in about a month.

Here is the GSV of the bridge, but without the blots.  You can see why I blotted those parts out.   https://goo.gl/maps/wWJmMDaLQvtUA2gx6

MCRoads

Quote from: dlsterner on August 05, 2022, 02:31:11 AM
Quote from: Sapphuby on August 05, 2022, 01:06:05 AM

Sapphuby, you are correct!  Your turn to post a bridge picture for us to guess!

I may have given away too much, but nobody had hazarded a guess in about a month.

Here is the GSV of the bridge, but without the blots.  You can see why I blotted those parts out.   https://goo.gl/maps/wWJmMDaLQvtUA2gx6

Florida has a suspension bridge???
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Sapphuby

Not motivated right about now, so I give the post to someone else who wants to do it.

CoreySamson

Alright, I've got one somewhat close to me:

Image is from Wikipedia.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

CoreySamson

No guesses? Here's a hint: this bridge is not in use for vehicle traffic as of now, but it is still standing currently.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.